PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58

rfisher
07-28-2011, 06:35 PM
:blah:

You've made it quite clear you didn't enjoy the film, but some of the others in this thread did.

As neither my opinion of the movie nor yours has any bearing on what films are nominated for the academy, a big :blah: back at ya! :lol:

VIETgrlTerifa
07-29-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up about an Oscar. Plus, they're nice and all, but who really cares in the long run. They don't change whether I like a movie or not. The fans gave the film all the recognition you could ask for, in my opinion.

Some people are just award-nuts (like me!) and find the whole politiking and Hollywood machinations mixed with an attitude of actually believing in the Award's credibility and ideals to be fascinating.

All-in-all, despite the HP movies not needing any vindication by the Academy, I bet you the producers and WB would seriously love it and are actually trying their best to seek it out.

About the BAFTAs, don't they more-or-less correlate with the Oscars? I don't understand where the attitude that they are some how any less pretentious comes from.

michiruwater
07-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Generally, I've heard that the BAFTAs are more credible in their nominations and are the awards really to look at when looking for a list of the most deserving films that year.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
But the BAFTAs tend to make very similar choices to the Oscars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFTA_Award_for_Best_Film#2010s

This is just Best Film/Picture and although they sometimes choose a different winner, the nominees are usually the same movies that the Oscars nominate. I noticed similarities in the other categories as well.

Their membership make-up is also similar to the Oscars.

. BAFTA is supported by a membership of around 6000 people from the film, television and video game industries.

So basically, both academies have members made up of industry folk and winners are chosen by their peers. I'd understand if one were to say that the National Society of Film Critics or New York Film Critics Circle have more credibility, but then even that has problems as film critics have a reputation of rewarding certain kinds of films and critic organizations vary in clout (compare the National Film Critics Society to that of the Broadcast Film Critics).

agalisgv
07-29-2011, 09:20 AM
General hp question--was there a reason voldemort stayed under the radar for 11 years? All his efforts to return seem concentrated after Harry came to hogwarts. Did voldemort do much prior to that to regain physical form?

rfisher
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
He didn't get an opportunity until Quirrell dropped by the forest in Albania. The only discussion is in GOF when he's telling Harry how he had to possess snakes and rats until Quirrel came along. Quirrell was apparently very susceptible to possession.

I always wondered how he got back his wand. That was never addressed in the books, yet Wormtail somehow has it in his possession after the resurrection.

icewalker08
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
After MTV award, Snape won once more again: :)

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-harry-potter-characters

agalisgv
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Why was he roaming the forests of Albania instead of Godric's Hollow?

FigureSpins
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/voldemort-narrative.html

After the Curse rebounded, he was still alive, but Voldemort didn't have a body. He had to possess others' bodies. He fled to go into hiding until he could figure out how to get a body...I guess Albania was one of the places he had done his Dark Arts walkabout. He survived by possessing animals, mostly snakes.

Quirrell made the mistake of doing a research trip to Albania, where Voldemort convinced him to join his ranks. I don't think Quirrell was a Death Eater, but after he failed to do LV's bidding, Voldy possessed him as well.

When Quirrell was defeated, LV ended up back in Albania until Wormtail found him. That trip is when Bertha Jorgesen buys the farm and reveals Barty Crouch Jr's whereabouts. It's also when Nagini becomes his companion and Horcrux.

I don't know how V got his wand back, though. Good question.

rfisher
07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Albania was apparently a dark arts haven as that was where Tom Riddle became Lord Voldemort. Dumbledore discusses this with Harry in HBP when they are researching the rise of Voldemort and the horcruxes.

Skittl1321
07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Albania was apparently a dark arts haven as that was where Tom Riddle became Lord Voldemort. Dumbledore discusses this with Harry in HBP when they are researching the rise of Voldemort and the horcruxes.

He went to Albania to find the diadem the Grey Lady had told him about. Didn't Dumbledore say his friends already called him LV at school? I thought he went by that as soon as he figured out his father was not a wizard, which was while he was still at school.

Or just that the group called themselves Death Eaters at school? (I know they did that.)

I think he went back to Albania after his destruction, and again after he didn't steal the stone, because he knew it was a good place to hide.

rfisher
07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
He went to Albania to find the diadem the Grey Lady had told him about. Didn't Dumbledore say his friends already called him LV at school? I thought he went by that as soon as he figured out his father was not a wizard, which was while he was still at school.

Or just that the group called themselves Death Eaters at school? (I know they did that.)

I think he went back to Albania after his destruction, and again after he didn't steal the stone, because he knew it was a good place to hide.

He did go there for the diadem, but that's also when he was traveling after leaving Borgin and Burke's employment (and stealing the cup and locket). He emerged from that period as the true LV having not only created the horcurxes but other dark magic. His appearance had already changed by the time he showed up at Hogwarts to hide the diadem and that feeble attempt to see if Dumbledore would give him the DOA job. That's also when he started getting the real death eaters. Wormtail knew to go to Albania to look for him.

FigureSpins
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Albania was where the Grey Lady hid the Diadem she stole from her mother? I did not know that. Thanks!
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Rowena_Ravenclaw's_Diadem

I knew about Helena's connection to the Bloody Baron, but didn't realize that their deathly encounter was in the Albanian Forest.

I know Riddle gets it back into the Room of Requirement/Hidden Things at Hogwarts before he kills James & Lily. I think he did it the night that he came to ask Dumbledore for a job and DD says he though Tom just wanted to get into Hogwarts for something. We see the diadem when Harry hides the Half-Blood Prince's potion book in that same room in year six. Harry sticks it on top of a bust with a wig, so that he can find his book if he needs to later. (Guess everything in that room is gone forever, courtesy of the FiendFyre.)

IceAlisa
07-29-2011, 04:40 PM
(Guess everything in that room is gone forever, courtesy of the FiendFyre.)

And that's too bad, isn't it? Snape's Potions textbook would have been useful in creating that sorely needed new edition. ;)

agalisgv
07-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I always wondered how he got back his wand. That was never addressed in the books, yet Wormtail somehow has it in his possession after the resurrection. Wasn't Wormtail at the Potter's house after V killed them? I assumed V's wand would still be in the house after he used it. So while Pettigrew made it look like he was killed there, he could have retrieved V's wand in the process and kept it with him.

On the topic of dead voldy, when v used the killing curse against Harry as a baby, did v's body disappear, or was v's dead body there along with the others? Was there a grave for v all those years?