PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

MacMadame
07-16-2011, 04:11 AM
I always thought Harry/Ginny was too tidy.

But I thought Hermione and Ron were pretty must destined from day one. They fought like an old married couple and reminded me very much of how Mr. and Mrs. Weasley interacted. I think that was intentional too.

michiruwater
07-16-2011, 04:27 AM
I cried! I had the most amazing night. Since people tell me that I look like HBC, I dressed up in a full Bellatrix costume and ran around the lobby of the theater shouting, "I killed Sirius Black...I killed Sirius Black!" For some reason, the theaters weren't open until the very last minute (for the record, every screen in the complex but one played Harry Potter at midnight; one played it at 12:35; and several others played it again at 3 AM), so people were running around outside, singing from AVPM and taking photos with the people who were dressed up (my friend Natasha kept calling me a "celebrity" because people kept asking to take photos with me! :p).

Um, you didn't happen to be in theater 17 at Rave Cinemas in Ann Arbor, did you? Because there was a girl dressed up as Bellatrix doing that and at the end of the movie she and her friends all did the Mischief Managed thing as well with their wands. Funny how that is! (I see you're in SoCal).

I went to the midnight showing, of course. Cried my eyes out pretty much every time Snape was on screen. I thought it was all very well done.

vesperholly
07-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Skittl1231, I am also a book purist but still go see the last film. I think it is worth it and is definitely one of the better films.

My big problem: Was anyone else confused with the ending when Harry was or wasn't dead? Draco's mom leans over Harry and says something like "Is he dead, Draco, is he dead?" Was he hiding nearby, did he do something with the Resurrection stone? I should know as I read the book but I never re-read the last book so it has been a very long time. I vaguely remember the Malfoys redeeming themselves but can't remember details and the movie did not help me understand. I can only imagine how confusing that whole scene was for people who didn't read the books. They really never explain how or why Harry comes back to life.

Narcissa was asking Harry if Draco was dead. She knew Harry was alive, but decided not to reveal that if her son was alive. By killing Harry, Voldemort actually just killed the accidental horcrux in Harry.

(What never made sense to me is that there was all this stuff about Voldy creating 7 horcruxes ... which he did not actually do, since he didn't know that Harry was a horcrux and therefore he only intentionally made 6.)

manhn
07-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Ginny is way less annoying in the movies than in the books.

BrokenAnkle
07-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Just saw it and loved it. The scene with the Resurrection Stone in particular was so moving. We had a small crowd - we deliberately went to our small local theater, but the audience was really into it and you could hear sniffles during the sad parts. Someone at the end yelled "Mischief Managed!"

FigureSpins
07-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Didn't Rowling say the epilogue was one of the first things she wrote? I can believe it, as it doesn't show the same caliber of writing that she had developed by Book 7.
Oh this? ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5119836.stm

Yes she said she wrote the last chapter early on, but she also said that the last word of the last book was supposed to be "scar." Yet, when she actually WROTE that book, it wasn't the last word. She said it was "near the end" though.

She changed her original plans on a lot of things, such as Hagrid making it through to the end of the series. Assuming "scar" was a clue - was it in the epilogue or the chapter before, where the Wand's fate is revealed? I don't have the book, so I can't answer that myself.

(What never made sense to me is that there was all this stuff about Voldy creating 7 horcruxes ... which he did not actually do, since he didn't know that Harry was a horcrux and therefore he only intentionally made 6.)
But there were 7, even if Harry was the "Horcrux to be named later." Did one of the movie characters mention it before Snape bought the farm?

1. Tom Riddle's diary / Destroyed by Basilisk Fang
2. Peverell/Gaunt ring / Destroyed by Griffindor's Sword
3. The locket stolen by Regilus / Destroyed by Griffindor's Sword
4. Helga Hufflepuff's cup / Destroyed by Basilisk Fang
5. Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem / Destroyed by Fiendfyre in book, Fang&Fire in movie
6. Harry / Destroyed by Voldemort himself
7. Nagini / Destroyed by Griffindor's Sword

Score: Sword 3, Basilisk Fang 2/3, Voldy 1 :rofl: Griffindor FTW!

I think it's interesting that, in the movie, Harry says that Hermione already knows his curse and destiny. If I can wrestle a copy of HP7 from my kids, I want to re-read that chapter.

The resurrection stone was part of the animated story in HP 7.1 and it's recapped at the beginning, so it's purpose is explained. I agree that Narcissa's lines were confusing - my DH (who has never read the books) asked me what she wanted from Harry. He also didn't notice the almost-imperceptible nod of HP's head to say that Draco was still alive.

In the book, I thought the Resurrection Stone was still on the ring when Harry opens the Snitch. He drops it in the Woods later. Dropping it before the encounter with Voldy disconnected it from its intended story arc purpose and made it seem like it just brought the spirits of his parents, Remus and Sirius into view. Definitely not clear to non-canonites that it spared HP from death, although I didn't expect that in the book version, either.

