PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Lorac
09-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Djokovic's father is wearing a shirt with Novak's face on it.

Good God.

They've done that before - his entire box once all had the same t-shirts - very weird!!!

neptune
09-05-2010, 04:22 AM
JJ's gonna win, y'all :rofl:

She is? And here I didn't even realize that the players voted on a Miss Congeniality. ;)

neptune
09-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Peer has never beaten Venus, has she? What are her chances tomorrow, assuming she plays well? If Pironkova could beat Venus so badly at Wimbledon, then anything is possible IMO.

One thing I don't understand--if the U.S. Open courts are faster than those at Wimbledon, then why hasn't Venus fared as well here?

Fergus
09-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Mardy Fish's good streak continues.

Was sitting at the bar outside of Ashe tonight, enjoying the signature US Open cocktail (Grey Goose, lemonade, & Chambord with honeydew melon balls on skewers), when Fish won. The entire complex cheered, it was a groovy moment! ;)

minuet
09-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm a little shocked at the lack of star power on the evening draw at Arthur Ashe today. Murray-Wawrinka is pushed to Armstrong and likely to cross over with the Nadal match on AA so one would not be able to see both and Youzhny-Isner gets the evening draw? Is Isner really a bigger draw than Murray?

I also don't think Clijsters has played an evening match yet. I would think that would be a great draw for the evening.

Fergus
09-05-2010, 04:05 PM
^ I agree, I saw the Sched. of Play and was a little :confused:

But as CaptCrunch has posted above, CBS rules broadcasting on Labor Day weekend and they're gonna put the "names" on during their show.

REALLY looking forward to Murray vs. Wawrinka, hopefully Stan the Man will bring some good game and make it a fun match. :watch:

Maybe I'm in the minority (except perhaps among fellow racquet-heads ;) ), but I wouldn't dream of spending Labor Day weekend at the beach, trying to savor the last days of summer. Labor Day weekend = Sittin' at Ashe or just on my sofa watching tennis allllllllllll weekend long! :lol:

Last night at Ashe, Blake got the crowd pretty wild during the 2nd set TB.......but Djok just totally ruled the match, great shot-making, even if it wasn't overly exciting.

The wind was wild, napkins flying everywhere, the ump even made an announcement asking everyone to hold onto their crap. :lol:

Kinda sad that ALOT of folks filed out before the women's match. :( The crowd was pretty much behind Kirilenko, but a few of us unleashed "COME ON, SVETA!" now and then. ;) Kuznetsova had alot of balls into the net, but was able to deliver when it mattered. Maria did put up a good fight, though, the spectators who left missed a pretty decent match.

:cheer2: to the sorta hottie DILF who danced like a bad Chippendale dude when he was on the Jumbotron. :rofl: The crowd loved it.

oleada
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm a little shocked at the lack of star power on the evening draw at Arthur Ashe today. Murray-Wawrinka is pushed to Armstrong and likely to cross over with the Nadal match on AA so one would not be able to see both and Youzhny-Isner gets the evening draw? Is Isner really a bigger draw than Murray?

I also don't think Clijsters has played an evening match yet. I would think that would be a great draw for the evening.

Clijsters played the first night match on Ashe on Wednesday. Saw her play, but it was a snoozefest of a match. She didn't need to play well to win, but her opponent was a qualifier. In the first set, Kim made tons of errors and won 62. In the second, she tightened up her game, and crushed her opponent 61.

There was a cute moment in the interview in which Pam Shriver told Kim she had special champion towels with her name on it and Kim went and checked and said how she'd been giving all her towels away and now she needed to keep them since they had her name on it :lol:

judgejudy27
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Peer has never beaten Venus, has she? What are her chances tomorrow, assuming she plays well? If Pironkova could beat Venus so badly at Wimbledon, then anything is possible IMO.

One thing I don't understand--if the U.S. Open courts are faster than those at Wimbledon, then why hasn't Venus fared as well here?

Venus is looking so so. I would give Peer at 50% chance atleast.

oleada
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
So my report. They were free tickets from the university dorm, so you can imagine how great the seats were :lol: We were in the rafters! There was a group of about 25 of us; only two of us knew about tennis. So, uh, lots of interesting comments.

The women's match was a dud (Clijsters vs Peers) so I'll just quote myself:

Clijsters played the first night match on Ashe on Wednesday. Saw her play, but it was a snoozefest of a match. She didn't need to play well to win, but her opponent was a qualifier. In the first set, Kim made tons of errors and won 62. In the second, she tightened up her game, and crushed her opponent 61.

There was a cute moment in the interview in which Pam Shriver told Kim she had special champion towels with her name on it and Kim went and checked and said how she'd been giving all her towels away and now she needed to keep them since they had her name on it :lol:

The next match was Janko/Roddick and that was off course was much more interesting. The atmosphere was great. From the beginning, it was all Janko; he was going for the lines and being aggressive; he just made too many errors in the first set. Roddick is really a pusher with a serve; he did nothing with the ball at all.

I'm ashamed to admit that we were talking and missed most of the lineperson debacle...:slinkaway but we did catch Roddick bitching to the umpire :rolleyes: He gives off a huge douche vibe and has a terrible on-court attitude.

We were seated next to a group that was rooting very much for Tipsy since the beginning...however, they were convinced he was Croatian. :o

The people in my group were rooting for Tipsy because it was more fun to say and it would mean we got to go home earlier :shuffle:

VIP guests in attendance: Kanye, Usher, John Legend and some random Twilight vampire.

MIA: Delerious, flag-waving Serbian fans. I wuzrobbed!

cmin8170
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM

I heard that Murray's match timing has to do with the broadcasting time in England. CBS has a lot of pull on what time matches are scheduled, but the British also want to show Murray during their own prime time. That's until he advances further when CBS scheduling prevails over other demands, apparently.

Fergus
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Come on, STAN!!!!! Fight, dude!!!

Murray is so dramatique. :drama:

Gil-Galad
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Wawrinka takes the second set!!! :cheer2:

EDIT: Urghh, and is now down a break in the third. This has to be a joke!

EDIT2: Ha! Take that! Immediate rebreak! Go Wawrinka!!!

Lorac
09-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Tight match on Louis Armstrong - and I am quietly cheering for Warwrinka even though I'm british go stan :watch:

Gil-Galad
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Ouch. Another break for Wawrinka. What's up with Murray? Just 2 Aces? Only 29 winners vs. 40 from Wawrinka? I am all for the Swiss guy, but Murray was in top form before this tournament started.

jenny12
09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Murray looks really sluggish at the moment, nothing like he has been over the summer.