PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

IceAlisa
07-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Nice interview of Matthew Lewis by The Rolling Stone:

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2011/07/23/matt-lewis-rolling-stones/

Good to know that kids these days are still into the Beatles. :)

Also, life imitates art?

During the filming of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Helena Bonham Carter, who portrays Bellatrix Lestrange, accidentally ruptured Lewis's eardrum when she stuck her wand in his ear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Lewis_(actor)

Bostonfan
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm irritated with the final showdown happening with no one else present. The book set the scene so that you could almost feel the collective holding of breath from Harry's supporters as they watched the final showdown. Then the thunderous cheering when Harry succeeds. That's what I was missing. These characters deserved to see Voldemort die. In the movie version, there'd be no grand tales to carry on about how they were there when Voldemort was vanguished.

Still, I'm looking forward to watching Pt 1 and 2 back to back.

FigureSpins
07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
I saw the cutest video biography of JK Rowling last night with my girls. It was called "Magic Beyond Words: The J. K. Rowling Story." It's showing again tonight on Lifetime network.

While I knew most of the story about Rowling's early life, this was a dramatization/reeenactment using real-life actors and sets/locations. The thing we liked most was, when she's writing bits and pieces of the story, the filmmaker incorporated some movie magic. The best bit had to be the floating candlesticks behind her as she types the "Sorting Hat" chapter in the Philosopher's Stone.

They didn't address the US title change, so it wasn't really in-depth, but it was a nice story for the family to watch, even with the domestic violence scene.

KatieC
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm irritated with the final showdown happening with no one else present. The book set the scene so that you could almost feel the collective holding of breath from Harry's supporters as they watched the final showdown. Then the thunderous cheering when Harry succeeds. That's what I was missing. These characters deserved to see Voldemort die. In the movie version, there'd be no grand tales to carry on about how they were there when Voldemort was vanguished.

And they deserved to see the body. All they got was ashes. :confused:

I had to explain the whole death wand progression to my friend as she didn't get the Dumbledore/Malfoy/Potter connection.

rfisher
07-24-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd read the first 4 books multiple times before the first movie so I had a clear mental image of the characters. The only two cast members who totally fit that picture were Alan Rickman and Richard Harris. In fact my idea of Snape was personified by Alan Rickman. I had no problems with the trio in the first movie. It was when they started dressing Hermione in Muggle clothing and letting her hair straighten that I started getting annoyed with them.

Ah well, I love the books and love listening to them on audiobook. I'll continue to enjoy them and will continue to hope JKR will decide to write more. Evil never dies and a new dark wizard could arise for adult Harry to deal with. :) She wanted to write adult books so there you have it.

star_gazer11
07-24-2011, 11:45 PM
My big problem: Was anyone else confused with the ending when Harry was or wasn't dead? Draco's mom leans over Harry and says something like "Is he dead, Draco, is he dead?"

Narcissa was asking Harry if Draco was dead.

Just saw it this weekend. Not just you, BigB08822, I was also very confused by this! The phrasing/directing/acting sounded to me like Narcissa was asking Draco if Harry was dead, not the other way around.

Loved the Snape reveal. I missed seeing more of the students/teachers in battle. Agreed that Hermione/Ron's kiss was just meh.

I rewatched all of the previous films on dvd, except DH part one in the week before I went to see this.

PoA still stands out head and shoulders above the other films for me. I even went and got the soundtrack after this rewatch.

I actually thought OoTP was good except the glaring difference of making Cho the snitch for Dumbledore's Army (I didn't mind the change, it was that there was no explanation for her doing it). I have a soft spot for Luna, who is perfectly cast. Maybe the different screenwriter for this one also made a difference?

algonquin
07-25-2011, 12:19 AM
I actually thought OoTP was good except the glaring difference of making Cho the snitch for Dumbledore's Army (I didn't mind the change, it was that there was no explanation for her doing it)Yes, there was, Umbridge gave Cho truth potion. In her office, Umbridge demands that Snape give her more truth potion to which Snape replies that she used the last of it on Cho.

kwanatic
07-25-2011, 01:59 AM
I actually thought OoTP was good except the glaring difference of making Cho the snitch for Dumbledore's Army (I didn't mind the change, it was that there was no explanation for her doing it). I have a soft spot for Luna, who is perfectly cast. Maybe the different screenwriter for this one also made a difference?