One thing that confused me was whether Nagini was already a Horcrux (per the book) or if she was made into one after Voldy AK's the mouthy Deatheater in the movie. It wasn't really clear in the movie. I guess he couldn't AK Snape because he wasn't angry with him - death by snake attack also made for better 3D effects, I guess.

BigB08822
07-16-2011, 06:13 AM
The resurrection stone was part of the animated story in HP 7.1 and it's recapped at the beginning, so it's purpose is explained. I agree that Narcissa's lines were confusing - my DH (who has never read the books) asked me what she wanted from Harry. He also didn't notice the almost-imperceptible nod of HP's head to say that Draco was still alive.

I also didn't notice the nod of the head, so that explains even more. It all started when he dropped the stone which made me think it didn't save him which then confused me because my memories of the book were now being contradicted. Then I didn't understand what Mrs. Malfoy said, I thought she asked Draco if Harry was alive which made no sense because I didn't see Draco anywhere and finally I missed the nod of his head. I really flubbed that one up, haha!

FigureSpins
07-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Glad I could help. You're not alone - the filmakers dropped the ball on that one part of the storyline. I liked the camera work, although it's obvious that they filmed for 3D. There was a special featurette on a Hitchcock movie we rented last year. When he made "Dial "M" for Murder," it was intended for 3D and the narrator explained how he took a radically different approach from the typical directors' choices at the time. My kids made us sit down front for the 2D version last night, which put us really closer to the screen that we like. It was almost like watching the 360 movies at Epcot, like "Oh, Canada." You felt like you were flying when the camera panned and zoomed, even through the title letters.

Sirius XM is broadcasting live audio this weekend from Leaky Con, the Leaky Cauldron's HP fan fest. (Channel 141) They're at a hotel onsite at Universal Orlando. We listened to it for a while tonight, but the audio work is really poor. Melissa Anelli (nice person, btw) is really loud, two of the men's mikes aren't working right (or they're sharing) and the others are difficult to understand. It doesn't help that it's their typical podcast - random, filled with inside jokes and talking about themselves. DH made me to turn it off because they sounded like a bunch of silly children playing with a tape recorder. Sounds like Mugglenet, Leaky and the other HP fan sites are changing their direction towards charitable/environmental tasks and fundraising. They referred to Global Warming as "Voldemort's Horcrux." Even my teens thought that was lame. There are worse things they could be doing with their time and money, I suppose, and Anelli's a really honest person, although she is fiercely loyal to the franchise.

Amy L
07-16-2011, 06:31 AM
I think it's interesting that, in the movie, Harry says that Hermione already knows his curse and destiny. If I can wrestle a copy of HP7 from my kids, I want to re-read that chapter.

That part didn't happen. Here's the pertinent paragraph, after Snape's Memory:

"Ron and Hermione seemed a long way away, in a far-off country; he felt as though he had parted from them long ago. There would be no good-byes and no explanations, he was determined of that. This was a journey they could not take together, and the attempts they would make to stop him would waste valuable time."

Harry then proceeds to put on his Invisibility Cloak so that he could avoid Ron, Hermione, and later Ginny. But at one point he literally runs into Neville, and he tells him to make sure that Nagini is killed.

FigureSpins
07-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks - that's what I thought happened.

I liked the fact that Harry charged Neville with dispatching Nagini. In the movie, he tells his sidekicks and they relay it to Neville in an off-handed way. Six of one, half-dozen of the other. At least the movie didn't have Chang take out the snake, lol.

ETA: Wikipedia says the last line of the epilogue is "The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well."
I guess she did write the epilogue before the book. She thought about those pairings for that long, wow. Even more interesting:

"She has said that the last chapter of the book was written "in something like 1990", as part of her earliest work on the series.[20] Rowling also revealed she originally wrote the last words to be "something like: 'Only those who he loved could see his lightning scar'". Rowling changed this because she did not want people to think Voldemort would rise again and to say that Harry's mission was over."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows#Rowling_on_fi nishing_the_book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows

IceJunkie
07-16-2011, 08:11 AM
So I saw it last night. I went with a few old high school friends whom I have gone to HP midnight premieres with since the first film, so it was a bit emotional for us, now 21 and 22, to be going to the last together.

The first book came out when I was 8 or 9, and I read Deathly Hallows the summer after I graduated high school. Now, four years later I'm graduating from college in August so I really do feel like Harry Potter ending also symbolically represents the end of my childhood, or at least my adolescence. Its cheesy but true.

So I thought it was pretty great. Far and away the best of the series. I made the mistake of re-reading the book too close to the film, so I was obviously scrutinizing everything whereas with the other books I hadn't read them in many years, so I could just enjoy the film and not critique it. Still, this was a real treat.

Loved the Gringott's scene. Just exactly how I imagined it. I wish they would have gone into detail as to as to why Griphook wanted the sword...

The Harry/Voldemort fight was nothing like the book, which I honestly think makes for better cinema. There really wasn't much action in their final "duel" in the book.

