PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

kwanatic
07-23-2011, 01:48 AM
^^ I enjoyed the romantic parts of the book and, honestly, would have loved a bit more of it. BUT I know that the romance wasn't the central part of the story so I was happy with what I got.

I don't really understand the Harry/Hermione shippers. Not once in the books can I point to an instance where I was like, "Hmm, I think Harry likes Hermione..." I never got that. I remember reading an interview with JK where she said she usually didn't bother browsing fan forums but one day she went into the forum and started reading and was completely shocked by all of the H/H shippers. :lol:

This is an excerpt from the 2005 Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview with Rowling around the time the sixth book came out:

JKR: How did you feel about the romance?

[Melissa puts her thumbs up and grins widely]

ES: We were hi-fiving the whole time.

JKR: [laughs] Yes! Good. I'm so glad.

MA: We were running back and forth between rooms yelling at each other.

ES: We thought it was clearer than ever that Harry and Ginny are an item and Ron and Hermione - although we think you made it painfully obvious in the first five books -

JKR: [points to herself and whispers] So do I!

ES: What was that?

JKR: [More loudly] Well. so do I! So do I!

[All laugh; Melissa doubles over, hysterical, and may have died.]

ES: Harry/Hermione shippers: delusional!

JKR: Well no, I'm not going to - Emerson, I am not going to say they're delusional! They are still valued members of my readership! I am not going to use the word delusional. I am however, going to say - now I am trusting both of you to do the spoiler thing when you write this up -

[More laughter]

JKR: I will say, that yes, I personally feel - well it's going to be clear once people have read Book 6. I mean, that's it. It's done, isn't it? We know. Yes, we do now know that it's Ron and Hermione. I do feel that I have dropped heavy -

[All crack up]

JKR: - hints. ANVIL-sized, actually, hints, prior to this point. I certainly think even if subtle clues hadn't been picked up by the end of Azkaban, that by the time we hit Krum in Goblet...

-----

MA: Watching all this, were you surprised when you first logged on and found this intense devotion to this thing that you knew was not going to happen?

JKR: Yes. Well, you see, I'm a relative newcomer to the world of shipping, because for a long time, I didn't go on the net and look up Harry Potter. A long time. Occasionally I had to, because there were weird news stories or something that I would have to go and check, because I was supposed to have said something I hadn't said. I had never gone and looked at fan sites, and then one day I did and oh - my - god. Five hours later or something, I get up from the computer shaking slightly [All laugh]. "What is going on?" And it was during that first mammoth session that I met the shippers, and it was a most extraordinary thing. I had no idea there was this huge underworld seething beneath me.

ES: She's putting it into a positive light!

JKR: Well I am, I am, but you know. I want to make it clear that delusional is your word and not mine! [Much laughter]

MA: You're making our lives a lot easier by laying it on the table -

JKR: Well I think anyone who is still shipping Harry/Hermione after this book -

ES: [whispered] Delusional!

JKR: Uh - no! But they need to go back and re-read, I think.

ES: Thank you.

JKR: Yeah.

If you've never read the interview, it was awesome:D. There are three parts and you can check it out on Mugglenet (http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml)here.

dbell1
07-23-2011, 04:10 AM
I loved that dance scene in DH1 - it showed Harry worried about her feelings with Ron gone and how the locket might affect the only friend he had left by his side.

What I hated was the total shortchanging of Dumbledore's funeral in HBP - completely unforgivable.

And :yawn: to Bonnie and whatever shoes she wears. :lol:

And I think if there were another Weasley sister, Harry might have married better. :P

my little pony
07-23-2011, 04:23 AM
And I think if there were another Weasley sister, Harry might have married better. :P

i think it would be awesome if he ended up with a weasley twin

FigureSpins
07-23-2011, 04:34 AM
But, then, shippers often don't rely on canon. I never questioned JKR's choices. HP was her creation and it is what it is. I'm always puzzled by people who think their personal version is somehow superior. I can't recreate Potterverse. I could create my own fictional universe, but it would be something different. I can't create something someone else made. This is one of the reasons I never read HP fan fiction.
When Fan Fiction is crap (see: Ron:Snape shippers), it has no impact, but when it's well-written, it takes on a life of its own and can be mistaken for canon. After the first book, there were tons of short stories about Harry & Hermione. The problem was that the readers often couldn't keep it separate from the real story, so they got lost in their own dream world.

I remember seeing several "spoilers" for HP that never came true, but were lifted from fan fiction writings.

It's like an alternate dimension, lol. That's one of the reasons I stopped reading fan fiction - the authors took too much liberty with the stories and caused a lot of confusion. Plus, many of the stories were crap anyway.

FigureSpins
07-23-2011, 04:44 AM
This is an excerpt from the 2005 Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview with Rowling around the time the sixth book came out:I remember that interview. Emerson really got off on being right, so much so that he mocked the H/H Shippers. I knew he was only a teenager himself, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I stopped checking out Mugglenet after reading his "Wall of Shame." Not because I was an H/H shipper, but just because the site was childish. I didn't like the atmosphere. As evidence, this was what he did after that infamous interview - he's really proud of it, so much so that he's had the page preserved through several server moves and site reorgs.

http://www.mugglenet.com/wallofshame-special.shtml

kwanatic
07-23-2011, 06:15 AM
http://www.mugglenet.com/wallofshame-special.shtml

That was freaking hilarious!!:rofl::rofl: I'd never seen that before....

