PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

PDilemma
06-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I am 5-10 minutes late for work every day but no one complains. If I was told I was going to get fired for it, I would find a way get my butt to work on time. It's not like I am late for everything all the time. That is an issue it is hard to draw the line on IMO.

If you commute in a city, traffic becomes an issue, too. When I lived in the city and commuted 12 miles one way on the freeway, there was this two minute window I could leave in to get to work on time. Any earlier than that and I was 5-10 minutes early and any later and I was 10-20 minutes late.

BlueRidge
06-30-2010, 07:06 PM
I get to work early every day. That way I'm never late. :shuffle:

jen_faith
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I used to be chronically late until I set all the clocks in the house 5-10 minutes ahead.

PDilemma
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I get to work early every day. That way I'm never late. :shuffle:

Where I worked at the time I was referring to, you could not get in the building until five minutes early due to the way they did their security. So arriving ten minutes early meant sitting in the car in the semi-darkness in winter (our teacher arrival time was 7:25) in a scary neighborhood. Sorry, but that was never on my list of things to do.

Bev Johnston
06-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Coming from one of the always-on-time people... what makes us crazy is when it's the same people late over and over again. For example (not to pick on you specifically, but using your example), how many times have you actually gotten everything ready for work in 10 minutes? And how many times has it taken longer? So we tend to have the reaction of "oh, they know they're going to be late and just don't care."

I used to be chronically late, but I worked on it and turned myself into an on-time-and-sometimes-early person. I have a friend who is always late, and she sometimes brings her mother along, and her mom is always late, too. I guess it's genetic with them. Last week we had dinner reservations at 7:45pm, but decided to get to the restaurant at 7 to have drinks. I knew they would be late, so I took my time getting there. I got to the restaurant at 7:10 and they didn't show till 7:41. In otherwords, they left me sitting there for a half hour. I think it's incredibly rude. It's gotten to a point that I don't want to go anywhere with these women because we've been late to plays, concerts, parades, movies, you name it; anything with a definite starting time is a problem.

Now as for myself... I am not shy but sometimes I wish I was. I talk too much and find myself babbling on about things. Ever hear of "think to talk" vs. "talk to think"? I am definitely "talk to think" and wish I could staple my mouth shut some days.

I also wish I was more self-confident in expressing my opinions in a group when I am not certain that everyone is going to agree with me. This happens a lot at work. I go into a meeting with thoughts and ideas, and then just weasle out of everything I was going to say. Ugh! Drives me crazy!

I have the phone-phobia, too. Weird! I thought I was the only one.

BlueRidge
06-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Where I worked at the time I was referring to, you could not get in the building until five minutes early due to the way they did their security. So arriving ten minutes early meant sitting in the car in the semi-darkness in winter (our teacher arrival time was 7:25) in a scary neighborhood. Sorry, but that was never on my list of things to do.

Okay you have a good reason that you didn't put in your post. Most of the people who get to work late don't. I don't really care about anyone who doesn't effect me. But I am a little tired of it where I work. Not that I blame the people who come in late. Why not come in late if no one ever holds you accountable for it?

Wyliefan
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
With lateness, I think the most important thing is whether or not you're going to let someone down. I've had problems with lateness, but I try really hard to be on time if someone's depending on me. It doesn't matter so much if I slip into choir practice a few minutes late -- it does matter if I leave someone hanging for half an hour, like Bev's friends.

gkelly
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah. I often arrive at my office 5-15 minutes later than I'm scheduled, but since I just work on my own at my desk all day it's not as if anyone even notices what time I arrive.

If I'm meeting someone or arriving for an appointment, I usually make a point to be slightly early. Occasionally plans go awry, but not on a regular basis.

Kasey
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I am 5-10 minutes late for work every day but no one complains. If I was told I was going to get fired for it, I would find a way get my butt to work on time. It's not like I am late for everything all the time. That is an issue it is hard to draw the line on IMO.

As the night shift person who's done a 12 1/2 to 13 hour shift and really just wants to get the hell home, trust me, your 5-10 minutes late every day WOULD be annoying as hell, and would be grounds for termination here. As well it should be anywhere. It's disrespectful to chronically keep other people waiting like their lives and own time are unimportant.

