PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

KatieC
09-06-2010, 06:02 AM
I liked the first two movies just because I could actually see them. It appears to be the fashion nowadays to film things so dark that I spend my time listening more than seeing.

I couldn't figure out why in POA they didn't mention the four transformations for Lupin, James, Sirius and Pettigrew. It would have taken about 10 seconds.

I've always liked the scenes (in the books) of the P.M.'s office. They've never been shown in the movies, but it links the wizarding world with the rest of the world. Brings things into the present.

And, I always wondered where they came up with the opening of the HBP. Why would Harry, who's always been protected and watched at Little Whinging, be moping about a tube station late at night?

nerdycool
09-06-2010, 06:52 AM
And on a superficial note, I hated Harry and Ron's haircuts.I agree. Out of all the mess that is GoF, this is one of the things that stands out for me, and not in a good way. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't do long hair well, and before we started getting set shots for DH, I halfway feared they'd make him grow his hair out for it, since Harry has longer hair in the book.

GoF holds the title for being my favorite HP book, but least favorite movie. Needless to say, I was deeply disappointed once I saw it. The part I loathe the most is that they turned Fleur from being a competent and smart witch, into a noob who should look into other career options. They didn't have to give her more screen time, but they didn't have to dumb her down either.

My favorite film thus far is actually SS. People complain about it because Christopher Columbus followed the book almost to a T. But that's what I like about it because the book is spellbinding. And to me, you can't go wrong with that!

IceAlisa
09-06-2010, 08:04 AM
It's been a long time since I read DH, but I'm betting the wedding scene is going to get the axe, along with Lupin's attempt to go with Harry, and a shortened version of the events at the Ministry of Magic, Black house and the part in the book that dragged IMO with the 3 main characters (and then just Harry and Herminoe) wandering in the forest.

I have re-read DH recently in preparation for the movie release and think that while the wedding itself is interesting, other than Aunt Muriel's trip down the memory lane there is nothing crucial that could not get omitted.

It's probably obvious but I anticipate Michael Gambon to be Aberforth, the goat...um...admirer in the second film.

reckless
09-06-2010, 10:39 AM
It's probably obvious but I anticipate Michael Gambon to be Aberforth, the goat...um...admirer in the second film.
Ciarán Hinds is playing Aberforth.

rfisher
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
My favorite film thus far is actually SS. People complain about it because Christopher Columbus followed the book almost to a T. But that's what I like about it because the book is spellbinding. And to me, you can't go wrong with that!

This. I loved that movie. When AR did the I could bottle death lines, he became the image of Severus Snape forever.

vesperholly
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree. Out of all the mess that is GoF, this is one of the things that stands out for me, and not in a good way. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't do long hair well, and before we started getting set shots for DH, I halfway feared they'd make him grow his hair out for it, since Harry has longer hair in the book.

What can I say, I'm hopelessly visual. I thought Harry looked best in PoA.

As much as the first film isn't my cup of tea, it was cast almost impeccably (love Maggie Smith but still not sold on her as McGonagall). That's one of the biggest hurdles of all, especially when you're casting something that's a lengthy series.

Later casting has been uneven but mostly good. Amazing: David Thewlis as Lupin, Brendan Gleeson as Moody, Gary Oldman as Sirius, Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy. Could've been better: Fleur, Tonks, Weasley twins (though I may be biased by all the echoing lines). Worst of all: Michael Gambon gets Dumbledore so very, very wrong. SMH.

Theatregirl1122
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Worst of all: Michael Gambon gets Dumbledore so very, very wrong. SMH.

Oh, I think he's rather awful. He just doesn't get the character at all. I think, if I remember correctly, he said at some point that he hasn't read the books. It shows.

I think one of the things that annoyed me the most about movie 4 was the maze. Instead of actually putting things in the maze, they just had it try to eat people. And I thought Cedric was far more sympathetic in the books.

Although still nothing annoys me as much as "lets have the death eaters randomly attack the Weasly house" from movie six. Except for possibly later in the movie when the Death Eaters manage to get into Hogwarts after all this work and all they do is break dishes and light Hagrid's empty hut on fire.