I did feel the ending of the battle of Hogwarts it was a bit anticlimactic - which was good in some ways. It was a very fading, riding off into the sunset type ending.

The romance was a bit uneven. In the books Hermione and Ron were far more convincing as a couple than in the movies. I never thought Rupert and Emma had much romantic chemistry, though I think they were really able to pull it off in this film quite convincingly. Now...Harry/Ginny has always baffled me. Their romance was never really fully developed in the book and it was even worse in the films. Especially because, as pretty as Bonnie Wright is, it always came off like Daniel would rather be kissing a tree. I think it was always unintentional how much chemistry Dan and Emma had together, because there was never that much tension between their characters in the books.

That being said, the epilogue was one of the few scenes that were better in the movie than the book. Granted Hermione and Ginny aged about 9 years between them, and the boys looked awkward - it was still good to see. I thought it was horribly cheesy in the book, but this was far less so.

My favorite scene was Snape's memories. My only complaint is that they should have been longer. It was arguably the most important scene in the movie, so an extra 5 minutes could've been spared. This only cements my conviction that Snape is the best character in the series, IMO.

I was ticked that in the movie Hermione and Ron know Harry has to die. WTF? Especially weirder was Harry and Ron's "too macho to hug" eye glance.

What I love about midnight premieres is the enthusiasm. Neville got the biggest cheers, as did McGonagall's lines and Molly Weasley's "not my daughter, you bitch", Ron/Hermione's kiss, and a few others.

nerdycool
07-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I saw it tonight, and I loved it!

I agree that the movie epilogue was better than in the book. It didn't seem as though it was an afterthought and the make up was done really well. Loved how Albus Severus had Justin Bieber hair!

Loved Professor McGonagall stepping up for Harry against Snape, even to the point of taking the offensive. It was kind of a Yoda moment for me.

Alan Rickman did Snape's death justice, like we all hoped he would. I would have loved it to be a bit longer, but I can't complain because they gave him more time than I thought he'd get.

And as odd as it sounds, I didn't start to choke up until the very end of the final scene, when they played the original John Williams track used in the first movie and into the credits. They aren't on the DH II soundtrack, so it was unexpected, and it just made me feel as though it was saying goodbye.

vesperholly
07-16-2011, 10:10 AM
But there were 7, even if Harry was the "Horcrux to be named later." Did one of the movie characters mention it before Snape bought the farm?

Yes, there were 7. But Tom Riddle asks Slughorn if more than one horcrux can be made, say ... 7. And Dumbledore theorizes that Riddle wanted to make 7 because it was such a magical number. Perhaps it's splitting hairs, but I'm assuming that Voldemort made the horcruxes before going to kill the Potters, and since Harry is the seventh horcrux, it stands to reason that Voldemort only made 6 before that - so why would he stop there? Or maybe he thought he'd use Harry's death to make his final horcrux? *shrug*

and I think we can ditch the spoilers now, especially since we're discussing book minutiae ... :shuffle:

Skittl1321
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes, there were 7. But Tom Riddle asks Slughorn if more than one horcrux can be made, say ... 7. And Dumbledore theorizes that Riddle wanted to make 7 because it was such a magical number. Perhaps it's splitting hairs, but I'm assuming that Voldemort made the horcruxes before going to kill the Potters, and since Harry is the seventh horcrux, it stands to reason that Voldemort only made 6 before that - so why would he stop there? Or maybe he thought he'd use Harry's death to make his final horcrux? *shrug*

and I think we can ditch the spoilers now, especially since we're discussing book minutiae ... :shuffle:

I'm not using spoilers because I haven't seen the movie, this is just from the book.

I don't think Voldemort wanted to create 7 horcruxes, he wanted to split his soul into 7- one would stay in him, so 6 horcruxes.
Before his first destruction he had only made 5, he intended to make another after killing the Potter's, but didn't get to.
diary, cup, diadem, stone/ring, locket.
I don't think we know what he intended to use as the 6th horcrux, but we can assume something of Griffindor's.

I don't think Voldemort knew he made Harry a horcrux, and I don't think Dumbledore necessarily figured that out until later- they just knew there was a "connection". Dumbledore obviously caught on before the end, but I don't think Voldemort did. But when he killed the Potter's he unintentionally made Harry into a 6th Horcrux.

Later, he made Nagini into one (after killing Frank). At this point, Voldemort would think his soul was split in 7 (diary, cup, diadem, stone/ring, locket, Nagini, plus the piece of soul he has to himself) but it's really split into 8 (all that, plus Harry.)

Also- I definitely think the stone was off of the ring when Harry got it out of the snitch. Otherwise it seems to reason that someone would be able to find a ring in the woods in the future. The chance of someone finding a dropped stone is pretty much zilch. Harry seems confident it cannot be found.

IceAlisa
07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh goodness. I am reading these reviews and choking up. And I haven't even seen the movie yet. :wuzrobbed