Sometimes fans go a bit too far with the shipping. I mean, the petition that person started demanding that JKR change the story to the way they wanted it? Pure insanity. It's beyond ludicrous that they insisted that she wrote her story incorrectly...I find it ridiculously funny! :lol:

Like I said, I never got a Hr/H vibe at any point during the books and I agreed with Jo, she dropped some subtle and not-so subtle hints throughout the books, especially in regards to Ron and Hermione. I do think people tend to put their own spin on stuff, so if in your mind it's Harry and Hermione, you're going to be blind to anything that says otherwise. I think, just for fun, I might visit one of those sites and see what quotes from the books they've pulled to back up their theory. I'm all about corroborating claims...

The good news for Hr/H shippers is that the movies cater to them quite a bit, so they'll always have that to look back upon...but I am glad I was on the right ship that got to sail :shuffle:

rjblue
07-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Besides, the most romantic story S/L was tragedy personified.As an adult reading the books, this was the story that underlaid the whole series for me, and raised it above the other YA fiction that I've read and enjoyed. And I know that you don't like the movies, but I saw the first five movies before reading the series, and Alan Rickman's Snape contributed immeasurably to my love for the books. I can't imagine reading them without having the depth of character that he brought to life already in my mind.

~tapdancer~
07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I am an adult reader as well and I spent years in the shipping debate battles. I loved JKR's writing except for the romances which failed miserably, imo. I think the Snape/Lily story was the best thing she wrote and she could have written Harry/Hermione brilliantly if she wanted to. Their relationship was the next best thing.

As for mugglenet, I quit visiting that site when it became obvious that Emerson gave new meaning to arrogance and he definitely wasn't providing a site for all the HP fans. Too bad Jo couldn't see that or it didn't matter.

Happily the movies got it right. The directors and the screenwriters knew what they had in Dan and Emma and the H/Hr relationship was strong enough to support it. Yes it was embellished but as an H/Hr shipper I loved it. Also I didn't care at all what was or wasn't canon.

Thankfully we have some brilliant fanfic writers in the fandom.

algonquin
07-23-2011, 08:58 PM
The good news for Hr/H shippers is that the movies cater to them quite a bit, so they'll always have that to look back upon...but I am glad I was on the right ship that got to sail :shuffle::slinkaway Can someone explain this whole shippers thing.

Amy L
07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
relationship = ship. Shippers are people who follow a (fictional) relationship. And on the internet, it can get nasty. Shipper wars pretty much come with any big fandom.

algonquin
07-23-2011, 09:50 PM
relationship = ship. Shippers are people who follow a (fictional) relationship. And on the internet, it can get nasty. Shipper wars pretty much come with any big fandom.Thanks!

dbell1
07-23-2011, 10:21 PM
i think it would be awesome if he ended up with a weasley twin

:rofl: That would have been a fun house to be in!

LadyGray
07-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I never thought the relationships weren't clear in the books. I just thought they were poorly done and lacked romance and feeling. She just needed to get H & H attached to the Weasleys somehow. It probably would have been better written with more feeling if the Weasleys had adopted H & H. The romances are as romantic as a mail order bride catalog.

I am not totally on board with these relationships, either, for precisely the reasons you've noted, mlp.

Bostonfan
07-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Finally saw the movie today. I liked it, but it definitely felt like I had walked in halfway through a longer movie. I found myself wishing I had watched Pt 1 on Pay per view right before going to see Part 2. It was just jarring to jump right into Pt 2.

For the most part, I think they did a decent job of explaining the Hallows vs. Horcruxes, and the wandlore. If I had to choose one thing I didn't like the most, it was the fact that the final battle between Harry and Voldy took place in the courtyard without anyone present vs. the Great Hall with everyone present to see it. Also, the score felt off to me. It just didn't soar for me at the end like I hoped it would. I'm a sucker for grand music when victory has been achieved.

kwanatic
07-24-2011, 03:38 AM
^^I really hated that they took the battle outside to the courtyard as well. For movie purposes (ie. visual effects) they did the whole fly around Hogwarts and rolling in the air thing...I'll admit, it worked well enough. But I really wish the final match b/w Harry and Voldemort would have taken place in the great hall in front of everyone like it did in the book. There was something so awesome about the way Harry cut Voldemort down to size right in front of the entire school. By that time, Voldemort was nothing more than a man...actually, by then he was less than a man and Harry exposed him for what he was before finishing him off.

All of Harry's shining moments were cut from the movie unfortunately. I absolutely love the chapter "A Very Frosty Christmas" (I believe that's the name); it's the one where Scrimgeour visits Harry at the Burrow during Christmas. The conversation they had was one of my absolute favorite moments for Harry in the entire series...naturally, anything dealing with Scrimgeour was cut from the movie....