PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about yourself!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

MOIJTO
07-04-2010, 01:38 PM
You're welcome! If I remember correctly, I believe that Graves Disease is more common in younger women in their 20's. I only discovered I had the disease because I was required to have a physical examination for a job I had applied for. I'll never forget that because my doctor thought at first I was taking speed since my heart rate was 140! :lol:

I have NON clinical hyper thyroid, its related to but NOT Graves disease and you can have NON clinical hypothyroid too. I do have a small goiter, that has shrunk but still present, and yes I have been tested. My THS was the only thyroid hormone that was out of whack. It was at a normal level 2 years ago, but since our financial troubles I have been unable to follow up. I will hopefully before the end of the year, I intend on finding a new PC doc. My previous Doc, who I liked very much still has his billing done from the company I worked for and I do not want them knowing anything of my personal information. Its just smart.

NON clinical hyperthyroid can be a pesky. Most often its just monitored. I have had 2 friends who had thyroid cancer and of course their thyroids are totally removed. Their experience was horrible to say the least. Both are on synthroid and run slightly hyper (they are watched) its very hard to balance and much better than running slightly hypo which causes all kinds of problems.

london_calling
07-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I get frustrated easily. If I want to learn to do something I always expect to be immediately skilled at what I'm trying and when I'm not, I give up. It's not a reasonable expectation but I can't seem to change it.

Simone411
07-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I understand where you're coming from. I have a problem with that, too. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that Virgos are perfectionists or what but I always want it done right the first time. If I can't achieve that, I will continue until I do get it right. I also can't stand anything messy and everything has it's place. My friends have told me before that it doesn't look like anyone lives in my house because of everything being in place. I've been working on that, though. I've learned to not be so particular about things. :lol:

I have NON clinical hyper thyroid, its related to but NOT Graves disease and you can have NON clinical hypothyroid too. I do have a small goiter, that has shrunk but still present, and yes I have been tested. My THS was the only thyroid hormone that was out of whack. It was at a normal level 2 years ago, but since our financial troubles I have been unable to follow up. I will hopefully before the end of the year, I intend on finding a new PC doc. My previous Doc, who I liked very much still has his billing done from the company I worked for and I do not want them knowing anything of my personal information. Its just smart.

NON clinical hyperthyroid can be a pesky. Most often its just monitored. I have had 2 friends who had thyroid cancer and of course their thyroids are totally removed. Their experience was horrible to say the least. Both are on synthroid and run slightly hyper (they are watched) its very hard to balance and much better than running slightly hypo which causes all kinds of problems.

First of all, I'm sorry about your friends and my prayers are with them. Thank you for explaining about non clinical hyperthyroidism. I didn't know that much about it. I'm sorry that you've had to suffer with it. Hugs! My stepsister was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago. She always had a problem with her weight. She had tried about every weight loss plan there was but still couldn't lose weight. When she found out, she was put on meds and it helped some.

She weighed close to 300 pounds when she was diagnosed. She still takes her meds but she also uses herbs and vitamin supplements that contain Kelp, Selenium and Bladderwrack. She also cooks her food in Coconut Oil. She now weighs around 182 and is finally able to excercise which is something she couldn't do before. Her goal is to get down to 135. There's no doubt in my mind that she will accomplish that.

Any type of thyroid diesease is serious, and if people are having problems losing or gaining weight (or having any of the other symptoms I described), they should see their doctor ASAP. It's nothing to play around with. I was lucky because my disease was detected early. I didn't have the goiter but my eyes were beginning to get large or wide. It wasn't drastic but it could have been if I hadn't went for the checkup when I did. When I went into remission, my eyes were normal again and my vision was okay, too. I was so thankful for that.

I don't know if anyone here has ever seen what can actually happen to people with Graves Disease and it can be drastic. Sometimes it's also irreversible. Warning: It's not a pretty sight. If you can't handle something horrific, don't look.

http://www.redatlas.org/fr_index.htm?/RAPages/D/D012.htm

MOIJTO
07-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Simone411 what great news about your step sister.

Yes you are right about any thyroid problem being serious. I have been anxious about not having been checked for 2 years but so it goes!

Anita18
07-05-2010, 04:08 AM
That's when I learned that life was too short and to appreciate the loved ones that are still around. I also learned how much life can be a battle at times because there are people in this world that are cruel, crazy and sometimes relentless. I'm proud to say that I've won that battle and was able to put that behind me. The point I'm making is that you have to be strong and face those battles no matter whether you win or lose.

musesksk9r, don't be hard on yourself at all because you are a wonderful, loving person that hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can see. The people that have taken advantage of you or have taken things out on you are more than likely facing troubles of their own that they don't know how to handle.
This this this and gazillion times this.

I have no idea why some people feel the need to ridicule or judge others. It's such a waste of energy (on both sides) that could be put to something productive, or at least something positive. Being happy, relaxed, and comfortable should be the end goal for everyone, not being anxious or being judged or judging others. Just let each other be.

I actually pity people who feel the need to judge others, because obviously they can't think of anything better to do with their time. I mean, just how pathetic must one's life be to find the time and energy to do that?

I suppose that's also me being judgmental, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Spinner
07-05-2010, 05:00 AM
This this this and gazillion times this.

I have no idea why some people feel the need to ridicule or judge others. It's such a waste of energy (on both sides) that could be put to something productive, or at least something positive. Being happy, relaxed, and comfortable should be the end goal for everyone, not being anxious or being judged or judging others. Just let each other be.

