PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

zippy
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
^^In regard to Harry's eyes...

They never got that right...not even with Dan. The book says Harry has green eyes but they never bothered with contacts. I get why they didn't do it with Dan as a child, but it's stuff like that that really bothers me. Like I said, it's always the little details.

IIRC they tried green contacts for Dan and he wasn't able to wear them.

kwanatic
07-25-2011, 02:30 PM
See, Sirius' book death confused me. And still does: I don't think this veil thing was ever explicitly explained in books 6 and 7 as many had anticipated. I still don't get it entirely.

I admit it was a bit confusing to me as well, but the point was the veil was there as the "veil" between life and death. When Sirius fell through it, that was the end for him because one can't cross back and forth between life and death...it's a one-way trip. Like I said, the thing that made it so tragic and upsetting was that he wasn't dead when he went through the veil...but he still couldn't come back.

The movie version with Bellatrix AK'ing him first and then he just happened to be standing next to the veil makes more sense to me.

I agree. Because so few things in the movies are actually explained with any depth/clarity, it made more sense for him to die and then go through the veil...but that still irked me :rolleyes:.

And here's another thought, not that it's terribly original: all the screenplay modifications and departures from the cannon were approved by JKR herself. I remember reading a while ago when the movie franchise just began that JKR was very possessive of the material and afraid of Hollywoodization of the Potterverse (that's a lot of made-up words in one sentence!). Therefore, her contract gave her complete control over the material. So if JKR was OK with the changes, well, she was OK with the changes.

I know she reserved the right to put her foot down, which she did in PoA in regards to the whole graveyard thing. But for the most part, she turned creative control over to the filmmakers and let them go. I think early on she realized it wasn't going to be possible to do everything exactly by the book, so she just kept an eye on it for anything that was completely un-doable, and stepped back and let them take the reins.

Skittl1321
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
When Sirius fell through it, that was the end for him because one can't cross back and forth between life and death...it's a one-way trip.

I think it was pretty well explained when Dumbledore called the room the "death chamber". At least to me, it was a room where executions take place- rather than a hanging, a prisoner would walk through the veil. Poof- gone. Going through the veil kills you. (I agree, it was completely unnecessary for Bellatrix to AK him. Although, I have to wonder why the Death Eaters bother dueling, why not just kill everyone?)

FigureSpins
07-25-2011, 02:47 PM
To use AK, the witch/wizard has to build up some hate and anger towards the victim. Perhaps dueling helps fuel that fire.

I know she reserved the right to put her foot down, which she did in PoA in regards to the whole graveyard thing.

What was the whole graveyard thing?

michiruwater
07-25-2011, 02:54 PM
IIRC they tried green contacts for Dan and he wasn't able to wear them.

Yes, this is true. They tried all sorts of different green contacts in the first movie and his eyes just reacted terribly to them, so they gave up.

kwanatic
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I think it was pretty well explained when Dumbledore called the room the "death chamber". At least to me, it was a room where executions take place- rather than a hanging, a prisoner would walk through the veil. Poof- gone. Going through the veil kills you. (I agree, it was completely unnecessary for Bellatrix to AK him. Although, I have to wonder why the Death Eaters bother dueling, why not just kill everyone?)

Nope, according to JKR, it wasn't used for executions.

From the Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview:

MA: Was it used as an execution chamber or just studying?

JKR: No, it's just studying. The Department of Mysteries is all about studying. They study the mind, the universe, death...

What was the whole graveyard thing?

In PoA, Cuaron wanted to add a graveyard to the grounds of Hogwarts. I guess we'd have seen it when Harry, Ron and Hermione were running from were-Lupin; it'd just be part of the landscape. But JKR wouldn't allow this because it was important to book 6, where Dumbledore is buried on the school grounds...he's the only person buried on the grounds, therefore there couldn't be a graveyard anywhere at Hogwarts.

mpal2
07-25-2011, 03:21 PM
IDK, I guess that's why we have the books...I've got a question: does anybody have their own version of the characters/places/etc. in their mind, or have the movies replaced what you used to see?

I see the movie Luna, McGonagall and Harry (mostly from the earlier years), but the rest tend to be my own version from reading the books. Luna was one that I thought was very well cast and turned out better than my version. I think my original vision of McGonagall was very close so it's hard to tell how much blends into the other. I like the young Harry just because I thought he was such an adorable little kid. :)

ETA: :eek: I can't believe I forgot Snape. Alan Rickman rules and he will always be my vision of Snape now.

kwanatic
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
^^I always imagined a somewhat younger looking Snape. I guess that's why I don't see Alan Rickman's face, but I love his voice so I always hear that...

nerdycool
07-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I've got a question: does anybody have their own version of the characters/places/etc. in their mind, or have the movies replaced what you used to see?It's a mix for me. The only characters from the movies that make their way into my head while reading are Snape, Voldemort, Harris' DD, Hagrid, McGonagall and Molly Weasley. All the rest of them are products of my imagination. As for the places, only a few are from the movie... Hogwarts, Diagon Alley and the Great Hall.

Gil-Galad
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
^^I always imagined a somewhat younger looking Snape. I guess that's why I don't see Alan Rickman's face, but I love his voice so I always hear that...

They made all of the Marauders & Contemporaries so very old. Started with the picure of Harry's parents in the first movie, where they looked like they were in their early to mid thirties, when in fact they were in their early twenties at the time of their death.

IceAlisa
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I know she reserved the right to put her foot down, which she did in PoA in regards to the whole graveyard thing.

What graveyard thing? Please dish! :)

FigureSpins
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
What graveyard thing? Please dish!

Kwanatic's previous reply:

In PoA, Cuaron wanted to add a graveyard to the grounds of Hogwarts. I guess we'd have seen it when Harry, Ron and Hermione were running from were-Lupin; it'd just be part of the landscape. But JKR wouldn't allow this because it was important to book 6, where Dumbledore is buried on the school grounds...he's the only person buried on the grounds, therefore there couldn't be a graveyard anywhere at Hogwarts.

IceAlisa
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Kwanatic's previous reply:

Thanks! Interesting, I had no idea.

I remember that in PoA, JKR was pleased with one thing (well, more than one but this in particular) when Ron and Hermione grab each other when Harry goes to face Buckbeak. She thought it was a nice foreshadowing of their relationship later on and that Cuaron guessed it well.

I think it was pretty well explained when Dumbledore called the room the "death chamber".

Where does he say that? Which book or movie?

Also, back to Harry's eyes. Of course, no contacts for Dan if he couldn't tolerate them. But as someone had pointed out, how hard was it to find a girl that would at least have a resemblance to Dan's eyes? The boy who played Albus Severus sure did. This whole thing of Snape asking to look at Harry's eyes when Snape was dying was pointless.

rfisher
07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm PML at all the discussion of the muggle clothing 19 years later. No wizards dress well since they NEVER wear muggle clothing except events they have to be in the muggle world. Ginny would hardly have muggle fasionable clothing to wear to King's Cross Station. Or muggle TV or magazines. :lol: They always look a little odd. This really irked me in the movies when they dressed the adults in muggle clothing, even deatheaters!

Skittl1321
07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Where does he say that? Which book or movie?

It was called the Death Chamber at the end of the Order of the Phoenix books. He tells the minister he has left the death eaters in the Death Chamber, bound by an anti-apparation jinx.

Apparently it was NOT used for executions, according to JKR- but that seems like a pretty easy connection to make based on the name she gave it, and she seems to have a lot of backstory she didn't put into the books. Since her comment is not in the book, I'm sticking with my execution room theory, even though I now know I'm wrong. Guess they just "studied" death there...