Lainerb
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
A friend of mine is chronically late to the point where it really bothers me. I can count on her being at least 15minutes late, but usually it's closer to 30minutes or even once it was about an hour. I don't mind(as much) if we are simply meeting up at my home for dinner or a movie, but if she is meeting me someplace else then it really is bothersome. It has gotten to the point where I had let her know that if we are meeting somewhere and she is 20 minutes or more late then I am leaving and going home.

vesperholly
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
As the night shift person who's done a 12 1/2 to 13 hour shift and really just wants to get the hell home, trust me, your 5-10 minutes late every day WOULD be annoying as hell, and would be grounds for termination here. As well it should be anywhere. It's disrespectful to chronically keep other people waiting like their lives and own time are unimportant.

I don't think snoopy said that people were waiting or depending on her arrival. If her arrival wouldn't impact your ability to get home, why should you care? I do agree that keeping people waiting is rude, and when I know that I'm going to be in that situation, I try my hardest to be there on time. But if a tree is late falling in the forest ...

On the flip side, I've had people arrive WAY too early for things, and I think that's a little rude, too. My friend once came to my apartment 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave. I had to leave her sitting on the couch while I finished drying my hair and doing my makeup. AWKWARD.

snoopy
06-30-2010, 11:24 PM

Well FWIW, I don't relieve anyone. Plus I work way over my required 40 hours per week (on salary) which is what people here care the most about. But heh, if I could leave on time everyday I come in on time, I would take that deal.

But my point was more that I can change my behavior if I had to. So while some people may have some type of disorder, not everyone who is late has one. So I wouldn't take the whole disorder thing too far (which was discussed earlier in the thread).

triple_toe
06-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't really see the difference between being chronically late and chronically early. If you're always 10 minutes early, I would assume that you have similar time management issues that someone who is always 10 minutes late has. :shuffle:

In my opinion, if you are, for example, going over to someone's house, it is ALWAYS better to be 15 minutes late than 15 minutes early. It gives the host(ess) a bit of a grace period to fix up any last-minute details. Showing up early is downright rude in my book. I once hosted a dinner party where a couple showed up 45 minutes (!) early, with no advance warning. Well, if you don't count calling from the parking lot advance warning. I was :angryfire, and like the poster above, had to let them sit and wait while I finished getting changed, drying my hair, putting my makeup on, and placing various dishes in the oven :o.

Going out to dinner is less flexible in terms of time, especially if you have reservations, but again, if someone says "around 7 for drinks, reservation at 7:45", I take that to mean "arrive a bit after 7, not exactly at 7". I would try to arrive at around 7:10-7:15. 7:41 is extreme, and I would never do that without calling and saying that I would be late, but the poster who shared that story should be thankful that the friends in question at least arrived before the reservation, not significantly after, which I have had happen to me... :eek:

Work is another issue. If you are not taking over someone's shift, I see no problem with mild tardiness. I have a bigger issue with people who play farmville all day instead of working, than I do with someone who comes in 10 minutes late. If you work hard and do your job, I see no reason for anyone to jump down your throat for coming a little late. If you really feel like that 5-10 minutes makes a difference, stay 5-10 minutes late. Or take a shorter lunch.

Overall, I try to be understanding of people who are late. Maybe someone had a terrible night's sleep and needed a few more minutes of snoozing. Maybe there was construction on the way, or an accident. Maybe the person in question forgot to do the laundry and had no clean shirts :lol:. If you are running late, send me a message that I should not expect you to be on time, and it will be fine.

If someone is late I tend to be more concerned and worried than pissed that my precious time is being wasted, but YMMV.

myhoneyhoney
07-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm jumping in here:

1. I procrastinate, bad bad bad.

2. I have a hard time making up my mind, for example, hubby's the one who ALWAYS pick the restaurant because I just CANNOT MAKE UP MY MIND. Then of course I have a hardest time picking which food to order, ugh.

3. I also over commit. I have a hard time saying no, be it making someone's wedding favors, a scrapbook for someone's baby... and it stresses me out to a point where I just throw myself on my bed and cry.

4. I'm very suspicious of people. I can't stop thinking that people are just being nice because they want to get something from you, not just because they're being nice.

5. I can have tunnel vision sometimes... or maybe you can say I'm in my own little world. I've literally walked right past family members (aunt and uncle-in-law) at a store without knowing it because of this. Of course they called me later to tell me about it.

Geez, I have issues...

Angela-Fan
07-01-2010, 03:25 AM
I can totally relate to being indecisive! I always take a long time to order food, b/c i'm afraid i won't like it.
I just have trouble making decisions, period.