PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Aimless
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
An aversion to making telephone calls that amounts almost to a phobia at times. Receiving calls isn't as bad. Why can't we all just email everything? I warn people that it's hard for me to make phone calls and it's rare that anybody believes me.

BlueRidge
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
An aversion to making telephone calls that amounts almost to a phobia at times. Receiving calls isn't as bad. Why can't we all just email everything? I warn people that it's hard for me to make phone calls and it's rare that anybody believes me.

I believe you! This is one of my big issues too.

manleywoman
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
omg, yes, me too. I can't stand it when people (invariably the always-on-time sort) accuse people who run late of being selfish or self-absorbed. Honestly, that's not it! It's just extreme optimism in my ability to move quickly. :lol:

But as someone who is married to a spouse who is always late, I can't tell you how disrespectful it is, or at least comes across. Like your time is more valuable than mine, or the time of the people we're meeting. It's one of the real sticking points in our marriage. And I always lose out . . . it's not like the late person ever changes their ways, so the on-time person is always the one who has to deal.

Things I hate about myself, and am actively trying to fix:
1) I interrupt people.
2) I have a prejudice. Not a racial one, but a "type" of person.

Holley Calmes
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I am so glad to hear that about phone call phobia....I have a very dear friend that has been close for 35 years, but she has rarely-if ever-picked up a phone to call me except in emergencies. I always call her, and I always think, "does she not care about me enough to initiate the contact? Why do I have to do all the work?" But I know in my heart that's not the case, so I just call her. I never considered "phone call phobia" as I am the opposite....I cold call strangers and ask for money! But I am certainly sympathetic. Thanks for enlightening me.

nubka
06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow, lots of shy people at FSU - you'd never never know from reading this board!

Things I hate about myself:

Too thin-skinned (but posting at FSU had really helped that a lot - this place is not for the faint of heart, lol!)

At times, I can be selfish.

I talk too much.

I love the spotlight.

As you can see, I'm definately not perfect! :yikes:

BlueRidge
06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Wow, lots of shy people at FSU - you'd never never know from reading this board!

Strange but true, some of the shyest people have the most posts on the board! :shuffle:

We could start a shyness support thread if folks felt the need for it.

nerdycool
06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow, I have almost everything listed here. I'm painfully shy, have a phone phobia
(yes, everything should be done via email!), am a procrastinator, am sometimes disorganized and often compare myself to others and find myself wanting.

But the one I have the most problem with, is the fact that I'm a non-talker. It's not so much that I'm shy, but that I'd rather sit back and watch/listen to what's going on around me rather than contribute to the conversation. I never thought much of it until one of my co-workers mentioned that it was "creepy"... and now that's all I can think of whenever there's a group of people around. So then I try to include myself more, but generally fail.

Stormy
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
But as someone who is married to a spouse who is always late, I can't tell you how disrespectful it is, or at least comes across. Like your time is more valuable than mine, or the time of the people we're meeting. It's one of the real sticking points in our marriage. And I always lose out . . . it's not like the late person ever changes their ways, so the on-time person is always the one who has to deal.

Things I hate about myself, and am actively trying to fix:
1) I interrupt people.
2) I have a prejudice. Not a racial one, but a "type" of person.

I agree about lateness. I get very anxious when I am late for anything, even by one or two minutes. It is completely disrespectful to be late when you're late because of something that's totally in your control. Lateness is a huge pet peeve of mine, can you tell?

Things I dislike about myself:
I procrastinate. Sometimes to the point where I get really anxious about something I haven't done (this is usually work related) and then I get angry at myself because if I hadn't procrastinated, I wouldn't be anxious. It's a bad cycle.

I bite and pick at my cuticles. I've done it since I was pretty young so I've given up on ever breaking the habit.

I don't worry enough about certain things.

I am a supremely picky eater. This is probably the thing I hate most about myself. There are so many good looking things that I really want to like and I don't, like fruit and eggs. Don't get me wrong, I eat plenty. I just don't like a lot of foods, and unfortunately a lot of what I do like isn't all that healthy.

MikiAndoFan#1
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm shy, I stutter, I also hate to talk on the phone, I'm weird. The list goes on and on.

:P

One thing I love about myself: I'm very tall!

:cheer:

Veronika
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM

I am in the exact same situation. I can't tell you many fights we've been in about his lateness and poor time management skills. I am someone who is usually early or on time. :angryfire

I view being on time as very important, it's a sign of courtesy and respect to others. I don't think my husband will ever see it that way. :(

mmscfdcsu
06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I am in the exact same situation. I can't tell you many fights we've been in about his lateness and poor time management skills. I am someone who is usually early or on time. :angryfire

I view being on time as very importatnt, it's a sign of courtesy and respect to others. I don't think my husband will ever see it that way. :(

ITA. And...Personality Disorders have time management problems. I can almost diagnose by what time someone shows up for their session. :(

BlueRidge
06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Wow, I have almost everything listed here. I'm painfully shy, have a phone phobia
(yes, everything should be done via email!), am a procrastinator, am sometimes disorganized and often compare myself to others and find myself wanting.

But the one I have the most problem with, is the fact that I'm a non-talker. It's not so much that I'm shy, but that I'd rather sit back and watch/listen to what's going on around me rather than contribute to the conversation. I never thought much of it until one of my co-workers mentioned that it was "creepy"... and now that's all I can think of whenever there's a group of people around. So then I try to include myself more, but generally fail.

Not talking is a facet of shyness and the introversion that goes with it. I have had the same problem in work situations. Its very hard to overcome.

PrincessLeppard
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM

A person has to be a very good friend or a family member in order for me to call them. I always feel like I'm interrupting someone when I call.

Also, I find talking on the phone a waste of time.

Posting on the internet, however, is a perfectly fine waste of time. :shuffle:

snoopy
06-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Sometimes I don’t like to talk but it is probably more symptomatic of another flaw: laziness. But then I very rarely get mad at people mostly because of laziness too. It takes a lot of energy to be mad. So the laziness thing has its plusses and minuses.

Veronika
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
ITA. And...Personality Disorders have time management problems. I can almost diagnose by what time someone shows up for their session. :(

Hmm, I have someone else in my life who has no regard for time, and I think she's batsh*t crazy! It all makes sense!!! :wall: