PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

nerdycool
07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Gamdon was horrible. Emma Watson was always too pretty for Hermione. She was part of the issue that arose with the Harry/Hermione shippers and their anger that Ginny was Harry's true love and that Hermione was Ron's. Although I agree that Emma Watson is too pretty to be Hermione, I don't get why some are so upset about it. When they first cast her, Emma was cute, but it was just an ordinary cute that kids seem to have. There was no way they could have predicted that she would grow up to look like she has. I mean, look at Matthew Lewis. He was the most unfortunate looking boy for the longest time, but it's only been recent that his physical looks have changed. He's now quite good-looking, and IMHO, one of the nicest surprises of DH II. None of us could have predicted that when he was first cast.

And on top of that, Hollywood just doesn't cast ugly young females. They just don't.

michiruwater
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree. There was no way they could have known that relatively cute 9-year-old Emma would grow up to be a bombshell.

I think they totally screwed Ginny up. I mean, she wasn't very well-developed in the books, but at least there you got a clear idea that she was vivacious, exceedingly pretty, charming, and funny. Bonnie Wright is reasonably attractive but really, for those, I would say the movies are 0 for 4. Bonnie did an interview a year or so ago where she said that she and Ginny were very much alike because Ginny is really shy and introverted and doesn't stand out in a crowd. I was wondering if she even read the books. Maybe Ginny is shy in the first two but after that she is definitely not shy.

Cachoo
07-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree that Ginny started out as someone who was somewhat introverted when she first met Harry but then became the Ginny the michiruwater described. Actors are replaced all the time but I guess the good thing about not replacing Bonnie is that she was a child and I can't imagine how she would feel being told the producers wanted "to go in a different direction." Or even worse..."you're not pretty, vivacious"...whatever; that you are simply not enough. Hard for an adult let alone a child.

rfisher
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
You could see Emma's beauty at age 9. I thought she was too pretty in the first film, not that Hermione was ugly. She just wasn't as pretty as Watson. I think the worst line they gave her was in PoA when she made the comment about her hair. Hermione would never have said something like that. :drama: The movies pretty much ignored all the other Weasley's except for Ron. :( If you hadn't read the books, you wouldn't have any real sense of them at all.

zippy
07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, for that matter I thought Dan Radcliffe wasn't small and scrawny enough to play Harry Potter in the early movies, since he was described in the books as knock-kneed, underfed by the Dursleys and small/skinny for his age. Sure, Emma Watson never quite looked like Hermione as described by the book (though there was the very occasional attempt to make her hair all bushy). Wasn't Hermione supposed to have buck teeth until GoF? Surely nobody expects the film to be a slave to the book's physical descriptions to that degree - more importantly, Emma was able to capture Hermione's bossiness and overall demeanor, at least as well as an inexperienced 10 (?) year old actress could, anyway.

I never really understood the need for a movie to be just like the book - why bother with a movie at all then? It's not replacing the book. The Harry Potter movies to me are just fun bonus additions to the book. Sometimes they get it close to the way it was in the book, sometimes they make it better (I didn't like everything Rowling did), and sometimes it's way off what I was hoping to see - but it doesn't really matter, because I still have the books and my imagination.

algonquin
07-22-2011, 12:18 AM
I never really understood the need for a movie to be just like the book - why bother with a movie at all then? It's not replacing the book. The Harry Potter movies to me are just fun bonus additions to the book. Sometimes they get it close to the way it was in the book, sometimes they make it better (I didn't like everything Rowling did), and sometimes it's way off what I was hoping to see - but it doesn't really matter, because I still have the books and my imagination.:respec: Exactly how I feel.

rfisher
07-22-2011, 12:29 AM
To each their own, but there was nothing in any of the movies I thought was better than what JRK did. Absolutely nothing.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Yes, the movie Ginny is unfortunate. Not only she doesn't come close to the book Ginny in terms of looks and charisma, Bonnie has zero chemistry with Daniel. Zip. Boys were falling left and right for the book Ginny. Bonnie just doesn't seem like that kind of girl.

I too noticed a long time ago that Emma's hair has been looking pretty good save for the first two films when they sort of tried to make it bushy. I've always thought that it had to be Emma herself who nixed the ugly hair look.

