PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

bek
07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I actually am not sure that Neville and Luna would work because I think that maybe Luna was a bit to "out there" for Neville. Neville strikes me as the more practical type even if he's into plants. The one thing about Neville is that They made it seem like he still came accross as a joke, in the last movie with LV laughing at him. But in the book, LV was actually impressed with Neville and wanted Neville to join him.

~tapdancer~
07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Saw the movie Friday, definitely the best one and a wonderful end to the movies. I wAs an H/Hr shipper and loved Dan and Emma's chemistry throughout all the movies. But I left the theater not thinking about the couplings, for me it was all about Snape's story and Alan Rickman's performance and the best of all, Dan's performance. Dan was just outstanding.

victoriaheidi
07-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I do feel the supporting cast gets screwed by these movies. Poor Ginny has almost no character development (or lines...) I read Helena Bonham Carter didn't want to come back after the first movie because the character was so unimportant, but JK assured her that Bellatrix was a major plot point. From what I've heard (haven't seen it, since my midnight show plans fell apart -grr- I probably won't, as a book purist I don't really enjoy the movies, I'm torn on whether or not to see this as "the last one") she doesn't have much to say in the last movie afterall.

I believe Ginny had three lines, and Bella had two.

vesperholly
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Later, he made Nagini into one (after killing Frank). At this point, Voldemort would think his soul was split in 7 (diary, cup, diadem, stone/ring, locket, Nagini, plus the piece of soul he has to himself) but it's really split into 8 (all that, plus Harry.)

Oh, I get it. :) thanks!

FigureSpins
07-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't think we know what he intended to use as the 6th horcrux, but we can assume something of Griffindor's.

He wanted Griffindor's Sword as his Horcrux for killing Harry as a baby. He had something from the other three founders of Hogwarts and Dumbledore says that the sword is the last relic of Godric Griffindor. Having a full set for horcruxes was very tempting to Tom Riddle.

Later, he made Nagini into one (after killing Frank).
I thought Nagini found him in Albania and he made her into a Horcrux after he killed Bertha Jorkins.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Nagini

Skittl1321
07-16-2011, 09:06 PM
He wanted Griffindor's Sword as his Horcrux for killing Harry as a baby. He had something from the other three founders of Hogwarts and Dumbledore says that the sword is the last relic of Godric Griffindor. Having a full set for horcruxes was very tempting to Tom Riddle.

I thought Nagini found him in Albania and he made her into a Horcrux after he killed Bertha Jorkins.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Nagini

Yes, he wanted the sword, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed he had it. Bertha makes sense...I think that is just as plausible as Frank, who nagini was also there when the murder took place. Berth though would have been sooner, and probably he would have wanted to get it done right away.

Yehudi
07-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I went to a matinee screening on Friday and it was packed. Heck, the lines to actually get in (and most people probably already bought theirs on Fandango) was considerably long. Now my thoughts

Alexandre Desplat's score was amazing.

Aberforth was not what I pictured. I was expecting him to look more like King Lear.

I wish they kept the final skirmish the way it was in the books, with the reinforcements from Hogsmeade and McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley dueling with voldy, while Hermione, Ginny, and Luna duel with Bellatrix. Also would have wanted to have seen Flitwick show some of his dueling skills

dramagrrl
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I really liked it. The kids who played young Severus and Lily were completely perfect, and the children in the epilogue were also super-adorable and had uncanny resemblance to their parents. I also liked that in the epilogue, adult Harry looked very much like James Potter.

I do think the movie could easily have been half an hour longer, though, or certain parts, such as the extended Gringotts scene and the scene with the Ghost of Ravenclaw could have been shortened to give more time to key scenes like Fred Weasley's death - he wuz robbed! :wuzrobbed: - and Molly Weasley's battle with Bellatrix. The Battle of Hogwarts in general was too short - it felt choppy and overly-condensed at the same time.

Also, Dumbledore and his Big Gay Love Story... um... I mean, his "friendship"/enmity with Grindelwald and the death of his sister, were totally robbed. The back story explained so much about Dumbledore and his motives throughout the story, and I think skipping it entirely was the wrong choice. What was the point of having Aberforth and Ariana in the movie at all if they were going to skip the story of their past? That being said, I think the King's Cross/"heaven" scene was the first time I felt Michael Gambon captured the whimsy and wisdom of Dumbledore as well as Richard Harris did in the first movies.

