PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58

victoriaheidi
07-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I wonder if his interviewing style has something to do with it? In every interview I've ever seen with Alan Rickman, he always comes across as bored and waiting for it to end, almost like he's being condescending.

I'm sure he doesn't mean to do it, it's probably just fatigue. He's very funny in interviews and occasionally playful, but it's almost as if he just wants to act, not promote. That can work against an actor with awards. Gotta be able to sell yourself.

I see what you mean. I think it's the fact that he hates discussing his work or his personal life-just in general. I once heard a quote from him that was something like, "I don't want to discuss the Harry Potter movies because there's always going to be a new generation of book readers, and they need to discover the series for themselves." As you said, he just wants to act.

If the Academy could give Harry Potter that ONE acting nomination, I think the entire cast and crew would see it as a huge victory for the normally-ignored movies. And a Best Picture nomination would be a wonderful reward for ten years of hard work.

IceAlisa
07-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I really hope DH 2 wins an Oscar for something, anything.

manleywoman
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
If the Academy could give Harry Potter that ONE acting nomination, I think the entire cast and crew would see it as a huge victory for the normally-ignored movies. And a Best Picture nomination would be a wonderful reward for ten years of hard work.

Similarly to how LOTR Return of the King was treated. It was an astounding achievement getting all three of those movies done the way they were done (ie: one director and crew with an overall long-term vision). I don't quite consider HP the same since over the course of years there were multiple directors and crew, but it would be nice if some of the acting were finally noticed after such a long body of work.

michiruwater
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
I think a Best Score nomination is almost certain, and depending upon other nominees it may win.

Cinematography too, probably. Same with make-up, special effects, and the other awards no one cares about, some of which it may win because they really stepped it up with this one.

But as for the main awards, I have been thinking since I saw it that it has a good shot at a Best Picture nomination, since there are 10 nominees now, it was a really good film, and the franchise is so popular... and I was also thinking that a BSA nomination for Alan is also quite a possibility. No one else will be nominated but I really think he has a good shot. Critics have been raving about his work for every single film for the past 10 years and he really brought his A-game to this one.

FigureSpins
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I don't really follow awards that much - is there a bias against fantasy movies? Science Fiction movies seem to do well, even the animated ones.

michiruwater
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Science Fiction movies do well?? On occasion I guess, but when was the last time a Sci-Fi movie won any of the big awards (Acting, Directing, Picture)? And has a Sci-Fi movie ever won Best Picture? I looked through a list of the winners and I didn't see any, but I may have missed one?

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy genres (and animated) rarely win any of those. Sometimes they are nominated.

LOTR was a notable recent exception.

FigureSpins
07-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I think they're nominated more than Fantasy. Like I said, I don't keep track of this stuff, but I do remember hearing about nominations.

Is LOTR considered Fantasy or SciFi?

IceJunkie
07-27-2011, 01:34 AM
LOTR is definitely fantasy.

Yes, I hope that Deathly Hallows Part II gets nominated for an Academy Award. I don't care if its Best Supporting Actor for Rickman, Best Score, Best Special Effects...though it would be a treat the Academy voters stopped being so pretentious and give it a Best Pic nod.

Skittl1321
07-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Science Fiction movies do well?? On occasion I guess, but when was the last time a Sci-Fi movie won any of the big awards (Acting, Directing, Picture)? And has a Sci-Fi movie ever won Best Picture? I looked through a list of the winners and I didn't see any, but I may have missed one?

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy genres (and animated) rarely win any of those. Sometimes they are nominated.

LOTR was a notable recent exception.

Avatar was at least nominated for quite a few major and won 3 minor Oscars (probably aren't so minor to those who get them).. I think it would be nice if HP at least got a nod, lots of people have said quite good things about this last one. (I didn't think any of the others were deserving, though maybe Snape for supporting actor, and the scores have been excellent)

AshleyN
07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Saw it. Wasn't as good as Part 1, but I still really enjoyed it. The Snape stuff was definitely the highlight, and Alan Rickman was terrific, but surprisingly I managed to avoid crying at that part. The tears never came until the scene where Harry uses the Resurrection Stone - although that chapter in the book is probably my favourite in the whole series, so I suppose it's not surprising that that's when I finally lost it.

Also, McGonagall is such a badass. I love her so much.

The epilogue was terrible - I really wish they had ended the series with that last shot of the trio on the bridge at Hogwarts, it was perfect.

Is LOTR considered Fantasy or SciFi?Heehee.

I'm sorry, but dragons? *sigh* Dragons are fantasy. If thereís magical talismans or a magic sword or wizards or f***ing crazy not-real animals... all these basic things that break laws of reality: that shitís all fantasy. Iím into hard sci-fi. Fantasy is bullshit.

Sorry, that's all I can think of whenever I see that question asked.

FigureSpins
07-27-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm laughing - the Syfy channel bought my allegiance with a free t-shirt and less hard-core scifi programming. I never watched that channel before they changed their name, image and programs. I don't watch crap like "Mansquito" or the various man-eating creatures that used to populate their schedule. I do miss Quantum Leap and shows of that ilk, but Warehouse 13 and Eureka fill the void quite nicely.

Back on topic: McGonagall was awesome - powerful and assertive. Really loved seeing her step up and take charge throughout the movie.

rfisher
07-27-2011, 03:18 AM
LOTR is definitely fantasy.

Yes, I hope that Deathly Hallows Part II gets nominated for an Academy Award. I don't care if its Best Supporting Actor for Rickman, Best Score, Best Special Effects...though it would be a treat the Academy voters stopped being so pretentious and give it a Best Pic nod.

No way will it get a Best Picture nomination. The film wasn't that good and these types of movies never get nominated. A nomination for Alan Rickman would be the only possibility for a major award.

my little pony
07-27-2011, 03:24 AM
No way will it get a Best Picture nomination. The film wasn't that good and these types of movies never get nominated. A nomination for Alan Rickman would be the only possibility for a major award.

i loved it :cheer: :cheer:

and even if you didnt, about half of the 10 oscar nom films will be crap anyway

michiruwater
07-27-2011, 03:55 AM
I totally disagree. I think it has a very good chance of being in the top 10, especially since the Academies are very political and they know that everyone will have seen this movie, and a lot of people my age - a demographic they need but do poorly on - will have seen and loved this film. Plus, although you didn't like it, it is a very well-reviewed film so far.

It's not like Inglorious Basterds, Up, Toy Story 3, Inception, The Blind Side, or District 9 would ever have been movies typically nominated before they opened it up to 10 films two years ago. Opening it up allows them to nominate films the public likes but that have no prayer of winning - even though I'm pretty sure both Up and Toy Story 3 were the best-reviewed films of their respective years, but that's a different story.

rfisher
07-27-2011, 04:03 AM
We'll see. :)