PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

vesperholly
06-15-2011, 07:34 PM
mild spoiler I know Snape's death does not take place in the Shrieking Shack in the film. I think they made a new location. Annoying, but if you think back to film 3 where they also ditched the Shrieking Shack, it kind of makes sense. I really hope they get Snape's death right, though

When in film 3 did they ditch the Shrieking Shack? They spent a good bit in there with Snape, Pettigrew and Lupin, though not enough to completely explain the foursome.

genevieve
06-15-2011, 08:34 PM
oops, it's been a while since I've seen that film. But didn't they make big changes to the end of the book that was supposed to be in the SS? In my (admittedly dim) memory the whole SS ending got changed, but to be honest that may be more from reading other fan protests than my own recollection :shuffle:

IceAlisa
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
What do you mean? What changes? :confused:

MLIS
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't remember any big changes to the Shrieking Shack scene from the book, but they left out the entire explanation of who created the marauder's map and who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were, and the importance of their relationships to each other, and to Snape.

IceAlisa
06-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't remember any big changes to the Shrieking Shack scene from the book, but they left out the entire explanation of who created the marauder's map and who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were, and the importance of their relationships to each other, and to Snape.

Yes, that I remember as well. It must have confused the hell out of those who hadn't read the book.

nerdycool
06-15-2011, 09:20 PM
I think that most of the changes I've heard are relatively minor. The one that genevieve posted is one of them. After all, where Snape's death occurred in the book isn't terribly important in the grand scheme of things. As long as they give it all the attention his death scene needs, that's all I ask for. And as far as I'm concerned, the SS is only important in PoA, so it's just one of those things that will be alright to be overlooked. I'm sure there will be other things they changed that I will be more upset about.

KatieC
06-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I just re-watched DH part 1 the other night and noticed they didn't put the portrait in Hermiones' bag, so how does the sword get into the pond at the right time? And it always drove me nuts that they didn't mention the significance of Harry's Patronis being a stag.

And the previews I've seen keep showing Harry and Voldemort seeming to fall of a cliff or tall building but I can't remember any time that happened.

IceJunkie
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I just re-watched DH part 1 the other night and noticed they didn't put the portrait in Hermiones' bag, so how does the sword get into the pond at the right time? And it always drove me nuts that they didn't mention the significance of Harry's Patronis being a stag.

I noticed that too, but I also noticed Harry was looking at the mirror shard just before he saw the patronus. So I'm guessing Snape saw where they were and cast it?

Autumm_wind
06-15-2011, 10:02 PM
It must have confused the hell out of those who hadn't read the book.

I've heard this quite a lot. However, as a someone who saw Prisoner of Azkaban as their first HP movie and didn't read the books beforehand, I can say I wasn't confused at all.

I wasn't even confused by Harry's patronus. I thought he saw a figure (since I thought I saw a figure :lol:) on the stag and therefore understood why he thought he saw his father.

After reading the books, the part I trully miss being omitted from the film, is Snape going absolutely mental after learning about Sirius' escape. :EVILLE: Given the way Alan Rickman has portrayed Snape, I can't see him playing it the way I imagined it in my mind, though.

Yes, my post is completely off topic. Bear with me, I read the books long after after the book discussions had taken place. :lol:

Artemis@BC
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
I think that most of the changes I've heard are relatively minor. The one that genevieve posted is one of them. After all, where Snape's death occurred in the book isn't terribly important in the grand scheme of things. As long as they give it all the attention his death scene needs, that's all I ask for. And as far as I'm concerned, the SS is only important in PoA, so it's just one of those things that will be alright to be overlooked.

ITA. I've said it before and I'll say it again: what works in a book isn't necessarily the best choice for a film, and vice versa. I actually don't want the films to be slavishly adherent to every detail of the books -- what would be the point in that? I have my own imagination for that. For the most part, I've found the "changes" for the films to make a lot of cinematic sense.

But I have deliberately put off re-reading Deathly Hallows until after I've seen the final movie so that I am not tempted to make comparisons!

rfisher
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I noticed that too, but I also noticed Harry was looking at the mirror shard just before he saw the patronus. So I'm guessing Snape saw where they were and cast it?

Except Aberforth has the other mirror not Snape. He never knew about it.

I've read or listened to the audio books about 10 times. I can spot a change before it hits the screen and it always annoys me. I was OK with DH part 1. I'll be cursing the film if they significantly change part 2

genevieve
06-15-2011, 10:56 PM
But I have deliberately put off re-reading Deathly Hallows until after I've seen the final movie so that I am not tempted to make comparisons!
Good plan - I re-read Book 5 right before seeing the movie and I noticed every freakin detail that wasn't exactly right :lol: whereas the other films I only noticed big honking changes (like the unnecessary choir break in...Film 4?) and was more able to enjoy the films as films instead of staged readings of the books.

I think for the finale I want to go back and watch films 5, 6, and 7.1 instead of reading the books (which I'll probably want to do again after I see the final film :P)

IceJunkie
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Except Aberforth has the other mirror not Snape. He never knew about it.

I've read or listened to the audio books about 10 times. I can spot a change before it hits the screen and it always annoys me. I was OK with DH part 1. I'll be cursing the film if they significantly change part 2

True...but could Aberforth have told Snape, or perhaps he told Dumbledore's portrait, who then told Snape?. I'm grasping at straws here. Clearly this is going to be something the film changes up, which I'm OK with as long as it makes sense in the end.

rfisher
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
True...but could Aberforth have told Snape, or perhaps he told Dumbledore's portrait, who then told Snape?. I'm grasping at straws here. Clearly this is going to be something the film changes up, which I'm OK with as long as it makes sense in the end.

except nobody knows Snapes true purpose, especially Aberforth, and the portrait is in Dumbledor's office which Aberforth would have no access to. It would be a total character change for Snape to keep something that belonged to Sirius even to help Harry. One of the things that makes the character so complex is even though he's committed to saving Harry's life, he really doesn't like him because of James and later Sirius. He's only doing it because of his love for Lily. Remember, he told Voldemort to kill Harry and James if need be but to spare Lily.

I think JKR's most fascinating part of the whole HP series is her characterization of Snape. Miserable childhood but no more so than Harry's. Bullied by Harry's father, but befriended by his mother. He's mean and nasty to the core and is pure Slytherin except that he's not the typical Slytherin coward and had the courage of a Griffindore. JKR always said he wasn't nearly as sexy as Alan Richman and that she sometimes felt fans confused them. Snape was a bitter, nasty piece of work who faced up to his own part in the death of the only person he ever loved or who had ever been his real friend. AR, IMHO, was the most brilliant casting of any character including the trio to have actually made the character appealing without changing the nature. Unlike Michael Gambon, who was horrible as Dumbledore.

victoriaheidi
06-16-2011, 02:07 AM
And the previews I've seen keep showing Harry and Voldemort seeming to fall of a cliff or tall building but I can't remember any time that happened.

The first thing my sister said when the trailer premiered was, "wait, when did that happen?" My mom basically echoed the same sentiment.

The dialogue-or something very close to that dialogue-was for sure in the book, but I don't remember the cliff part.