But the hair issue and Emma's prettiness never really bothered me because IMO she is the best actress of the three and her Hermione has been in turns precocious, adorable, snotty, mature, cute, brave, etc, etc, etc.

my little pony
07-22-2011, 03:44 AM
movie ginny always reminded me of the little match girl. she looked totally at home in the end, aged 20 yrs in awful shoes.

also, i never understood why fleur wasn't pretty. it doesn't matter much since the part is so small after GOF but i think even ginny grew up to be cuter.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Yes, Clémence Poésy is no Veela. I was disappointed with that casting choice.

Cachoo
07-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Well, for that matter I thought Dan Radcliffe wasn't small and scrawny enough to play Harry Potter in the early movies, since he was described in the books as knock-kneed, underfed by the Dursleys and small/skinny for his age. Sure, Emma Watson never quite looked like Hermione as described by the book (though there was the very occasional attempt to make her hair all bushy). Wasn't Hermione supposed to have buck teeth until GoF? Surely nobody expects the film to be a slave to the book's physical descriptions to that degree - more importantly, Emma was able to capture Hermione's bossiness and overall demeanor, at least as well as an inexperienced 10 (?) year old actress could, anyway.

I never really understood the need for a movie to be just like the book - why bother with a movie at all then? It's not replacing the book. The Harry Potter movies to me are just fun bonus additions to the book. Sometimes they get it close to the way it was in the book, sometimes they make it better (I didn't like everything Rowling did), and sometimes it's way off what I was hoping to see - but it doesn't really matter, because I still have the books and my imagination.

Though I thought the movies were good and POA was excellent there is a part of me that wishes they were never made. The picture I have of the characters in the book are the people who played them onscreen. But worse the picture of Hogwarts, Diagon Alley et al now match the movie. They did a good job but I can't remember how I imagined them now. My niece was 9when the first book came out and we read it together and just went to see the final movie together. What amazed me about the books was how they completely captivated me--a somewhat cynical adult. Once Harry left the Muggle world I was dazzled by Rowling's imagination and planning from book to book. I suspect I'll have to read them again one day to see if that "magic" is still there.

dbell1
07-22-2011, 04:33 AM
At the movies the other night, I looked over at my son. When he was 6, he was Harry Potter for Halloween. Book reports for school were always Harry. One year, the teacher actually banned the class from writing HP book reports. :lol: We called her a Slytherin. Our Maine Coon cat was nicknamed "Mrs. Norris". When the first DVD came out, we were all over the internet trying to figure out the trick to get into Diagion Alley.

My friend said she couldn't wait for the movie to start. I told her that it was the end. No more waiting in line for midnight book releases or seeing them with noses buried in the latest novel. For my son, it's no more teasing me aboutkeeping boxes of tissues next to the books.

I loved that James and Lily came back. Loved how Lily showed Petunia a flower budding in her hand as her magic. Loved seeing the Quidditch pitch on fire. Loved the Chamber of Secrets scene.

Minor quibble - I will say that I hated the characters being aged. Totally unbelievable. When they panned to Ron, my audience laughed. Big hair Ginny in pumps - really? :yikes:

my little pony
07-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Big hair Ginny in pumps - really? :yikes:

they were flats. ugly, ugly flats

i honed in on those bad shoes each time i saw it so far

Cachoo
07-22-2011, 05:22 AM
At the movies the other night, I looked over at my son. When he was 6, he was Harry Potter for Halloween. Book reports for school were always Harry. One year, the teacher actually banned the class from writing HP book reports. :lol: We called her a Slytherin. Our Maine Coon cat was nicknamed "Mrs. Norris". When the first DVD came out, we were all over the internet trying to figure out the trick to get into Diagion Alley.

I love all of that---particularly about the teacher and that the books had a part to play in your family. Back to that teacher: I wonder how many kids were reading for fun before Harry and after Harry. I'm sure she had her reasons but I still love the nickname.

michiruwater
07-22-2011, 05:26 AM
they were flats. ugly, ugly flats

i honed in on those bad shoes each time i saw it so far

At least she actually sort of looked aged 15-ish years. Emma looked about 5 years older, tops. And my audience laughed when the camera panned over to an overweight, dorky 20-year-older Ron. Dan's the only one who pulled that scene off.

But yeah, that was a very unfortunate outfit. I don't know why older = uglier.