Professor McGonagall was one of my favourite characters in the series, and Maggie Smith played her so perfectly in the movies, so I was a bit upset that her big scenes also got cut from the movie. Minimizing the role of the Carrows and not giving them any lines meant that the scene in which Harry defends McGonagall against Amycus Carrow ended up cut. :( But she was better off than poor Prof. Trelawney - the Harry Potter franchise will probably go down as the only movie series that could possibly get away with hiring the great Emma Thompson and then giving her exactly one line in a 130 minute film!

I know the Ron/Hermione kiss had to happen differently from the book because the whole issue of the house elves was almost entirely cut from the movies, but I felt that putting it in the Chamber of Secrets made it both too abrupt and a bit anti-climactic. And it took the whole "Oy! There's a war going on!" comic relief bit out of the scene.

Alan Rickman acted the hell out of Snape's final scenes, but again, I felt he deserved at least another five minutes. I wanted to see more of the progress from Severus and Lily's childhood friendship to their teen years, and how her eventual love for James developed at the expense of her friendship with Severus and caused Snape's eventual bitterness and almost-turn to the dark side. What they did show would not have explained anything to people who hadn't carefully read the book. And they should have left that scene exactly as it was in the book - with Snape saying "Always" when asked if he still loved Lily - instead of following the confession with further instructions about Harry's eventual need to die in order to defeat Voldemort.

Finally, the Harry/Voldemort fight was... I don't even know what to say about it. First of all, I've never felt that the costuming and makeup given to Ralph Fiennes made Voldemort seem particularly scary, and never once in this movie did he seem like a real threat. Taking the fight outside Hogwarts and making them fight alone rather than in the midst of both dueling armies took away, for me, the whole notion of good vs. evil and the fate of the wizarding world being at stake. And then Voldemort turned into paper?! Seriously, that's what it looked like to me - Harry's final spell hit him, he burned into bits of paper, and then his ashes flew away. WTF??? Plus, Harry didn't even get to say the key line from the novel about the true difference between himself and Voldy not being the Elder Wand or who it will serve, but the idea of love and the willingness to protect and by protected by the ones you love. Without that line, it seems like Harry just happened to get lucky because Voldy was confused about the ownership of the Elder Wand.

All that being said, though, I really did think it was one of the better movies of the franchise - the Trio were great, Neville was amazing, and most of the supporting players got at least a few minutes of final glory. The soundtrack was awesome, and I totally cried through both Snape's final scenes and the Resurrection Stone scene.

I can't believe it's actually over.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else get super excited when we saw glimpses of Professor Sprout and Madame Pomfrey again?

FigureSpins
07-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Yes, he wanted the sword, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed he had it. Bertha makes sense...I think that is just as plausible as Frank, who nagini was also there when the murder took place. Berth though would have been sooner, and probably he would have wanted to get it done right away.
Voldemort never had a chance to get near the sword while Dumbledore was alive. Dumbledore replaced his office copy with a forgery before he died, so the sword Bellatrix put into her vault for use later was the fake. The intention was for Voldy to off Harry and then use his death to turn the sword into a Horcrux.

Did anyone else get super excited when we saw glimpses of Professor Sprout and Madame Pomfrey again?
No, not really. They were more like extras than characters. Ditto for Slughorn.

One of my DDs was disappointed - she had dressed as a very convincing Professor Trelawney for the Midnight show. She wanted to see the book scene where Trelawney uses her wand to send crystal balls flying as projectiles towards Voldemort's forces, but we didn't see it during the movie. She was hoping for some madcap boistering from Nanny McPhee, lol. We'll just have to see it for a third time, in 3D, lol.

I thought Aberforth's magical shield was awesome - he literally blew away the dementors and death eaters. It was a nice surprise because I wasn't expecting him to be that powerful.
My DDs said his patronus is a goat, but I didn't catch that imagery. I think they may have looked it up on the internet and thought they saw it on screen. I sort of explained the joke about Aberforth's goat problem without too much detail.

There was such a huge cast for this movie, it would have been really expensive and long to have every character say their lines from the books, so I guess they trimmed it down substantially.