OoTP was just too big of a departure from the story for me. I really should go back and watch it again because I went to see it the weekend the 7th book came out--it was part of me and my friends' HP weekend: release party, get the book, read, break and go see the movie, come back and read...

Maybe I was just too anxious to get back to the book (I left off right at the part where Nagini attacks Harry and Hermione in Bathilda Bagshot's house!) b/c I can't recall a single thing about that movie that I liked. My exact words when the credits came up were "Well, that was just awful.":lol:

My issues with it were very technical, ie. departures from the book. All of the Death Eaters were able to fly.:mad: That was supposed to be exclusive to Voldemort and Snape...I get they did it b/c it looked cool, but again, on a technicality, it pissed me off. Oh, and I didn't like the fact that they made Cho as the snitch on the group. That was just dirty. It was her friend Marietta; and did they even do Hermione's "SNEAK" curse on Cho? OH, and the fact that Bellatrix killed Sirius with Avada Kedavra before he fell through the veil. What was so tragic about the whole thing was that she didn't kill him, but that he fell through the veil alive and was unable to come back through. Wrong, wrong, wrong...:rolleyes:

Like I said, I should try to sit through it again...but as it stands, it is the only HP movie (apart from DH part 1 b/c I'm waiting on the blu-ray set of part 1 and 2) that I do not own. IMO, the best movie was Chamber of Secrets in terms of sticking to the storyline. POA was good as well, though Cuaron added a few things--the movie still stuck to the tracks for the most part. GoF was okay, and really had only a few redeeming parts about it, namely the graveyard scene. As I said, I hate OoTP, and HBP was disappointing in a lot of areas but I still enjoyed it for the most part. These final two movies garner the least amount of complaints for me, but there are still several things I would have like to have seen or not seen...As I said, I could complain all day about the films and what they screwed up. :D

ChelleC
07-25-2011, 02:29 AM
OH, and the fact that Bellatrix killed Sirius with Avada Kedavra before he fell through the veil. What was so tragic about the whole thing was that she didn't kill him, but that he fell through the veil alive and was unable to come back through. Wrong, wrong, wrong...:rolleyes:

I HATED that Bellatrix used Avada Kedavra on Sirius. Almost ruined the entire movie for me.

IceJunkie
07-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Re: Emma Watson being too pretty to play Hermione, well, yeah, in the end. But when she was 9 or 10? Yeah, she was cute, but like someone said I don't think you could have predicted one way or another. You basically knew she wasn't going to be ugly.

In all fairness Emma isn't a complete head-turner when she's not dolled up. Yes, you can see she's definitely hands-down beautiful, but more like in a "normal" not so Hollywood way if that makes sense. I prefer that kind of beauty anyway.

I actually think Rupert is the best of the trio, but he was never really had a lot to work with until Deathly Hallows. Dan was initially the weakest of the three, but he really worked at his craft and you can see it.

dbell1
07-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Really? Dan the weakest actor of the three? :confused: He was the only professional of the three. I honestly think any weak acting on his part on the first two movies can be tossed right back at Chris Columbus, who seemed to encourage stupid faces and mugging over decent acting.

michiruwater
07-25-2011, 05:01 AM
I thought Emma fared the best in the first two movies, Dan for the next few up until HPB, and then Emma again for the last three. She developed some irritating tics in the middle installments but luckily got rid of most of them by the end and really improved in the last two. I think Rupert got a lot better in HBP as well. Dan was just kind of there in that one, and in the last one they were all fine.

IceAlisa
07-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Finally saw it. Whew! I thought it was a great film, with the trio's acting having improved so much.

The few minor issues I had were: I agree with those who thought that the book death of V was more appropriate--he died like a mortal human being. The movie has him (and Bellatrix) disintegrate into dust and that de-emphasizes JKR's point of V being a mere mortal when stripped of his dark arts.

Second is really minor but it struck me: the little girl who played Lily had brown eyes that looked nothing like Dan's. So much revolves about Harry having his mother's eyes and they dropped the ball here. Oh well.

Agree that the kiss between Ron and Hermione didn't set any sparks flying or anything. It was pretty sterile. There was also a desperate effort to make Ron look less of a complete nincompoop and follower because he was a regular fount of last minute solutions and ideas all of a sudden. Le shrug.

The only time there was chemistry on screen was between Dan and Emma. And yeah, that hug before Harry goes off to the Forbidden Forest was quite protracted. I am willing to buy that David Yates is a secret H/Hr shipper. :lol: And that JKR didn't mind giving a nod or two to them either.

