PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58

Jenna
07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
No way will it get a Best Picture nomination. The film wasn't that good and these types of movies never get nominated. A nomination for Alan Rickman would be the only possibility for a major award.

:blah:

You've made it quite clear you didn't enjoy the film, but some of the others in this thread did.

IceJunkie
07-27-2011, 07:31 AM
It was a critical success - arguably the biggest of the season - and I think the Academy will have to take notice of that.

Return of the King won Best Picture. That being said, LOTR had also gotten Oscar love in the past, and HP has not.

IceAlisa
07-27-2011, 07:33 AM
I have been reading critics' reviews--most of them sing the movie's praises. I don't think this was the case with DH 1.

Whether the Academy will take notice remains to be seen. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the process.

MacMadame
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM
And has a Sci-Fi movie ever won Best Picture? I looked through a list of the winners and I didn't see any, but I may have missed one?
Didn't 2001 win one year? I could be wrong about that as it was a long time ago.

You've made it quite clear you didn't enjoy the film, but some of the others in this thread did.

But what does that have to do with what films will be nominated by the Academy? :lol: Seriously, popularity almost seems to be a negative with them.

icewalker08
07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I dont think Hollywood ever forgives Harry Potter's people (or should I say JKR?) for not using American actors!!!! There will be no Oscar even for the last one:/

Bostonfan
07-27-2011, 10:08 AM
English actors have never had any problem being shown the love from the Academy.

That said, if (and it's a big if) it does get nominated for Best Picture it will be because they've expanded the number of nominations. Under the old 5 nomination system, it wouldn't even be a consideration for the major categories.

icewalker08
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
English actors have never had any problem being shown the love from the Academy.

Sorry I didnt meant that Being English stop them of getting nominated I am talking about the fact that many in Hollywood annoyed by JKR insisting to use only english actors. I remember seeing some articles about that back in 2000-1. I hope I am wrong though!!

ssminnow
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Finally saw it. I forget, but is it intentional from the books that Ginny looks so much like Lily?

kwanatic
07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
^^There are similarities between them in terms of looks. Lily had red hair, as did Ginny...though I always imagined Lily with more of an auburn colored hair and Ginny as an actual redhead.

In terms of the movie being nominated for an Oscar. I did enjoy the movie, but I don't know if the Academy would nominate it. I think it'd be great, just as a thanks and farewell to the series if they did nominate it for best picture, but I seriously doubt they'd let it win. I do think it'll get nods for visual effects, set design, makeup, etc....the production Oscars. But in terms of movie itself, I liked it but I wouldn't even nominate it for best picture.

michiruwater
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Didn't 2001 win one year? I could be wrong about that as it was a long time ago.

No, it wasn't even nominated. 2001's reputation grew with time as opposed to getting critical acclaim when it first came out.

Star Wars was nominated but lost to Annie Hall. As someone pointed out, Avatar was nominated but Avatar also barely won anything that year.

Pretty sure a Sci-Fi movie has never won Best Picture. The only fantasy film I can think of that has was LOTR. The Dark Knight was the best-reviewed non-animated film that year but wasn't even nominated (Wall*E, the best reviewed overall film, also wasn't nominated for the big prize). The Academy is full of such snobs, and I really don't get it sometimes.

Not that HP has any shot of winning, but as I stated earlier I think a nomination is quite possible, even likely. We'll see.

Also, the HP franchise has 9 nominations spread out over its previous 7 films, for things like art direction and visual effects. I don't believe it's won anything.

Edit: Dan thinks Alan deserves a nomination. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/8622336/Daniel-Radcliffe-Alan-Rickman-deserves-Oscar-nomination-for-Severus-Snape.html)

IceAlisa
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
^^There are similarities between them in terms of looks. Lily had red hair, as did Ginny...though I always imagined Lily with more of an auburn colored hair and Ginny as an actual redhead.

I finally realized that I've imagined Ginny to be more like Isla Fisher in looks, charm and personality.

michiruwater
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Apparently we've all missed the fact that they're changing how BP works (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/awards-campaign/posts/breaking-academy-awards-wont-guarantee-10-best-picture-nominees-in-2012) again this year.

So, now I'm not so sure.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
It's not like Inglorious Basterds, Up, Toy Story 3, Inception, The Blind Side, or District 9 would ever have been movies typically nominated before they opened it up to 10 films two years ago. Opening it up allows them to nominate films the public likes but that have no prayer of winning - even though I'm pretty sure both Up and Toy Story 3 were the best-reviewed films of their respective years, but that's a different story.

I disagree about Inglorious Basterds just based on the fact that Quentin Taratino got a Best Director nomination, something the other films did not receive (yes, I know that films have gotten Best Director nods only to be snubbed for Best Picture), but I think Basterds was one of the few shoo-ins for a nomination that year.

Anyway, although Harry Potter's Best Picture chances are still up in the air, the Academy can't ignore that it's the most positively reviewed movie of the year (not the same thing as the highest reviewed movie of the year) and at 97% on RT and 87% on metacritic, it looks like that it's going to stay at the top or near the top by the time the year is over. I don't know how many reviewers were judging DH Part 2 as its own entity or were reviewing the series as a whole, but I think what works in HP's favor is that Academy members will probably remember the whole film series fondly and with some nostalgia and vote for DH part 2 as a way to reward a highly successful and unprecedented 7-part (or is it 8?) film series. However, with the Best Picture rule changes this year, who knows if will garner enough first place (or top 3) votes to be in contention and who knows how many movies will be in the Best Picture category (5-10).

Satellitegirl
07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up about an Oscar. Plus, they're nice and all, but who really cares in the long run. They don't change whether I like a movie or not. The fans gave the film all the recognition you could ask for, in my opinion.

victoriaheidi
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up about an Oscar. Plus, they're nice and all, but who really cares in the long run. They don't change whether I like a movie or not. The fans gave the film all the recognition you could ask for, in my opinion.

It just sucks that people view them as "less serious" or whatever.

At least they can sweep the BAFTAs.