I heard an interview from LeakyCon with Steve Kloves today. He wrote all the screenplays save OOTP. His favorite character is Hermione, much to my surprise. He feels her intelligence, strength and intuition made her the strongest and more powerful character. Very intriguing, imo.

dramagrrl
07-17-2011, 06:35 AM
I heard an interview from LeakyCon with Steve Kloves today. He wrote all the screenplays save OOTP. His favorite character is Hermione, much to my surprise. He feels her intelligence, strength and intuition made her the strongest and more powerful character. Very intriguing, imo.
I already knew this, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't find it surprising at all. Kloves has made his Hermione-love evident in all his screenplays by giving Emma Watson lines and screen time at the expense of other characters - I remember many Ron fans were up in arms at the way certain key lines said by Ron in the books were often given to Hermione in the movies.

Amy L
07-17-2011, 06:48 AM
I already knew this, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't find it surprising at all. Kloves has made his Hermione-love evident in all his screenplays by giving Emma Watson lines and screen time at the expense of other characters - I remember many Ron fans were up in arms at the way certain key lines said by Ron in the books were often given to Hermione in the movies.

Not just Ron, she's had Ginny lines as well. Then there's super!Hermione going all Buffy in POA, and in DH there were some moments that were sorta borderline (the dragon stuff!!). Hermione is very intelligent and very brave, but she has a tendency to get extremely stressed out and then totally melt-down. But it's okay, because it doesn't stop her from doing anything, . She cries a lot, but she gets sh!t done. Kloves turned her into even more of a superhero than Harry in some ways.

... And he's made Ron into both a moron AND a jerk in several instances that weren't in the book. :mad:

IceJunkie
07-17-2011, 08:25 AM
and in DH there were some moments that were sorta borderline (the drago stuff!!). Hermione is very intelligent and very brave, but she has a tendency to get extremely stressed out and then totally melt-down. But it's okay, because it doesn't stop her from doing anything, . She cries a lot, but she gets sh!t done. Kloves turned her into even more of a superhero than Harry in some ways.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought Hermione jumping onto the dragon was totally out of character. My first thought was wow, she's a BAMF! :lol: Then my second thought was...WTF? :confused:

reckless
07-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I saw it last night. I generally enjoyed it, but missed a lot of details from the book. I also really wanted to see Trelawney serving crystal balls and thought not showing any of the deaths, particularly Fred's was a big mistake. And I also regretted Harry's missing line about how his sacrifice in the forest provided the same protection to the Hogwarts fighters as his mother's death did for him. Not showing how the evil curses were failing LV and the Death Eaters struck me as odd.

And now my biggest complaint. At my theater, the 3D glasses were really dark which, coupled with the already dark lighting, made it somewhat hard to see the film. Frankly, except for one shot of the dementors in the skies surrounding Hogwarts, I did not find the 3D that great. I actually suspect I'll like the film better in 2D.

Not many people dressed up for our showing of the film, but at dinner afterward at the Cheesecake Factory, we saw a note-perfect Professor Trelawney having dinner with an equally perfect Delores Umbridge. I really wish I had taken photos.

Skittl1321
07-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Voldemort never had a chance to get near the sword while Dumbledore was alive. Dumbledore replaced his office copy with a forgery before he died, so the sword Bellatrix put into her vault for use later was the fake. The intention was for Voldy to off Harry and then use his death to turn the sword into a Horcrux.

I certainly didn't get that from the books, and have never seen anyone else online say that Voldemort intended to create another Horcrux after killing Harry now (certainly, after killing Baby Harry, that didn't work). Why would he create another one? After making Nagini a horcrux, he had, as far as he knew, split his soul into 7 pieces (though what he didn't know is he had split it into 8.)

If he had intended to make a horcrux out of it when he killed baby Harry, I don't think it would have worked on adult Harry- it was impregnanted with Basilisk venom which destroys horcruxes- can you make a horcrux out of something that destroys them?

I think he put it into the vault for safe keeping because, since he was very aware of the powerful magic and obviously knew quite a bit about horcruxes, he knew that a goblin-made sword which had killed a basilisk could destroy a horcrux. He was protecting (what he thought was) the sword as a means of protecting his horcruxes. By the time it was moved the Bellatrix's vault, he was aware that Harry/Dumbledore were going after them, I believe. If he doesn't have this motive, then it is likely the "collecting" bug that made him put it into Bellatrix's vault, but the reason she is so upset that Harry has gotten the sword out of the vault is because it means he has also had access to the cup (which at that time, he of course, has not. Her intense reaction to the idea of him being in her vault is what allows harry to figure out something is in there)