PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

IceJunkie
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, I was totally expecting to cry and my best friend and I brought some kleenexes, but neither of us did. It happened too fast to cry!

I cried during the book, when Harry saw Snape's memories. But that was four years ago, so I've done my mourning. :lol:

dbell1
07-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Just back from seeing it. So good that we all walked out of the showing and right into the next showing. :lol:

First theater was quiet, not a lot of people. Incredible impact. Second theater was packed, lots of cheering and gasps.

Azkaban remains my favorite (I still worship Cuaron's "A Little Princess"), but this is going in at #2.

Loved so many little things in the movie. Quidditch pitch on fire, Snape's memories, Gringott's dragon, reentering the Chamber of Secrets, Ron's "That's my girlfriend!!" line, such good stuff. So many things saddened me. Mrs. Weasley's sobbing, Lupin and Tonks stretching out their hands and then you see them almost the same in the great hall. Loudest cheer was "NOT MY DAUGHTER". :respec: Oh, and Dame Maggie Smith, I salute you.

Very well done movie. Loved Dan Radcliffe in this one - amazing.

PS - I cried.

antmanb
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I loved it!

Cried plenty throughout. Really enjoyed the ramping up for battle with Maggie Smith. It took me hearing his voice to place Neville (!) he's really grown up in a short space of time. I can see the criticism of supporting roles getting very little air time and I did find myself annoyed at the elder wand being snapped and thrown off the bridge.

The epilogue, while coming off slightly better than the book, was still bum clenchingly embarrassing and got many groans and embarrassing laughs in the cinema.

Having watched it I think i'd like to watch it again (maybe in 3D this time).

I'd love for them to release an extended version giving more air time to the moment with Snape. I'd have gladly given up some of the battle scenes to have more time in that really important moment.

Out of interest - in the book do any of the Order (or other "good" characters) actually use the Avada Kadavra curse? Does Molly use it on Bellatrix in the book? Clearly in the film it's inteded to be so as it's got the green colour that is used for it. Just random thoughts coming out!

Skittl1321
07-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't recall ever actually 'hearing' any of the good characters say it, but when the 7 Harry's fly off, and he uses Expelliarimus again, he is lectured that the time for that has passed and you need to curse to kill, so clearly the OOtP is trying to kill Death Eaters, although since AK is illegal, maybe they are doing it some other way? (In that case, by making them fall off their broomsticks to their death?)

rfisher
07-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Molly doesn't say it, but then neither did Bellatrix when she killed Sirius.

JKR wrote the last scene with Voldy and Harry in a very specific way. Harry yelled at everybody to stand back because he knew only his/Draco's wand would defeat the Elder wand and he knew expelliarimus would work against Voldemort as a consequence. And the whole exploding Voldemort totally was counter to the point made in the book that Voldemort died like a normal wizard. Without the horcurxes, he wasn't that special and in fact was defeated by a simple spell. He was just dead. I really hated the exploding Bella and Voldy.

Cachoo
07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, since we're ranking them....

Prisoner of Azkaban - If only for the fact it was the most beautiful, whimsical film of the series. I wish Alfonso Cuaron would've directed them all.

Another vote for Cuaron directing the whole series: I liked everything about this film and I think the addition of some father figures in addition to A.D. (Sirius and Lupin) helped a lot.

My favorite book was Order of the Phoenix so the film was never going to measure up for me but I did not dislike it. There were moments that could have been better (like the Weasley twins final day at Hogwarts.)

I think I give Chris Columbus credit for working with mostly inexperienced young actors. To me it was natural as they grew into young adults the movies would become more dramatic and more interesting.

So how long before a Harry Potter reboot? :P

IceAlisa
07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
I have to say that while Daniel and Emma improved as actors as the series went on (especially Emma under good direction and by good I don't mean Yates), I can't say the same about Rupert. When I think of Ron, I picture the same exact face he wore starting the Sorcerer's Stone through about HBP: the fake incredulous expression with the eyebrows raised and eyes bugging out, saying "Bloody hell!"

May be Hermione was right when she said Ron had the emotional range of a tea spoon. :P

Azkaban remains my favorite (I still worship Cuaron's "A Little Princess"), but this is going in at #2.My introduction to Cuaron's work was Y Tu Mama Tambien. :shuffle: I loved that film (and learned some interesting expressions in Spanish :P). I was absolutely delighted when I found out Cuaron would do PoA. To quote JKR, "he really understands teenagers", wink wink. Gee, I wonder what movie she had in mind.

Cachoo
07-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I have to say that while Daniel and Emma improved as actors as the series went on (especially Emma under good direction and by good I don't mean Yates), I can't say the same about Rupert. When I think of Ron, I picture the same exact face he wore starting the Sorcerer's Stone through about HBP: the fake incredulous expression with the eyebrows raised and eyes bugging out, saying "Bloody hell!"

