PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

FigureSpins
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
It's going to be an online "exploration" site, like Disney's "Virtual Magic Kingdom." It says that the players help build the world, which is what VMK was like. There will be things to read along the way, ala an encyclopedia, and I guess some of that will come from the players' interaction.

The e-reader connection is simply that the HP books will be available for purchase in that format for the first time.

JKR is repurposing all the extra content that she developed for the HP books, but never used. She's given out bits and pieces of that information on her personal website as rewards for exploring.

I was online when the site went live this morning and I tried to enter my email three times. Each one timed out, which bugs me. Then the servers crashed for a good amount of time and now the mailing list feature has been disabled.

The company that built/hosted the current Pottermore.com site failed, in my opinion.

CynicElle
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I was online when the site went live this morning and I tried to enter my email three times. Each one timed out, which bugs me. Then the servers crashed for a good amount of time and now the mailing list feature has been disabled.

The company that built/hosted the current Pottermore.com site failed, in my opinion.

Yeah, I couldn't get through to register either. Did they completely underestimate how much traffic the site would get?

Satellitegirl
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah I couldn't get through to put in my email, either. I imagine if we wait a few days it will be working again.

rfisher
06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
The blurb I saw on TV this morning said some of this wouldn't be available till October. Maybe that was the release of the original books as ebooks.

FigureSpins
06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
The maillist is an epic fail and I hope they won't use it to choose the beta testers since few people are able to signup.

There's a beta test for a million fans starting July 31st (HP's birthday) - I assume there will be another signup before then to be eligible.

The site launches in October for everyone else.

If they underestimated a simple mailing list signup, will their beta test and production sites be reliable? That remains to be seen.

Best write up is from The-Leaky-Cauldron.org, who can't say a thing wrong about anything JKR or HP. They're under a confundus charm, telling people to "chill out" about this morning's debacle. Easy for them to say, since they have reserved seats for anything JKR/HP. They don't have to sign up for the mailing list, lol.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2011/6/23/pottermore-announcement-details-on-j-k-rowlings-next-harry-potter-project

IceAlisa
06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I have no idea what the Disney's VMK is like and so am :confused: about Pottermore's purpose and use. Someone please enlighten me. :drama:

FigureSpins
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Magic_Kingdom

A fan created this website to explain what the original VMK looked like: http://www.vmkrevisited.com/

Some people have commented that pottermore looks more like the World of Warcraft site - the graphics and animation are more realistic.

Basically, you explore the world and can make changes. Instead of getting games to play (as in VMK), it sounds like pottermore will give you passages to read about the world of HP.

There's also a social interaction piece - you can "talk" to other players and communicate via keyboard to the community.

Lara
06-23-2011, 04:23 PM
The e-reader connection is simply that the HP books will be available for purchase in that format for the first time.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: I've been wanting that for ages!!! The hardcovers from book 5 on are too big to comfortably tote around. Glad JK relented.

IceAlisa
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the links, FigureSpins!

Oh great, I am already addicted to FSU, now I am going to get addicted to Pottermore? :yikes:

Do you guys think that Pottermore is temporary like VMK or permanent? If permanent, how are they going to make :bribe: on it? I am sure it's super-expensive to design, set up and maintain.

CynicElle
06-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I finally managed to sign up! :cheer:

Marge_Simpson
06-24-2011, 04:12 AM
me too!

FigureSpins
06-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Do you guys think that Pottermore is temporary like VMK or permanent? If permanent, how are they going to make :bribe: on it? I am sure it's super-expensive to design, set up and maintain.
I was surprised to see that it's free, per JKR. VMK was free for a while, then they started charging fees for it, which is when it went under. They had substantial moderation as well. Maybe that's a future plan.

star_gazer11
06-25-2011, 02:47 AM
If you are a HP fan and are in the NYC area, you might want to check out the exhibit at the Discovery Center. I went last month (you can laugh at me all you want!) and it is AMAZING.

http://harrypotterexhibition.com/

I'm not laughing. I also went when I was in NYC, bought a muggle shirt, and even ponied up :bribe: for the expensive but unique photoshopped pic of me standing in the Great Hall. :P

Tip: there's a $5 off coupon for admission to the Discovery Center in the nycgo Official Visitor's guide publication (free from the tourist centre on 7th, near the late 40s in the Times Square area). There's also a tourist centre on 53rd I never made it to, which I'd presume would carry the same selection of free brochures and maps. The $5 basically covers tax and the $1 facility fee.

I'm :cheer: that ebooks will finally be available!

victoriaheidi
06-25-2011, 05:47 AM
I'm going to the exhibit next month! I'm really excited to check it out.

Also, in LA, we have a store called Whimsic Alley, which is sort of a recreation of Diagon Alley. They sell TONS of stuff and hold frequent Potter-related events in their "Great Hall" and other places throughout the city.

rjblue
06-26-2011, 02:52 AM
I went to see Green Lantern tonight (it was okay) and was treated to the Deathly Hallows trailer. About halfway through I started getting chills, and by the end I was almost trembling with excitement and anticipation.

My daughter and I listened to Wrock music (http://wizardrock.org/)from her Ipod all the way home. The sad thing is that she is going to be at a summer French immersion camp for all of July, and I have no other Potter fans to go to the movie with. Going with my son and husband is going to be a bit disappointing.