Alan Rickman wasn't as stellar in the death scene as I anticipated. I don't know why but I wasn't as moved as I thought I would be.

And yes, Bonnie is the definition of frumpy in the 19-years-later part. Them's some ugly orthopedic shoes she was wearing. The kid who played Albus Severus was spot on, however. He definitely looked like a Potter and was adorable in the way that Daniel Radcliffe was adorable at that age. Sniff.

I thought that Michael Gambon did a great job as DD at King's Cross. He finally struck just the right note as opposed to manhandling and roughing Harry up in the GoF, for instance.

Overall, a tremendous job and a worthy end to the series. It really is over now. :wuzrobbed until the DVD comes out, that is.

Also, I think I want to see it again in the theater. I can't seem to let it go. :P

ETA:

I actually thought OoTP was good except the glaring difference of making Cho the snitch for Dumbledore's Army (I didn't mind the change, it was that there was no explanation for her doing it).
I think it was done mostly for the sake of economy. They absolutely have to shorten, trim and condense many characters for the movie.

I HATED that Bellatrix used Avada Kedavra on Sirius. Almost ruined the entire movie for me.
See, Sirius' book death confused me. And still does: I don't think this veil thing was ever explicitly explained in books 6 and 7 as many had anticipated. I still don't get it entirely.

The movie version with Bellatrix AK'ing him first and then he just happened to be standing next to the veil makes more sense to me.

And here's another thought, not that it's terribly original: all the screenplay modifications and departures from the cannon were approved by JKR herself. I remember reading a while ago when the movie franchise just began that JKR was very possessive of the material and afraid of Hollywoodization of the Potterverse (that's a lot of made-up words in one sentence!). Therefore, her contract gave her complete control over the material. So if JKR was OK with the changes, well, she was OK with the changes.

Bostonfan
07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Second is really minor but it struck me: the little girl who played Lily had brown eyes that looked nothing like Dan's. So much revolves about Harry having his mother's eyes and they dropped the ball here. Oh well.

ITA! I forgot about that one. I remember thinking that the casting people didn't do a good job on that one. I mean how hard is it to send out a call looking for an actress that has eyes like Daniel Radcliffe? Definitely took me out of the story for a moment.

I also wished they had put in quick flashback to the scene from HBP of Draco disarming Dumbledore's wand. My brother, who hasn't read the books, was lost. When I explained it to him he said, how the hell is anyone supposed to remember that small fact from 2 movies ago? It would have cleared things up so much if they just took a few seconds while Harry is explaining it to show that moment again. Ah well.

kwanatic
07-25-2011, 02:10 PM
^^In regard to Harry's eyes...

They never got that right...not even with Dan. The book says Harry has green eyes but they never bothered with contacts. I get why they didn't do it with Dan as a child, but it's stuff like that that really bothers me. Like I said, it's always the little details. Speaking of eyes, Voldemort's were supposed to be snake-like and red. When he first comes back in GoF and opens his eyes, he has those snake-like eyes...but then they go normal. I get that the producers may have decided that red eyes may have been too scary, but it's supposed to be. He's effin' Voldemort! He's a scary dude!:lol:

IDK, I guess that's why we have the books...I've got a question: does anybody have their own version of the characters/places/etc. in their mind, or have the movies replaced what you used to see? For me, I see and hear my own versions of Harry, Ron and Hermione. My own Neville, Draco, Luna, Patils, Dean, Seamus, Ginny (thank God!), Fred & George, Lupin, Tonks, Bellatrix (though I do love HB-C as Bellatrix) ...most of the characters. But I have adopted the faces and voices for a few: particularly Hagrid, McGonagall and Richard Harris as Dumbledore (perfection IMO, DD personified). I like the voices for Snape and Voldemort, but I see my own characters. Thankfully, I've retained my image of most places (Hogsmeade, Three Broomsticks, the Gryffindor common room, Snape's classroom, the castle grounds, etc.) but a few have slipped in (the Dursley's, the Burrow, a few of the classrooms, Hagrid's hut). Other places turned out on film just as I imagined them (Harry's room, the great hall, the hospital wing, etc.). I made it a point to re-read the book before I saw the movies after PoA onward, just to re-affirm what I saw and not lose it to the movie version in addition to remembering what actually happened in the book. Nothing freaks me out more than to realize I'm citing what happened in the movie as opposed to what happened in the book:eek:. I'm happy to say, for the most part, I succeeded and that rarely ever happens.:P