PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Fabrichnova
09-07-2010, 03:56 AM
She is overrated since especialy when she was in her prime she was talked about as if she were a legend of tennis on par with the Williams which she clearly never was. She was given more hype and praise than Henin who in reality is a far better and overall more accomplished player. And now no longer in her prime she is overrated since she is picked the favorite or one of the favorites to win alot of these slams but has really done nothing results wise to earn such a notion.

Todays result was as it should be. Wozniacki is just a better player than Maria right now.

I'm not disputing that Wozniacki is the better player right now. But you make such broad statements about Sharapova that I think you're letting whatever dislike you have of her cloud your assessment of her accomplishments relative to the amount of press she's received. Add in the fact that she's a tall, slender blonde, of course she's going to get a lot of hype. Doesn't make her any more overrated than all the other young Grand Slam champs. Who exactly hypes and praises Sharapova more than Henin these days? A three-time GS champ (at three different majors) is always going to be talked about as a potential threat. And besides, you neglect to mention that Henin is also several years older than Sharapova, so of course she's going to have a more accomplished resume. Do I think Henin is the better player? Yes. But the fact that Sharapova merits similar press hardly means the attention is undue. Let's give the girl a little credit here, she didn't win the Aussie, French and Wimby on the basis of hype... And I'm not even a Shrieky fan!:eek:

Anyway, I'm hoping the winner of the women's title comes from the bottom half of the draw. I don't think Venus has the level of consistency anymore to defeat Caroline, but I do agree that Kim can.

neptune
09-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Wozniacki is just a better player than Maria right now.

These days, Wozniacki is just a better player than nearly everyone. :) If Serena had been here, I still think Wozniacki would have had a chance.

If Kim plays well in the final she will beat Wozniacki even with Wozniacki's improved game. It is Kim's tournament to win or lose really.

That's probably true. But she's a bit more unpredictable than Wozniacki. Still, I do think Kim will make it to the final.

Fergus
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Looking forward to "The Stan & Sam Show" today! :cheer2:

And Stosur vs. Clijsters should be groovy as well!

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Caught more tennis over the weekend than I've seen in 15 months. Some things ...

**Whatta third set between my :glamor: Elena and Shortie Stosur! Both so on their game. Excellent [late]night match for the USO. Happy for Sam, but of course sad for Miss D.

**Kudos to Gael! While he "went away" occasionally against Dickie, those moment were the exception (finally!). Monfils played the explosive and impassioned tennis that made me a fan. He won't do it just yet (perhaps never given his up-and-down tendencies and his continual injuries) ... but it's easy to see that Gael has the potential to even win a Slam or three.

**Big John. Nice run for a guy who wasn't even allowed to walk some 10 days ago. (Sammy Q, you're our only hope now. :drama:)

**The Woz. I abhor "human backboards" in tennis, and say "bah" to commentators using the term as if it's a POSITIVE thing. Someone winning with barely double digit winners just ain't right, daggummit! That said, I really respect Caroline's improvements, her sticking to a game plan, and her seemingly unflappability. Her game is not my cup of tea, by any means, but for everything else she brings to the sport, I'll still applaud if (/when) she wins the championship.

**Danish cupcake is pretty much already in the final, given her draw. I predict that the bottom half will see Vee roll Schiavone, Kim do the same to Sam, and then repeat that agains Venus in the semis.

**Kubot & Marach = :psoty: yummy doubles team. Really appreciated their talents.

**Is Wawrinka the new Fat Dave? :shuffle: Just sayin', there's a lot more Man to Stan since I last saw him play.

Fergus
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Just sayin', there's a lot more Man to Stan since I last saw him play.

I was thinking the same thing during the Murray match. Though he did hustle pretty well when it mattered, bum thigh and all.

Stan, call Mardy. Or Jackie Warner.

Megi
09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
So far, the battle of one-handed backhands goes to Youzhny who leads Robredo by two sets, 3-3 on serve in the third. :watch:

GSM Youzhny! :cheer:

Fergus
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Stan the (More) Man takes the 1st set in an 11-9 TB. :watch:

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
^ Stats say it's a pretty clean match so far. Q and More Man each had a few SPs before the latter finally took advantage.

C'mon, Sam, now is the time to make some noise! I :drama: that you will become another Dickie Gasket or the male Hantuchova (were Daniela to be odd looking) ... good for a few Slammin' rounds for a career but nothing really close to the hardware.

Jayar
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
This match is frustrating. Does Querrey want to go home? REALLY?

Caroline is going to be #1 in the rankings after this, too if she wins this event :P. I want Cibulkova, Kanepi, Williams, and Stosur in the semis. WOOHOO!

Fergus
09-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Aw, Stan is such a bear cub. ;)

Sam, argh!!!! :wall:

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice escape, Q, from multiple set points down. I fully expected a sad fold instead.

And Sam races through service game, at love, to go up 6-5. :cheer2:

Fergus
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
OMG, steel cage deathmatch on Ashe!!! 5th set, 4 games all!!! :watch:

Stan the Man wins in 5 sets!

Aw, Sammy Q, good try. :(

Lorac
09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Amazing match between Sam and Stan - pity there has to be a loser!! boith guys played well - Stan just hung tougher there at the very end. Sam should be proud and know he is on the right path!!

Beefcake
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Sam oh Sam. So many breakpoints, so few conversions for the American.

Even though he held to wrap up the 4th set, the the writing was on the wall when Querrey didn't convert one of the multiple set points "on Stan's serve" to win the 4th. Versus serving first in the deciding set, Sam would be serving second ... i.e. serving to stay in the match each time after the 9th game. Not a good scenario for him.

jl
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, not really. It does go to a 5th set tiebreak, so he only need to have held twice after the ninth game.