I actually pity people who feel the need to judge others, because obviously they can't think of anything better to do with their time. I mean, just how pathetic must one's life be to find the time and energy to do that?

I suppose that's also me being judgmental, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

:lol: This echoes how I feel x 10,000. The amount of energy you get to use is finite. Do you want to spend it all hating/judging/worrying? You only get one ride down the slide of life, make sure you can say "WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!" all the way down. ;)

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes..."When you judge someone, you don't define them, you define yourself."

cruisin
07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
:lol: This echoes how I feel x 10,000. The amount of energy you get to use is finite. Do you want to spend it all hating/judging/worrying? You only get one ride down the slide of life, make sure you can say "WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!" all the way down. ;)

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes..."When you judge someone, you don't define them, you define yourself."

That quote defines words to live by.

As far as worrying, though, some of us really can't help it. Even those of us who acknowledge that we worry needlessly, we just - worry. Don't even know why sometimes.

Simone411, thank you for posting that link. When I was in high school there was a girl who had some sort of thyroid problem. I don't know if it was graves. Her eyes were quite popped and she had a scar on her neck. It was really awful that this young lady not only had to deal with her illness, but she was made fun of by the ignorant jerks in the school. People can be so cruel.

twinsissv
07-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Phone...no problem.
Internet...no problem.
Sending letters and crazy cards...no problem.
However, face-to-face meetings with people...BIG PROBLEM!!! :scream:

MOIJTO
07-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Phone...no problem.
Internet...no problem.
Sending letters and crazy cards...no problem.
However, face-to-face meetings with people...BIG PROBLEM!!! :scream:

My husband use to have a terrible time with face-to-face, he did the Dale Carniegie course in his early 20's and that really helped.

Its really a comfort level and confidence issue, I do not have that problem at all, where I do struggle from time to time is one-on-one when the other person is very quiet and shy, its uncomfortable to carry a conversation with one word sentences!

missflick
07-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Call me weird, but I have a thing against public toilets. Even when I am at work, there is one toilet I will go to all the time, and avoid the others. If the toilet is not working, I'll wait until I get home.

Japanfan
07-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Well-said and I agree.

I do judge people by my own standards but those standards are relatively benign. Basically I think that many of us have particular challenges and issues in our lives that are problematic and may not jive with what we ideally would have wanted for ourselves. But given that those challenges and issues exist and define us, learning from them is necessary if one is to grow or change - and become the best that one can be.

I'm a big believer in the harm reduction philosophy and think it really applies to the the learning of life lessons. If at the end of my life I am able to say that I learned my life lessons well and reduced the harm that I brought upon myself, I will call it a life lived successfully.

Right now I've got a colleague who appears to maybe not be learning her life lessons. She lives in the basement of our house - we rent the upstairs suite of the house. She has an extremely unhealthy co-dependent relationship with her partner due to addiction issues. Her partner is 'helping' her by providing drugs he gets somewhat illicitly to her. Using various substances and engaging in addictive television watching is turning their brains to silly putty.

What is tragic in this situation is they are not trying to make it better. They have had major drug and emotional problems - leading the woman, my friend, to spend two weeks a psychiatric facility.

These have all been issues in the past and I'm not seeing them address them. They've been bankrupt before and appear to be going bankrupt again (despite laws regarding how often a person can declare bankruptcy - he promotes credit cards for a living and knows how to manipulate the system). Given that he is 50 and she is 60, one would hope that they would have learned from past experiences of drug addiction and money spending addiction.

MOIJTO
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Japanfan...the old saying: You can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink.

Many people live with co-dependency because its easy and its what they know, the idea of living without chaos and strife is far to terrifying for them. Those of us that see the picture from a different perspective cannot understand why someone would want to live like that. Most do not, but the fear that drives them is what also holds them hostage to themselves.

It takes great courage and great perseverance and unbiased support to overcome these things.

cruisin
07-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Call me weird, but I have a thing against public toilets. Even when I am at work, there is one toilet I will go to all the time, and avoid the others. If the toilet is not working, I'll wait until I get home.

I am not big on public toilets either. Hopefully this will not gross anyone out. But, it's not so much the toilet - you can cover that. It's that many women stand to pee. Half of the time they miss the bowl, then the next person/s walk in the pee on the floor. It gets on your shoes, the bottoms of your pants (if they are long and you must lower them to use the toilet). And some women put their purses down on the floor in public restrooms :eek:. I check the floors in the stalls before I go in to see if they are wet. I know that even dry floors are germy, but at least I can't see it :lol:.

Moijto, I would also add that many of us are very good at seeing problems in others, yet we are unable to see the same sort of issues in ourselves.

MOIJTO
07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Moijto, I would also add that many of us are very good at seeing problems in others, yet we are unable to see the same sort of issues in ourselves.

And that's because we are quick to judge rather than understand, which on this forum runs in spades!!!

cruisin
07-16-2010, 03:12 PM
And that's because we are quick to judge rather than understand, which on this forum runs in spades!!!

To be fair, I think it runs in spades everywhere. We tend to hear or read things through the filter of our own perspective. We judge based on that and not always what the person is actually saying. We also tend to attribute extreme thinking to positions we don't agree with. We also have a tendency to believe what the media tells us. If the media says that person A did something - it must be true. We don't wait to see if facts bear accusations out. And often the facts don't come out if the media doesn't want them to.