But it could always be worse. It could have been Prince Caspian. A movie that I can't even enjoy because of how stupid their changes were.

genevieve
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree. Out of all the mess that is GoF, this is one of the things that stands out for me, and not in a good way. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't do long hair well, and before we started getting set shots for DH, I halfway feared they'd make him grow his hair out for it, since Harry has longer hair in the book.
I disagree - I though GoF was the closest to getting book Harry's permanently disheveled hair right. When he showed up in film 5 with practically a military buzz cut I was :wall:

As much as the first film isn't my cup of tea, it was cast almost impeccably (love Maggie Smith but still not sold on her as McGonagall). That's one of the biggest hurdles of all, especially when you're casting something that's a lengthy series....Later casting has been uneven but mostly good. Amazing: David Thewlis as Lupin, Brendan Gleeson as Moody, Gary Oldman as Sirius, Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy. Could've been better: Fleur, Tonks, Weasley twins (though I may be biased by all the echoing lines). Worst of all: Michael Gambon gets Dumbledore so very, very wrong. SMH.
:eek: I love Maggie Smith in these films! Agree about Lupin, Sirius, Lucius Malfoy. I actually think the Weasley twins are rather perfect. I barely remember film Fleur, agree that Tonks is terrible. I think Emme Thompson as Trelawney was great and Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart was particularly inspired.

But I will never forgive for the complete and utter miscasting (or more likely just misdirection, as I think the actress could've been just fine) of Dolores Umbridge.

Oh, I think he's rather awful. He just doesn't get the character at all. I think, if I remember correctly, he said at some point that he hasn't read the books. It shows.

I really didn't get the uproar about Gambon, but having recently seen the early movies back to back, the difference between Harris and Gambon was pretty clear. I'm still not as outraged as many fans are (I think the Umbridge characterization is far worse and makes me think Yates never read the book before he directed the film), but I do get it - Harris was great, and really got the humor in Dumbledore.

ETA: I found this link of casting for all the films. I'm sad to see that Phineas Nigellus Black is not slated to appear in either of the DH films.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Harry_Potter_cast_members#Principal_charac ters
or possibly they haven't released the names? But Crabbe is listed as "will not appear", although Goyle will. Guess that means the Fiendfyre scene will be a bit different.

nerdycool
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I disagree - I though GoF was the closest to getting book Harry's permanently disheveled hair right. When he showed up in film 5 with practically a military buzz cut I was :wall:You're right about his GoF hair being closer to what it is in the books. Still don't like it long, though that's just my opinion :)

But Crabbe is listed as "will not appear", although Goyle will. Guess that means the Fiendfyre scene will be a bit different.The actor who played Crabbe was busted for being in possession of cannabis before DH filming started, and it was found that he was growing it in his mother's house as well. So he was essentially fired from HP.

genevieve
09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh that's right - I was trying to remember if it was that character. I guess they didn't want to bother recasting a character people have known from the beginning of the film series

Theatregirl1122
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart was particularly inspired.

Indeed, this casting was completely... apt.

But I will never forgive for the complete and utter miscasting (or more likely just misdirection, as I think the actress could've been just fine) of Dolores Umbridge.

I agree with this, I really wasn't happy with the way that character was portrayed. My problem with Gambon is that his Dumbledore comes across as kind of, I don't know, angry? There isn't nearly as much warmth to him as I feel like there should be and the humor isn't there.

vesperholly
09-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Although still nothing annoys me as much as "lets have the death eaters randomly attack the Weasly house" from movie six. Except for possibly later in the movie when the Death Eaters manage to get into Hogwarts after all this work and all they do is break dishes and light Hagrid's empty hut on fire.
Don't even remind me ... :lynch:

:eek: I love Maggie Smith in these films! Agree about Lupin, Sirius, Lucius Malfoy. I actually think the Weasley twins are rather perfect. I barely remember film Fleur, agree that Tonks is terrible. I think Emme Thompson as Trelawney was great and Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart was particularly inspired.
Ah yes, Branagh. :rofl: Thompson is a hilarious Trelawney.

IDK about Maggie Smith - I love her and her acting, but I still get a tiny bit of a disconnect between the McGonagall from the books. I will never forgive them if they cut the scene where McGonagall leads the school desks into battle, though. The Weasley twins are probably more miswritten than miscast. Steve Kloves seems to have a particular issue with retaining the personalities from book to film - Action!Hermione, anyone?

So terrible, I've blocked it from my mind. Imelda Staunton is a great actress and tried her very best, but in the end, she is just too attractive to play Umbridge. They really needed someone much more foul.

rfisher
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Steve Kloves seems to have a particular issue with retaining the personalities from book to film - Action!Hermione, anyone?

Yes. I hate that they've given Hermione Ron's lines and roles way too many times. It's as if they agree with the Harry/Hermione shippers and refuse to realize JKR put she and Ron together from Book Two forward. And Emma Watson is too pretty for Hermione.

I will be majorly disappointed if Neville doesn't get his big scene.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm curious to know what you think: do you think there's going to be an 8th book?

KatieC
09-07-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm curious to know what you think: do you think there's going to be an 8th book?

I don't think so, but in my imagination, Dudley Dursley has a child that turns out to be a wizard. :watch: