PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

ice dance
06-30-2010, 03:20 AM
I also hate using the phone. I will only answer it if no-one else is home. I don't like ringing people, either. But I am ok about answering my cellphone, because then I can see who is ringing.

vesperholly
06-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Hmm, I have someone else in my life who has no regard for time, and I think she's batsh*t crazy! It all makes sense!!! :wall:

:slinkaway

Honestly, it seems like people are so accepting of every other flaw but being late. :P I didn't say being late was a good thing! But I don't look in the mirror and say, "Screw everyone else's time schedule, I'm going to do what I want" either. It's like a weird form of procrastination or time management in which I think I can get everything ready for work in 10 minutes, including getting dressed, putting on makeup, making my lunch, setting my VCR, etc. I guess I don't really see how it's hugely offensive if I arrange to meet my sister at 8 and I show up at 8:05. Then again, she probably wouldn't show up until 8:10 :lol:

MOIJTO
06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
I have the phone phobia thing too. So do both of my daughters- to the point that one of them would run and stand in the tub if she got a call, and I'd have to say she was "in the tub". The younger one will talk, if it's for her, but she won't answer the phone. My son will have a 10 min conversation with a wrong number :) .

I call people back or text back people who have left messages on my phone by mistake. They are very thankful and always apologize.

I just look at it as a good deed done well. :)

flyingsit
06-30-2010, 03:04 PM
:slinkaway

Honestly, it seems like people are so accepting of every other flaw but being late. :P I didn't say being late was a good thing! But I don't look in the mirror and say, "Screw everyone else's time schedule, I'm going to do what I want" either. It's like a weird form of procrastination or time management in which I think I can get everything ready for work in 10 minutes, including getting dressed, putting on makeup, making my lunch, setting my VCR, etc.

Coming from one of the always-on-time people... what makes us crazy is when it's the same people late over and over again. For example (not to pick on you specifically, but using your example), how many times have you actually gotten everything ready for work in 10 minutes? And how many times has it taken longer? So we tend to have the reaction of "oh, they know they're going to be late and just don't care."

manleywoman
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
flyingsit, exactly.

If you know it takes you xxxx amount of time to do xxxx, then account for the additional time. Don't hold me up repeatedly. Ugh.

Stormy
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Coming from one of the always-on-time people... what makes us crazy is when it's the same people late over and over again. For example (not to pick on you specifically, but using your example), how many times have you actually gotten everything ready for work in 10 minutes? And how many times has it taken longer? So we tend to have the reaction of "oh, they know they're going to be late and just don't care."

Agreed....being chronically late is something that should be easily changed. You know how long it really truly takes to get yourself together to get out of the house so don't shortchange yourself. That's what I mean when it's disrespectful to be late because of something in your control. If you really do give yourself enough time but get stuck in unexpected traffic, that's different. If you're late because you spent 10 extra minutes playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook, tough sh*t. I've learned I can't play BB in the morning before work or else I'll never get out on time. :shuffle:

LOL, Manleywoman, flyingsit and I should all meet up. We'd all be exactly on time!

Veronika
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
LOL, Manleywoman, flyingsit and I should all meet up. We'd all be exactly on time!

Me too? :) I'll be early.

vesperholly
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Agreed....being chronically late is something that should be easily changed.

If it was so easy to change, it wouldn't be a chronic problem ... :shuffle:

Melly80
06-30-2010, 06:38 PM

What's so difficult about it? People have the ability to learn, don't they? So if you're constantly late ... think and analyse ... maybe get ready a bit earlier? It's not rocket science, you know...

Anita18
06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
What's so difficult about it? People have the ability to learn, don't they? So if you're constantly late ... think and analyse ... maybe get ready a bit earlier? It's not rocket science, you know...
Just like controlling your portions, cutting down on the junk food, and getting up to exercise is just so easy, right? ;)

mmscfdcsu
06-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Just like controlling your portions, cutting down on the junk food, and getting up to exercise is just so easy, right? ;)

At least those things do not inconvenience others. :P Count me in with the on time crowd.

snoopy
06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I think being chronically late has a psychological component as mmary noted above similar to overeating. But people who are chronically late may need to at least admit it is a problem they have trouble controlling rather than just be "oh well". Being 5 minutes late I don't know qualifies for a chronically late problem.

PDilemma
06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
You know, when I was teaching, I was always late in the mornings. I would start the school year running perfectly on time, but it would gradually go downhill as the year progressed.

I am never late for other things and I was never late for any other job.

Conclusion: I was late in the mornings all the time because I was always exhausted. And I never figured out how to cure that. But by October or so, I just could not get moving in the mornings no matter how hard I tried.

ETA: By late I mean five minutes or so and always at school well before students. I'm just saying that you don't always know someone's circumstances.

And prior to moving a year ago, I was sometimes late for other things because I lived above a business and my car would get blocked in by delivery trucks which a friend of mine always assumed was a lie/excuse, until she came to visit once and the parking lot was blocked by one.

BlueRidge
06-30-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm wondering if lateness isn't like other problems people have they can't easily change? Like phobias, or OCD issues? Maybe we actually should be more tolerant of the chronically late?

snoopy
06-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I am 5-10 minutes late for work every day but no one complains. If I was told I was going to get fired for it, I would find a way get my butt to work on time. It's not like I am late for everything all the time. That is an issue it is hard to draw the line on IMO.