PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

PDilemma
06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I hate being introverted. I hate it. I wish I could change into an extroverted personality. So many people misinterpret introversion as creepiness (e.g. the not talking post above) or snobbiness or "negativity". My last boss (who is an a$$) would get angry at me that I wasn't "enjoying" something enough because I am not outwardly emotional which is a trait of introverts--things like mandatory staff bowling parties which I enjoyed plenty, I just don't jump up and down and cheer like some of the other women on the staff did. Then he would call that "negativity" and rip on me for it in evaluations (because the level to which you visibly enjoy a mandatory staff bowling party should be the basis of a teaching evaluation--but that's another issue entirely).

Auntie
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Personality wise there is nothing that I *hate* about myself. I am far from perfect but don't obsess about things too much. I do hate my frizzy, curly hair and my saddlebags, which confront me every time I look in the mirror. Maybe if my personality issues were stamped on my forehead or attached to my thighs, I'd grow to hate them too.

People who are chronically late? :angryfire

Anita18
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I am in the exact same situation. I can't tell you many fights we've been in about his lateness and poor time management skills. I am someone who is usually early or on time. :angryfire

I view being on time as very importatnt, it's a sign of courtesy and respect to others. I don't think my husband will ever see it that way. :(
And that's one thing I love about my bf. He's always early to things, even when I tell him that I'm going to be home at a certain time, he's even early to THAT...and he doesn't have keys to my apartment so he has to sit by the curb and wait! :lol: He's honestly, perfectly okay with that. I can tell because when he's upset or displeased about something, you can really see it on his face (even if he doesn't say anything) and he never shows any anger at my always arriving later than he does.

And so being late for him always makes me feel absolutely terrible, because he's so nice about it. :( Maybe he'll break me yet.

I hate being introverted. I hate it. I wish I could change into an extroverted personality. So many people misinterpret introversion as creepiness (e.g. the not talking post above) or snobbiness or "negativity". My last boss (who is an a$$) would get angry at me that I wasn't "enjoying" something enough because I am not outwardly emotional which is a trait of introverts--things like mandatory staff bowling parties which I enjoyed plenty, I just don't jump up and down and cheer like some of the other women on the staff did. Then he would call that "negativity" and rip on me for it in evaluations (because the level to which you visibly enjoy a mandatory staff bowling party should be the basis of a teaching evaluation--but that's another issue entirely).
Ugh, that sucks!

Introversion is a huge part of my personality - I would be a completely different person if I wasn't as introverted as I am. I would have chosen different hobbies, done different things, have different friends, etc. It's really nothing to be ashamed of. (The only person who's viewed my introversion as a negative is my younger cousin who's completely socially clueless himself. :P )

And I've been lucky enough to have friends/coworkers who understand that or are introverted themselves! Or at least we can see the "mandatory employee group stuff" as the BS that it is. :lol: Don't get us wrong, we're totally friendly and nice to people but we'd rather not spend non-working hours hanging out or whatever. :lol:

mmscfdcsu
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
For all of the shy people: :)

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=40

Lionhart
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I laugh at EVERYTHING. Baaaad habit. My boss once asked me to get something off of the "printy", but he meant to say "printer." I laughed so hard for a good five minutes :rofl: and then when I went back into his office later that day, I had to fight so hard not to laugh in his face because I was reminded of the printy! I realize to normal people these things really are not that funny, but I just laugh at everything.. I am cursed.

mmscfdcsu
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I laugh at EVERYTHING. Baaaad habit. My boss once asked me to get something off of the "printy", but he meant to say "printer." I laughed so hard for a good five minutes :rofl: and then when I went back into his office later that day, I had to fight so hard not to laugh in his face because I was reminded of the printy! I realize to normal people these things really are not that funny, but I just laugh at everything.. I am cursed.

You should have seen me in 8th grade when the teacher told us to "Take out a shit of paper" :rofl:

triple_toe
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I am a perfectionist and a control freak. On the surface, it seems like a good thing because whenever I do something, I make sure I put all of my effort into it, and I end up doing really well, but it's so... hard. People talk about crazy pressure from parents, but I had that internally. Sure, my parents always wanted me to do well in school, skating, etc., but I was the one who would freak out if I got less than 95% on anything in school, whether it was an exam, quiz, or homework assignment. I was home-schooled for a period when I was skating intensely, and it got to the point where if I got one question wrong on a quiz, I would feel like I was a failure.