May be Hermione was right when she said Ron had the emotional range of a tea spoon. :P

My introduction to Cuaron's work was Y Tu Mama Tambien. :shuffle: I loved that film (and learned some interesting expressions in Spanish :P). I was absolutely delighted when I found out Cuaron would do PoA. To quote JKR, "he really understands teenagers", wink wink. Gee, I wonder what movie she had in mind.

If I could recast Ron and Ginny would be played by different actors. As for Cuaron it is a tribute to him that I did not like the book "Children of Men" but thoroughly enjoyed the film. How often does that happen? And I don't think POA was just the finest Potter film: I think one day it will be viewed as a classic.

nerdycool
07-21-2011, 05:30 PM
So how long before a Harry Potter reboot? :PI give it maybe 20 years, although my gut is telling me that even though some of the films were a let down, no one will be able to reproduce the success of this film franchise. Perhaps if BBC got a hold of it and made their fabulous mini-series out of it, it could do reasonably well. But again, it's way too soon for a reboot.

michiruwater
07-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I think it'll be a good while before a reboot, considering the expense, the excellent supporting cast, and the difficulty of finding young actors/actresses who will grow up once again to be as physically near-perfect and as good of actors as the three were this time around. I agree that Dan and Emma improved a lot more than Rupert, but I doubt they will have such luck as to find a Dan, Emma, and Rupert if they try again. Emma got the part when she was 9 years old. Besides, the only person I've consistently heard should have been cast differently is Ginny. That's the only one people seem to have a really huge issue with (though I agree that Tonks wasn't good, either, but she also had almost nothing to do in any of the films she was in).

dbell1
07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Add me to the 'not a fan of Ginny' gang. Maybe it was the lack of chemistry between Dan and Bonnie, but I was secretly hoping for her to get offed rather than Fred. :shuffle:

Cachoo
07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Well one day...hopefully many years from now...if they do reboot maybe Harry and Ginny will have improved chemistry and more of their story included. And I like the idea of a series rather than a film....just so much to tell. But for now cheers to all involved for pulling off such a fine set of films. And most of all thanks to Rowling for her incredible imagination. I am so envious and I hope this isn't the end.

attyfan
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
...Out of interest - in the book do any of the Order (or other "good" characters) actually use the Avada Kadavra curse? Does Molly use it on Bellatrix in the book? Clearly in the film it's inteded to be so as it's got the green colour that is used for it. Just random thoughts coming out!

IIRC, Snape used it (and he was an Order member, even if a debatably "good" character)

kwanatic
07-21-2011, 07:53 PM
YAY! If there's one thing I like talking about more than figure skating, it's Harry Potter! (and basketball, but that's neither here nor there...).

Okay, in regards to the Rupert comments, I have to say I disagree. To me, I find Rupert as capable as both Dan and Emma; he's a bit of an introvert. Dan, conversely, is an extrovert and Emma is a good balance of the two. Rupert's not that great with speaking, I agree with that, but there's an honesty about him that I adore. As far as his character, Ron was severely mistreated throughout the movies. Anyone who's read the books knows that Ron's character was so much more than what he was portrayed as in the movies. I hated that throughout the movies he was used as the plucky comic relief. Don't get me wrong, his comedic timing is awesome, but he's a better actor than that. I found his performance in Deathly Hallows Part 1 to be better than both Dan and Emma, mostly because he was able to actually act instead of hold up the comedy side of the film.

I ramble all of that to say, I like Rupert and I think he was an excellent Ron. I just wish Ron's character hadn't been reduced to what it was in the movies.

Now for Bonnie Wright as Ginny, I have to agree. Ginny is a cool-ass chick in the books but I just didn't care for her in the movies. I'm guessing it's because so much of her involvement in the story line was left out, but more than that I just thought she and Dan had zero chemistry on screen.

The casting I really took issue with was Michael Gambdon as Dumbledore. To me, Richard Harris was absolutely wonderful. It's so unfortunate that he passed away b/c he was perfect. Gambdon brought something different to Dumbledore in POA, but by the time Goblet of Fire came out I just couldn't stand him! He never wore Dumbledore's signature half-moon spectacles and his temperament was just not Dumbledore-esque at all. Gambdon admitted to never having read the books which meant he had no idea what his character was supposed to be like. So basically he was himself with a beard and glasses, no wait!, no glasses. :mad:

I also thought Pattison as Cedric Diggory was a joke but that's just me. Sorry but he is not remotely attractive IMO...:slinkaway

rfisher
07-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Gamdon was horrible. Emma Watson was always too pretty for Hermione. She was part of the issue that arose with the Harry/Hermione shippers and their anger that Ginny was Harry's true love and that Hermione was Ron's. It was clear in the books from the 2nd book forward that Ron/Herm were JKR's big plan and by default Harry had to end up with Ginny in order to become part of the Weasley family. Book Ginny was great. She was the female version of the Twins. I was always sad the movies left out so much of the twins humor. As I've said before I didn't mind as much when scenes had to be cut due to time, but it really annoyed me when they'd add a totally gratuitous scene that never happened in the books instead! It always jarred me completely out of the movie and cause me to start to mumble this sucks under my breath.