PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, not really. It does go to a 5th set tiebreak, so he only need to have held twice after the ninth game.
:huh: Well, yes, I'm quite aware of this ... by "each time" I meant until the tiebeaker which meant twice. Once was too many times, as it turned out.

Lorac
09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Now the Williams/Schiavone game is becoming a tense battle - with Venus winning the first set in a tight tie-breaker. I'll be surprised if we see Clijsters/Stosur before 8:30 at this rate - maybe even 9 - and goodness knows when we'll see the Nadal/Lopez match!!

judgejudy27
09-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Does anyone think if it is a Clijsters-Venus semifinal Venus even has a prayer of winning on current form? I am stunned how poorly Schiavone is playing and yet Venus is still barely beating her. If it were Kim and Venus now Kim would have already won the match probably, even though we are only a few games into the 2nd set.

hydro
09-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Does anyone think if it is a Clijsters-Venus semifinal Venus even has a prayer of winning on current form? I am stunned how poorly Schiavone is playing and yet Venus is still barely beating her. If it were Kim and Venus now Kim would have already won the match probably, even though we are only a few games into the 2nd set.

Maybe, maybe not. Kim hasn't been on the same form as last year, and last year Kim barely beat Venus in a 3rd setter. Kim will be a tough challenge should it come to that, but I don't think she is unbeatable.

Plus, the wind conditions really did a number both Schiavone and Williams' games.

Kabooke
09-08-2010, 01:39 AM

Given the wind conditions, both fought well and played hard. Some good play and some bad play, yet worked with what they had. Francesca didn't play that poorly and Venus didn't play that well. One the big points Venus stepped up when she needed to.

As for Kim, in 09' she barely beat a visibly injured Venus in three sets. 6-4 in the 3rd I believe. And this tournament Kim hasn't been playing all the great either. It would be a toss up with the wind conditions factored in(if it remains as it has been for the past 5 days or so).

Fergus
09-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Schiavone vs. Williams was VERY entertaining, IMHO, some really good moments from the former, but as stated above, Venus just pulled it off when she had to.

Couldn't get off the treadmill until it was over, my gym was split 50/50 on who they were supporting. Good times! :lol:

neptune
09-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Does anyone think if it is a Clijsters-Venus semifinal Venus even has a prayer of winning on current form?

Does she have a chance? Well, of course. Kim is capable of imploding, as she did with Zvonareva at Wimbledon. But do I think Venus will win? No. I think Kim will win, and if she plays really well, it could be rather lop-sided.

I am stunned how poorly Schiavone is playing and yet Venus is still barely beating her.

I only saw a little bit, but the announcers made it sound like Schiavone was playing pretty well--maybe they were just trying to be positive.

If it were Kim and Venus now Kim would have already won the match probably, even though we are only a few games into the 2nd set.

I'm definitely glad we have a player like Kim to add some excitement to the Open. :)

As for Wozniacki, I was just thinking--I would say she's the new Chris Evert. She doesn't have a ton of fireworks, but she has great focus, is very steady, and keeps her cool. I think a Wozniacki-Clijsters final would be a great one--much better than last year's.

neptune
09-08-2010, 03:18 AM
This is getting interesting. Third set, two breaks, 1-1. Good match. :)

Fergus
09-08-2010, 03:28 AM
OMG this match is hardcore!!!! :biggrinbo

neptune
09-08-2010, 03:32 AM
OMG this match is hardcore!!!! :biggrinbo

The theme of the third set is: Gimme a break!!! :lol:

Kim just won a service game. She must be feeling sick or something. ;) If I thought Sam could beat Venus, I wouldn't care who won. But I'm not sure she can. If Kim pulls this off, I think it will really boost her confidence.

ETA: Kim finally pulled it off--whew. Kudos to Stosur, though. She could win a big title one day the way she's going. Too bad she kept hitting shots into the net. I think Kim will get her act together on Friday--glad she got some "jitters" out of the way before then.

The announcers said Kim now has a date with Venus. That's what I don't get--where do the players find the time to socialize during a big tournament like this? ;)

Fergus
09-08-2010, 03:33 AM
The theme of the third set is: Gimme a break!!! :lol:

Oh sing it, Miss Nell Carter! :rofl:

ETA: Kim takes it in 3 sets! As Cliffy D said, NOT an easy match by any means!

Fergus
09-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Holy crap, what a match point for 'Nando!!! :wideeyes: :cheer2:

What a crazy night of tennis!!! LOVE NYC night matches!!!

Lorac
09-08-2010, 03:51 AM
OMG - that winning match point for Verdasco - absolutely brilliant :encore:

TalentedButHumble
09-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Dang you, ESPN3 online. I don't think they had Clijsters/Stosur match ID'd on their front pages - I completely missed it. I thought it was after Fer/Ver. Which I wasn't that into. And the little bit I cared, I wanted Ferrer to win. :P

oleada
09-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Kim :cheer2: