PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

cruisin
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
The only thing that I'd really like to change about myself is that I'm a fairly tense person. I think if I could relax easier I'd probably make better choices. It's not that I'm inflexible or not up for adventure or anything like that I just get tense REALLY easy.

Sometimes anxiety is just the way we are wired. It's not a choice, it just is. As Moijto suggested there are therapies for anxiety. Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it? Do you get panic attacks, or is it a more generalized anxiety.

Simone411
07-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel, Simone! I have Graves disease too, and it struck just when I was working really hard on Weight Watchers and had lost almost 80 pounds. I was on meds for 18 months, gained back half the weight. Meds weren't working, so I had a radioactive iodine treatment, which effectively destroyed my thyroid function and my metabolism. I gained the rest of the weight back and then some.

My skin has been really messed up because of all the low thyroid problems (when it was overactive, I had perfect clear skin). Finally when the thyroid meds began to build up, my skin cleared up except for a few really deep scars that are going to take a while. What was the first thing my mom asks me when I had my last appointment (all good news)? "Did you ask your doctor about something for your acne?" :wall:

((((vesperholly))))

The radioactive iodine treatment to destroy the thyroid glands or partially removing part of the thyroid gland was the alternative choices for me if the medication I took didn't work.

I had to look up the spelling of the medication online because I could only remember how to pronounce it. The medication is called Propylthiouracil. My doctor explained to me that Propylthiouracil was usually only used to slow down the overactive thyroid glands in preparation for surgery to remove part of the the thyroid gland. From what I understood, Propylthiouracil was usually used for around 2 or 3 months before the surgery.

My doctor thought that if I stayed on Propylthiourcil long enough (as long as possible) that I might go into remission. He told me about the side effects which included gaining all the weight. He also told me that I would have to quit taking the Propylthiouracil if I became allergic to it because it could cause certain blood diseases, and in rare cases, possibly even Leukemia.

Another reason my doctor wanted me take Propylthiourcil was because he thought the symptoms I had was leading into what was called a thyroid storm. I didn't have the goiter but my eyes were beginning to get larger (starting to bulge some), my heart rate was 140 and my hands had a tremor ... they would shake uncontrollably when I held a piece of paper.

I was able to stay on it for 9 months before I became allergic to it. I got off of it immediately and there were no signs of Leukemia or any blood disorders but I did end up with a heart murmur which never really bothers me.

Graves Disease is more common in women than men and it can happen very suddenly. Another one of the symptoms is irritability and I'm afraid I was very irritable during that time. :lol:

I decided to share some of the symptoms because of how common this diesease is among women.

cruisin
07-03-2010, 04:18 PM
(((Simone411 and Vesperholly))) How frightening to go through all of that.

Thank you for explaining, I did not really know much about Graves Disease. Thankfully, you are both, now doing well.

Simone411
07-03-2010, 04:54 PM
You're welcome! If I remember correctly, I believe that Graves Disease is more common in younger women in their 20's. I only discovered I had the disease because I was required to have a physical examination for a job I had applied for. I'll never forget that because my doctor thought at first I was taking speed since my heart rate was 140! :lol:

museksk8r
07-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Awww, thanks, cruisin! *HUGS*:)

I think a lot of us here are stronger than we may think. We've had to endure a lot and we're still fighting and still surviving, which is so much better than the alternative. We all have our good days and our bad days, but we just need to continue fighting the good fight. :cheer2:

cruisin
07-03-2010, 05:10 PM
You're welcome! If I remember correctly, I believe that Graves Disease is more common in younger women in their 20's. I only discovered I had the disease because I was required to have a physical examination for a job I had applied for. I'll never forget that because my doctor thought at first I was taking speed since my heart rate was 140! :lol:

Wow, thank goodness you had that physical! It may have saved your life!

Awww, thanks, cruisin! *HUGS*:)

I think a lot of us here are stronger than we may think. We've had to endure a lot and we're still fighting and still surviving, which is so much better than the alternative. We all have our good days and our bad days, but we just need to continue fighting the good fight. :cheer2:

You're very welcome. Here's to the good fight :40beers: (or cocktail of your choice :D).

made_in_canada
07-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Sometimes anxiety is just the way we are wired. It's not a choice, it just is. As Moijto suggested there are therapies for anxiety. Have you ever spoken to your doctor about it? Do you get panic attacks, or is it a more generalized anxiety.

