PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

hydro
09-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Worst final in recent US Open history? I blinked and it was over.

oleada
09-12-2010, 02:31 AM
That was quick! Congrats to Kim! :cheer:

((((Vera)))) If I were you, I'd try to get over my pain with a certain ex-Abercrombie model coach :D

A Russian will win the girl's title, so their depth is still there.
(And Beefie & Fergus' favorite Jack Sock in the junior mens')

Beefcake
09-12-2010, 02:38 AM
A Russian will win the girl's title, so their depth is still there.
(And Beefie & Fergus' favorite Jack Sock in the junior mens')
Stole my thunder, oleada. I was just gonna :cheer: for the All-USA Men's Grand Slam Final! (Juniors)

Tomorrow noon: Junior Boys' Singles - Final: Denis Kudla (USA)[10] vs. Jack Sock (USA)

:encore: Kim! Never in doubt. That's basically a "3-peat" for Kim ... won the past three USO's she's played, and holds a 21 match winning streak there.

Fergus
09-12-2010, 02:55 AM
I was just gonna :cheer: for the All-USA Men's Grand Slam Final! (Juniors)

Tomorrow noon: Junior Boys' Singles - Final: Denis Kudla (USA)[10] vs. Jack Sock (USA)

Cheers for the Young Masters Sock and Kudla! :cheer2:

And of course huge cheers to Kim!

I'm still :wideeyes: over Fed vs. Djok. 66 UE's for Rog, its just mind-boggling.

Hopefully Djok still has some gas in the tank to make it competitive tomorrow!

oleada
09-12-2010, 03:12 AM
As for the girls, I saw Gavrilova play at the YOG, and she's a really crafty player who plays with a lot of dropshots, angles and lobs. Really, really clever at changing her strategies when one isn't working; and can hit hard when she wants to. Also, she's fiesty. :lol: Have never seen Putintseva play, but heard that she can make Rodionova look like a peach, so I'm both intrigued and horrified. :yikes:

neptune
09-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Worst final in recent US Open history?

That depends--do you consider the last 35 years recent? ;)

I blinked and it was over.

Well, you were one of the lucky ones. :lol:

judgejudy27
09-12-2010, 03:51 AM
This felt like the Wimbledon final replayed all over again. Play such excellent tennis to make the final then become a trainwreck in. Can Vera be barred from ever playing a Slam final ever again. In addition to her toughness and composure issues, it is also questionable she has the kind of game to keep up with the likes of Serena, Kim, Justine, on a hot day, another reason a slam final with her in it is setting up for probable dissapointment.

I really hope Djokovic wins tommorow even though I am also a Nadal fan. I think Djokovic needs this title more.

Coco
09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Honestly, though...Vera didn't seem to be playing that poorly. I don't think that Wozniacki made whoever it was "make those errors," but I think Kim was the culprit for about 80% of Vera's UEs tonight. She moved her from side to side like it was nothing. Vera was forced to play defense the entire match. As dodgy as Kim was earlier in the tournament, she was razor sharp tonight.

neptune
09-12-2010, 04:13 AM
The only good news for Federer is he is saved from the slaughter he was going to get from Nadal in the final.

I heard Roger purposely donated the last 3 games. ;)

Can Vera be barred from ever playing a Slam final ever again.

Well, Kim did lose her first four finals...

I really hope Djokovic wins tommorow even though I am also a Nadal fan. I think Djokovic needs this title more.

I'll be happy for either one, but I have a feeling the Nadal Express is going to be hard to stop.

As dodgy as Kim was earlier in the tournament, she was razor sharp tonight.

And last I heard, doctors were still trying to stop Vera's bleeding. :D

I was just wondering--has anyone ever won 3 or more titles of a single Grand Slam, like Kim, but never won a different one?

I also wonder why Kim didn't play this well against Sam and Venus. If she had, she would've won both matches in straight sets IMO. It was nice to see how gracious she was after winning too, telling Vera to just keep at it and a big title will come eventually. She didn't seem to gloat one bit. Novak was also gracious, saying that he was pretty lucky to make the final.

BTW, did anybody catch Vera's press conference? A reporter asked her, "Vera, what do you think of yourself as a tennis player?"

Her response: "I'm the penultimate!!!" ;)

Aaron W
09-12-2010, 04:26 AM

I like Djokovic and would like to see him win some more slams, but I'll probably be rooting for Nadal tomorrow as I'd like to see him achieve the career grand slam. But I am really torn over this final because I don't want to see either one of them make it this far only to fall at the very end.

neptune
09-12-2010, 04:44 AM
I just heard that Clijsters will drop to #5 now that she's successfully defended her title at the U.S. Open. Of course, that makes a lot of sense. :huh:

Oh, I was wondering--does anyone know if the Williams sisters have ever been asked to be on Dancing with the Stars? I would think they'd be a sure bet, given the way the American media just adore them. I have no idea how good they'd be at dancing, though.

venja
09-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Over two million dollars - nice paycheque. When both Clijsters and Henin came back I thought that Henin would be the one doing way better of the two. Good for Clijsters.

I must say, however, that this was a less than memorable US Open tournament for me (other than the Djokovic and Federer semifinal).

judgejudy27
09-12-2010, 06:50 AM
I have a feeling next year will be a better one for the Belgian girls. I think Kim will win the Australian Open for the first time. She wont want all her slams to come at the same place and so will be extra motivated to do it. Serena is more than due for a loss there, it is amazing how she has her most slam titles there and it isnt even her best surface. :lol: The French will either go to Henin if she is back in form, or Kim if she is not. Serena will probably romp to Wimbledon again. And the U.S Open will be a real battle with Kim, Justine, Serena, and some others all vying for it.

judgejudy27
09-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Honestly, though...Vera didn't seem to be playing that poorly. I don't think that Wozniacki made whoever it was "make those errors," but I think Kim was the culprit for about 80% of Vera's UEs tonight. She moved her from side to side like it was nothing. Vera was forced to play defense the entire match. As dodgy as Kim was earlier in the tournament, she was razor sharp tonight.

Maybe she didnt play that poorly. That would just reflect my other point. Maybe Vera just isnt good enough to even be competitive with Serena on fire like the Wimbledon final, or Kim on fire like today. Either way she isnt the ideal person to be in the final too often. Great for her having a breakout year with 2 slam finals. I am happy for her. I am not sure I want to see her in too many more at this point though. 2 total whitewashes is not a great foreshadowing.

Loves_Shizuka
09-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Worra load of shit. First Venus, now this. What a boring USO.

Good luck Nole!