Skating did not exactly help my situation; I would kill myself day in, day out, and guess what happened? Injury. Major injury. Which brought up more control issues. I couldn't skate, couldn't walk even, for months. Fell into a major funk, and I basically felt like I was losing control of everything. I couldn't really go anywhere when I was injured, expect for physical therapy, and I slowly started becoming more and more of a recluse. I started to get panic attacks, which lead to agoraphobia because I was so anxious that I would have attacks in public places- something else that I believed was out of my control. For someone who craves perfection and control as much a I do, it felt like my entire world was falling apart. The more crazy I felt on the inside, the more I felt like I had to present an image of perfection on the outside. I was a basket case, but God forbid anyone see a slight crack in my veneer! Oh, and, tell anybody about these issues? Me? Strong-minded, driven, perfect triple_toe? Forget it. That would show weakness, a need for someone to help me, and an admission that I was NOT in control. I needed to control my control issues! :lol:

During that time, I would never have even written on this board about these issues. It might seem ridiculous that I wasn't even able to write on an anonymous board, but there it is. I'm still dealing with it now, but I am getting better. Talking about it helps. Hell, admitting it helps. Even though I don't like that I am an insecure perfectionist who doesn't always admit I need help with *anything*, I am still ok with myself, and I am fine with taking babysteps (not going from 0 to 100% in one go) to get better, and having occasional failures. Sorry for the long-winded post, I am more of a lurker than I am a poster, but I just had to reply on this one! :)

Kasey
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I think there's a differentiation between "things you hate about yourself" and "things about yourself you would like to change". "Hating myself" is something I outgrew in junior high, thankfully! ;)

That said, I am working at becoming more active on my days off instead of laying around like a slug with a book or on the computer.....and I'm neurotic about the size of my toes ;) (I have what my sister calls "preemie toes"....of course, she and my mom have monkey feet, so I don't think mine are all that tiny!)

Wyliefan
06-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I can relate to the nervous laughter, berthesghost; I giggled throughout the end of Titanic .

Well, it WAS kind of funny. :P

(You have to understand, I thought that was one of the worst love stories of all time.)

MR-FAN
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
One thing I don't like about myself: I hate hate HATE offending anyone, even if it's not done on purpose. And so I never share my opinions on hot topics (or not-so-hot topics) in case someone around feels strongly against what I believe in. It sucks, because I have very balanced opinions and can always support my beliefs, but I'd rather not make other people uncomfortable, so I don't bother (and yet I have a great deal of respect for people who're not afraid to share and argue their opinions!)

I also almost never share good news with others, in the off-chance that they might feel self-pity or a little jealous. and I don't share bad news cause I never need anyone to feel sorry for me. Boy I'm complex :lol:

london_calling
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't call myself shy, but I am a very quiet and reserved person. I have no fear of talking to people, I just don't unless I have something to say. I hate talking just for the sake of talking. However, I feel like that makes me appear cold and standoffish. I wish I could just be more open.

rjblue
06-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I have the phone phobia thing too. So do both of my daughters- to the point that one of them would run and stand in the tub if she got a call, and I'd have to say she was "in the tub". The younger one will talk, if it's for her, but she won't answer the phone. My son will have a 10 min conversation with a wrong number :) .

What I hate about myself- that I could write endlessly about all the things I dislike about myself. I can't think of any aspect of my personality that I wouldn't change if I could. What I like about myself wouldn't fill a sentence. But unfortunately, I'm not depressed or suffering from any mental unbalance that I could fix. I'm just a realist.

KikiSashaFan
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
As quite a few people have said, I have a tendency to want to please people and will spread myself too thin to keep everyone happy. I also hate confrontation and will sometimes let things slide, just to avoid it.

Non personality wise, I hate that I have insanely sensitive hearing. I all kinds of little noises that no one else can hear. Drives me crazy.

StonewshMullet
06-29-2010, 11:33 PM
My breasts. The are big and painful, not to mention that gravity is starting to take a toll. I fully expect to wake up one morning with my breasts in China.

alchemy void
06-30-2010, 01:17 AM
My receding hairline. At least its not to Baldwin proportions yet. :slinkaway