It isn't even really anxiety so much I just am tense a lot of the time. I can't really explain it. Most people actually describe me as fairly laid back. I just can't seem to relax completely and let my guard down. I didn't really realize it until just recently when I went to a massage therapist for a different issue and he said he's never seen someone with as much tension in their shoulders and back. He asked me a few questions and I realize now that I've been like this pretty much for all of my life. At this point I think I just have to live with it.

cruisin
07-03-2010, 07:34 PM
It isn't even really anxiety so much I just am tense a lot of the time. I can't really explain it. Most people actually describe me as fairly laid back. I just can't seem to relax completely and let my guard down. I didn't really realize it until just recently when I went to a massage therapist for a different issue and he said he's never seen someone with as much tension in their shoulders and back. He asked me a few questions and I realize now that I've been like this pretty much for all of my life. At this point I think I just have to live with it.

Have you ever tried yoga or breathing techniques? I honestly don't think you have to live with it. I mean to some degree you do, but you can take the edge off. :)

Simone411
07-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, thank goodness you had that physical! It may have saved your life!

I'm glad I did too! My doctor ran tests on me immediately when he realized that I wasn't taking speed. The tests results showed I had hyperthyroidism but he was worried more about the thyroid storm. I thought my doctor was making that up at first but he said even though it was rare that it was possible I was having one. He suspected that because of the rapid heart beat and the irritability I was having. I was also waking up with night sweats.

I found an article about thyroid storms. I didn't realize how dangerous they really were but it can also cause heart failure:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/thyroid_storm/page3_em.htm

So, it was a blessing in disguise when I took that physical. I might not be here today if it wasn't for that job interview back then.

cruisin, I'm glad you brought up breathing techniques because that's what my doctor also suggested when I was having the irritability from the hyperthyroidism. I think it would also work for made_in_canada.

http://www.pe2000.com/anx-breathe.htm

cruisin
07-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I found an article about thyroid storms. I didn't realize how dangerous they really were but it can also cause heart failure:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/thyroid_storm/page3_em.htm

So, it was a blessing in disguise when I took that physical. I might not be here today if it wasn't for that job interview back then.

cruisin, I'm glad you brought up breathing techniques because that's what my doctor also suggested when I was having the irritability from the hyperthyroidism. I think it would also work for made_in_canada.

It sure was a blessing!

Thanks for posting the breathing link. Interesting techniques. I find that getting out and walking 2 miles every day helps me to stay even. I like being outside, I get my body moving, and I breathe better. I also take my dog, so I have companionship :). Walking every day is my gift to myself and everyone around me :D. I'm much less stressed when I walk.

Simone411
07-03-2010, 09:41 PM
LOL! I love to walk, too, but I usually walk about a mile when I have the time to do it. I also use my rowing machine. I use it more than I do walking and it's a quite a workout. I usually row for about twenty minutes 3 times a week. :)

made_in_canada
07-04-2010, 02:59 AM

I actually use many of these techniques I just didn't realize they were techniques! I do have coping mechanisms (most of which involve endorphins :D), I just haven't been able to actually "fix" it.

canbelto
07-04-2010, 03:17 AM
I hate that I am severely controlling about my weight. If I go over 100 pounds I freak out, will skip dinners or throw up after meals until I get it to "perfect weight." I hate that as a result I can't really enjoy food, and am a picky eater. I also hate it when I skip dinner and wake up in the middle of the night starving and then will grab anything out of the fridge to eat and go back to sleep. Yeah, I think I have eating problems.:(

cruisin
07-04-2010, 04:04 AM
I actually use many of these techniques I just didn't realize they were techniques! I do have coping mechanisms (most of which involve endorphins :D), I just haven't been able to actually "fix" it.

Ahhh, the fix it problem. You can't fix it. Stop trying. If you have coping mechanisms, you are doing absolutely the perfect thing. Good for you!
:cheer2: Endorphins rock!

Japanfan
07-04-2010, 05:44 AM
I hate that I am severely controlling about my weight. If I go over 100 pounds I freak out, will skip dinners or throw up after meals until I get it to "perfect weight." I hate that as a result I can't really enjoy food, and am a picky eater. I also hate it when I skip dinner and wake up in the middle of the night starving and then will grab anything out of the fridge to eat and go back to sleep. Yeah, I think I have eating problems.:(

Have you sought help, Canbelto?