PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

VIETgrlTerifa
06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Actually, in the books, it was never mentioned that the children wear uniforms, right? Just references to wearing robes unless it's just one of those things that was just understood since they go to school in Britain. I mean on the American and even British covers of the books, Harry is wearing plain clothes with a robe.

I don't mind the muggle clothing as there aren't really that many huge wizarding communities that I gather (apart from Hogsmeade) and many of the wizard families may live among muggles (even if not in that close proximity) so a lot of muggle culture would have seeped into the wizard one and possibly vice versa. I mean, they are mostly teenagers who won't want to wear what their parents wore.

As for the Death Eaters, I see your point, but maybe we can take it as an ironic twist to pure-blood ideology.

Theatregirl1122
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
When they made Dobby's death more of an afterthought, I knew much of the emotional content of the book would be lost to special effects.

I thought they totally oversold Dobby's death, actually.

Marge_Simpson
06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
The uniforms/robes vs Muggle clothing issue always confuses me. On one hand, there is the hysterical scene in Goblet of Fire at the World Cup, where wizards are being told how to dress in order to blend in as Muggles.
OTOH, in Order of the Phoenix, when Draco joins the Inquisitorial Squad, he takes points from Ron because his shirt in untucked.
So it's never been clear to me whether the kids wear Hogwarts robes alone, or robes over their regular clothes.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe there are pockets of wizards who are still culturally isolated from the muggle world and other wizards who live nearer muggle communities.

rfisher
06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
The books make it clear that adults wear robes unless they are specifically in a muggle environment. The kids wear robes at Hogwarts. That's also clear. They do not wear uniforms. School robes are plain black, plain black hats. All those scenes in Madam Malkins between Harry and Draco anyone??? They even had the death eaters sitting around the table at Malfoy manor while Charity was spinning in the air above them. Voldemort was in muggle clothing! This was a totally unnecessary change that to me is a fundamental change from the entire Potter universe. Harry hates his muggle clothing as they were all handmedowns from Dudley. Changing into his Hogwarts robes was his yearly transition from Privet Drive to Hogwarts.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Don't they wear anything under their robes though? I also remember a specific reference to Cornelius Fudge wearing the same exact outfit he wore in PoA. Of course, he's not a Death Eater. I need to reread the books again, but I do think that Rowling was making a statement when she made Dumbledore's purple robe attire seem out-of-fashion with the rest of the wizard world. Even McGonagall's huge witches' hat seems unusual as well.

Marge_Simpson
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
It's totally unclear to me if the kids wear clothes under their robes or not. In Philosopher's Stone, on the Hogwarts Express, Ron tells Hermione to leave the compartment so that he and Harry can get changed. If they were just pulling robes on over their clothes, why would she need to leave?
But in Goblet of Fire, it's specifically said that Harry, Ron, and Hermione all get changed in the same compartment. Which would imply that they have clothes on underneath.

I think JKR made a statement about Dumbledore's attire the very first time we saw him, when she described his "high-heeled, buckled boots" :)

Matryeshka
06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
MORE POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! Wheee! Here's the teaser website. (http://www.pottermore.com/) Here's the CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/17/pottermore.site.rowling/index.html) about it.

I hope this is about his life as an aurer, or even his kids at Hogwarts. Anyway, whatever "morepotter" means, if it means more Potter, it can't be bad :cheer2:

vesperholly
06-18-2011, 08:11 PM
And there was that scene (HBP?) with the Marauders teasing Snape and used Levicorpus on him. Snape was upside down with his robes over his head, and they teased him about his "dirty underpants".

VIETgrlTerifa
06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I was also a bit disappointed to not find out exactly how "dressrobes" would've looked like in the Goblet of Fire film since the girls ended up just wearing dresses.

Satellitegirl
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Possible Pottermore spoiler alert. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/pottermore-jk-rowling-website-mmorpg_n_882223.html
A leaked memo seems to point to an online game. I may get my wish!!!! I'd love for there to be an MMORPG or any sort of gaming online for Harry Potter fans :)

Satellitegirl
06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Ok, so it's a site to enhance the experience of the books. The video is on the site. That's cool. I'll be interested to see what all that entails. It opens in October...and you can get a chance to enter it early on the 31st of July.

Yehudi
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Ok, so it's a site to enhance the experience of the books. The video is on the site. That's cool. I'll be interested to see what all that entails. It opens in October...and you can get a chance to enter it early on the 31st of July.

I'm hoping it's an official potter wiki, with all the tidbits she's been keeping.

rfisher
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Announced today that it will be an ebook Harry Potter "adventure." I'm guessing it means something like a short story rather than an entire book. Guess this means I'll be buying an ereader.

Yehudi
06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Announced today that it will be an ebook Harry Potter "adventure." I'm guessing it means something like a short story rather than an entire book. Guess this means I'll be buying an ereader.

Here's the official announcement. It sounds like it's more than an ebook http://www.youtube.com/jkrowlingannounces/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=warner_bros&utm_campaign=announcement&utm_content=1x1&utm_term=announcement-warner_bros-1x1-us