PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

victoriaheidi
06-27-2011, 01:24 AM
^ :( The only good thing is that, if you're going alone, it'll be easier to get tickets!

FigureSpins
06-27-2011, 02:54 AM
We went to see Mr. Popper's Penguins tonight and were sad that the HP trailer wasn't playing. Great full-size standups in the lobby (3-sided, a different character on each) and a string of mini-posters across the popcorn stand. Youngest DD started nattering on about how she had to get started on her costume and she wants to be Rita Skeeter, but maybe bla bla bla. Child never stops talking.

Amy L
06-27-2011, 03:24 AM
I just ordered my ticket for the midnight showing. :cheer: I don't have anyone to go with yet, but at least the important part is done! I went to the midnight release for the book, so it seems like a nice way to end things.

jollibee
06-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Do you guys think that Pottermore is temporary like VMK or permanent? If permanent, how are they going to make :bribe: on it? I am sure it's super-expensive to design, set up and maintain.

^Re: bolded part. Here's an article that might help a little, it's a pretty interesting read about Rowling's marketing genius (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/jun/23/pottermore-jk-rowling-marketing-genius-harry-potter).

FigureSpins
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
The article is a bit cynical, imo. Okay, the eBook store on Pottermore will net the author and publishers more money, but the site with the information is allegedly free for the explorers and fans. (Hence IceAlisa's question.)

I could see some people buying eBooks, but the fans will be on the site far more to uncover the treasures than to purchase. They won't be buying a book everytime they check out the site.

The HP eBook sales will be somewhat higher as a result of the marketing campaign, but only if they execute the outreach campaigns and the Pottermore site well. Otherwise, more cynical fans will forget about it between now and October. Those who love their Kindles will still buy the books eventually.

Bostonfan
06-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm a Kindle user and I downloaded free PDF versions of the HP books back when I first bought the Kindle 2 years ago. :shuffle:

FigureSpins
06-27-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm a Kindle user and I downloaded free PDF versions of the HP books back when I first bought the Kindle 2 years ago. :shuffle:
I don't think JKR authorized any copies to be distributed electronically. Maybe your PDFs were bootleg copies. Not something I would brag about on an HP thread, lol.

Bostonfan
06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Well I did pay for the whole series in hardcover as they came out, so I don't feel the least bit bad about it. She got my money already. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for them a second time.

FigureSpins
06-28-2011, 04:11 AM
I hope the official online eBooks have some extras built in because I feel no need to buy an eReader. Special HP books would entice me to join the collective. Otherwise, I'll stick with the two full sets of hardcovers we already own.

rfisher
06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I did pay for the whole series in hardcover as they came out, so I don't feel the least bit bad about it. She got my money already. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for them a second time.

Amateur. I have two copies of the hardcover (the expensive leather bound still in the shrink wrap, and a reading copy) and all the books on CDs. It's not just the author that gets benefit from book sales you know. The publisher and all it's employees get paid. And if the publisher doesn't meet expenses, there are no more books to publish because they go out of business. And the bookseller and the printer and so on and so on. The author actually gets a small percentage (about 10-15%) of the sale price. Some authors get even less.

Bostonfan
06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I can't listen to people reading me a book. I've tried audio books. I have a visceral reaction to them the way some people do with eReaders. There's no explaining it.

FigureSpins
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't like being read to either, but the Harry Potter audio books are outstanding because of the talented narrator, Jim Dale.
(The original Barnum from the Broadway musical.)

His narration really brings another dimension to the stories and bits that were odd in the US versions suddenly make a lot more sense when he says them out loud. (I think it's the difference between US and UK english.) They're also much more funny. It's like listening to a good radio program rather than "being read to."

I've borrowed them from the library several times - the price point is a little too high for my budget.

I wonder what libraries will do once the HP eBooks are available? With the economy so poor, our library refuses to buy any suggested books. (Although I have noticed that they have the current best-sellers section up-to-date.)

rfisher
06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I love Jim Dale. Every time I relisten to the series, I hear something new. My only complaint is he changed the voice of Phineus Nigellus from OOTP for HBP and DH. I liked the OOTP voice much better.

FigureSpins
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Wasn't that because the headmaster changed?

Marge_Simpson
06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Phineas Nigellus was Sirius Black's great-great grandfather and a former headmaster of Hogwarts.
Dumbledore was the current headmaster until he was killed at the end of HBP, Snape replaced him in DH.