PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

michiruwater
07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Had a thought the other day - if Hogwarts was built a thousand years ago - or even five hundred years ago - were wizards that advanced that they had indoor plumbing? Otherwise when was the snake opening to the chamber of secrets in the bathroom built?

Prior to the introduction of modern flush toilets, most human waste disposal took place outdoors in outhouses or latrines. However, the ancient cities of the Indus Valley Civilization, e.g., Harappa[1] and Mohenjo-daro[2], which are located in present day India and Pakistan, had flush toilets attached to a sophisticated sewage system[3]—and other forms of toilets were used both in the time of the Romans and Egyptians as well.[4] Although a precursor to the modern flush toilet system was designed in 1596 by John Harington,[5] the toilet did not enter into widespread use until the late nineteenth century, when it was adopted in English upper class residences.[6]

It's all from the Wiki entry on toilets, which I went to because I knew that plumbing had existed in some ancient civilizations but couldn't remember which. Anyway, I doubt the original plumbing would have looked so modern, but it's possible that wizards have had plumbing longer than our modern folks if they didn't descend as far into the dark ages as we did. Or something like that.

KatieC
07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for looking that up michiruwater. I guess we'll agree that wizards in Great Britain were technologically advanced in sanitation. :lol:

If we're now talking about the collection of movies, one of the things I really missed was the opening pages where the Minister of Magic visited the P.M. It just gave a nice connection to the "real" world, that was sometimes missing from the movies. Although, perhaps some would argue that the connection was forged again with the strange beginning of the Half Blood Prince, which took place in a tube station. :confused: I never got the point of that one.

I myself felt movies 1 & 2 were closer to the books. Those that followed got darker and darker and while I agree that the books did too, somehow that never translated in my mind to the darkness portrayed in the later movies. I just felt the movies left a lot of the humour of the books out, and sometimes the more touching scenes, like Dudley's goodbye to Harry in DH 1.

IceAlisa
07-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Say what you will about the butchering of the Shrieking Shack reveal (a huge misstep) and Hermione's characterization, but I felt Alfonso Cuaron understood the world much better than any of the other directors (I thought it was also a wink to Cuaron when JK Rowling added a talking shrunken head in the 7th book) even if he and Kloves decided to take a drastic turn with the storytelling.

I disagree with their too-high rankings of OotP and GoF.

ITA that PoA is the best (although I haven't yet seen the last one). I didn't realize there is a talking shrunken head in Book 7. Anyone remember when and where? :eek: I felt like Cuaron really got it.

I would put Order of the Phoenix dead last, preceded by the Chamber of Secrets. Other than that I agree with Salon.

Skittl1321
07-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Those that followed got darker and darker and while I agree that the books did too, somehow that never translated in my mind to the darkness portrayed in the later movies.

Part of my problem with "darker and darker" wasn't subject matter- but light. I couldn't see anything in most of OOTP (maybe some of the others too...PoA?), so it was a pain to watch. One of the Chronicles of Narnia was like that too.

michiruwater
07-20-2011, 02:01 AM
I pretty much agree with Salon, but I think DH II was better than HBP. And COS is way, way below everything else.

vesperholly
07-20-2011, 02:02 AM
I felt like Cuaron really got it.

Agreed. The tone of the film and the cinematography were spot-on. Kudos to the studio for allowing him to take such liberties.

My second favorite is OotP. No Kloves screenplay meant no butchering of the characterizations, the music was fantastic, and the brilliant casting of Luna (though Tonks was horribly cast).

IceAlisa
07-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Luna was very well cast, I agree. Next weekend can't come soon enough!

FigureSpins
07-20-2011, 03:22 AM
ITA that PoA is the best (although I haven't yet seen the last one). I didn't realize there is a talking shrunken head in Book 7. Anyone remember when and where? :eek: I felt like Cuaron really got it.

I would put Order of the Phoenix dead last, preceded by the Chamber of Secrets. Other than that I agree with Salon.

Steve Kloves wrote all the screenplays EXCEPT OOTP. ITA that it was the worst movie of the set, imo.

I also agree that Cuaron really "got it" in PoA. I loved all the little touches - the busboy wiping the table that makes the butterbeer bottle disappear, the ferret foreshadowing, etc. That was a movie worth the price of IMAX. I think I watched it at least five times in various theaters, lol. I saw something new every single time!

VIETgrlTerifa
07-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Steve Kloves wrote all the screenplays EXCEPT OOTP. ITA that it was the worst movie of the set, imo.

I also agree that Cuaron really "got it" in PoA. I loved all the little touches - the busboy wiping the table that makes the butterbeer bottle disappear, the ferret foreshadowing, etc. That was a movie worth the price of IMAX. I think I watched it at least five times in various theaters, lol. I saw something new every single time!

Seriously. That film was full of magical nuances and subtlety and I loved the abundance of ghosts throughout the film. After this one, there were no ghosts whatsoever until Grey Lady in DH part 2. Cuaron has a true artist's eye. Again, it's a shame about the third act because that sort of mistake is why a lot of fans absolutely hated POA despite everything else it got right (that and SupergirlHermione!)

IceJunkie
07-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Well, since we're ranking them....

1. Deathly Hallows Part II - great acting from everyone, amazing special effects, a few good one-liners for comedic relief, a bit of romance, emotional level was through the roof. I WISH that the movie would've lasted 30 minutes longer because it felt rushed.
2. Prisoner of Azkaban - If only for the fact it was the most beautiful, whimsical film of the series. I wish Alfonso Cuaron would've directed them all.
3. Goblet of Fire - Yeah, they left out a ton, but I really enjoyed this film as a stand alone. We got to see Voldemort for the first time plus a great fight scene. Overall it was just a fun movie.
4. Sorcerer's Stone - A wonderful foundation and introduction to the rest of the series.
5. Half-Blood Prince - Overall the funniest movie. I absolutely hated it how there was little to no history to the Half-Blood Prince. His name wasn't even explained! It was a total WTF moment.
6. Deathly Hallows Part I - Everything was good and all, but too many plotholes and bland.
7. Order of the Phoenix - The most blah of the film. I did absolutely enjoy Umbridge though.
8. Chamber of Secrets - I'm not sure why I dislike this film so much. The kids were good, the plot was good. It just never did it for me.

IceAlisa
07-20-2011, 07:00 AM
I wish Alfonso Cuaron would've directed them all.
WORD!!!!!

MarieM
07-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I wish Cuaron would have stayed too.

rfisher
07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I wish HBO had done the series. They'd have done a better job. :P

Of course, millions and millions and millions of dollars wouldn't have been made, but the shows would have been sooooooo much better.

antmanb
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
We have our tickets to see this tonight at 9pm, in 2D. I can't wait!!!!!!!!

kwanatic
07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone!

For all of you Harry Potter fans on the forum, I'm just wondering what you thought of the movie. I'm so sad because now Harry Potter is officially over. After the 7th book, I wasn't completely distraught because there were still three movies left to go, but with Part 2 finally being released and everything said and done... I'm feeling pretty sad.

For the most part, I enjoyed the movie, which BTW is a rarity for me. I am first and foremost a fan of the books. The movies were an annoying but sometimes entertaining perk for me. BUT, this was probably the most satisfying movie I've seen since Goblet of Fire (I HATED Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince had a few redeeming qualities but, overall, was a disappointment, and Part 1 was just okay). I can honestly say there was much more that I liked as opposed to what I didn't like...which isn't usually the case.

Any thoughts?