PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

IceAlisa
11-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Can someone please buy Roger Ebert a set of HP books?

Yes, he admits that:

I make it a custom to avoid becoming expert on the endless characters and plot strands of series movies. Life is too short to become an authority on all of the movies about James Bond, "The Lord of the Rings" and so on. I'm sure students of Harry Potter will comprehend "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" better than I was able to. They'll see a character and recall scenes from a movie made seven years ago. For me, its more about the immediate experience. The important thing is that the characters know what's happening. At least by the end, anyway.

However, he clearly took his ignorance of the series to a level that precludes competent critique:

This isolation serves two purposes. It helps conceal them from Voldemort. Especially after Ron Weasley seems to live up to his name and weasel out, it allows Harry and Hermione to become closer friends than ever, confidants, and even, yes, in love. They share a kiss so chaste that passion seems a stranger to them; they might as well be observing a formal ritual. And they are nude, or almost nude, as they stand close to each other and ghostly CGI mists obscure all the naughty bits as efficiently as fig leaves.

It seems the fact that the kiss between Harry and Hermione is an illusion produced by the Horcrux to exploit Ron's insecurities, has completely eluded Mr. Ebert. The whole scene had a very deliberate and obvious look of unreality, especially since the real Harry is right there on the ground, knocked off his feet by the blast out of the locket.

So, if you are that lost about what's going on, why even bother reviewing? I understand he is quite ill and is still willing to work, which is commendable and courageous but I don't see the point of this review.

Here's a reviewer who "gets" it IMO:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20442850,00.html

Bostonfan
11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Finally saw the movie this weekend. I think it hit most of the highlights in the book pretty well. It definitely captured the aimlessness and frustrating pace that the 1st part of the book exudes. I was prepared for it. Those that haven't read the book probably were disappointed by the lack of forward momentum. The payoff for them will be the last part this summer.

I was OK with not seeing the Dursley goodbye scene, or hearing the pirated radio broadcast, or Lupin's brief attempt to leave Tonks and go with Harry. They definitely gave a sense of isolation to the 3 protagonists.

I wish we had seen a little more of Kreacher's story. They skipped over Harry finding a have torn letter by his mother. But I get why they didn't.

I liked the illustration of the Deathly Hallows. Although I do wish the taking of Draco's wand was written as it was in the book. There's was no reason to alter it. Also, not explaining Dumbledore's role in how he got the elder wand was a missed opportunity. I'm OK if they didn't want to delve into the backstory of his sister and plans to dominate Muggles. But they could have explained how he defeated the other Wizard (I forget his name) and got the wand in the first place.

All in all, it was a 2 1/2 hour set-up for the Part 2. I came away from it having enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part 2. Mission accomplished!

rfisher
11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
For me, Dumbledore's backstory was the absolute best part of DH. I think JKR did some of her best writing with that and making DD a flawed hero was excellent. Sort of like Snape is a very flawed and reluctant hero. JKR has clearly written each book since GOF with a movie in mind and included a dramatic movie scene. In DH it will be the dragon flight out of Gringotts and of course the battle for Hogwarts which, sadly, will get the most attention and all the subtle character reveals will be lost. I truly pity those who don't read the books.

FigureSpins
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I think Roger Ebert is very ill, having just lost his voice box (and more likely, career) to cancer, so I would cut him some slack on his misguided impressions of the movie. I'm sure he'll be taken to task for it, but not by me. Hope he doesn't lose his job over the error.

I wish they had shown more of Neville. While he's not my favorite character, I appreciated his growth from the forgetful little ninny to a full-out warrior and leader in the 7th book. Hopefully, that will come out in 7.2.

I'm okay with leaving out Lupin's misguided attempt to run away from his own problems. I never liked that concept - it just seemed wacky and out of character for a second-term member of the Order of the Phoenix.

I think that 7.2 will include the Dumbledore backstory, perhaps even Voldy's backstory, which was just as important in explaining why he's so evil. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

AYS
11-29-2010, 03:00 PM
I thought the illustration of the Deathly Hallows story was brilliant, loved it!

skatemomaz
04-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Trailer part II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcf6cwr9TnY&feature=player_embedded)

whoa! :watch:

MikiAndoFan#1
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Trailer part II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcf6cwr9TnY&feature=player_embedded)

whoa! :watch:

Oh my God, it looks amazing! :cheer2:

Yehudi
04-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh my God, it looks amazing! :cheer2:

Can we discuss book spoilers here? I honestly don't remember Harry dragging Voldy off a tall building

Gil-Galad
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
So excited!!! Can it be July already??? :dog:

rfisher
04-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Can we discuss book spoilers here? I honestly don't remember Harry dragging Voldy off a tall building

He didn't.

Gil-Galad
04-28-2011, 12:06 PM
He didn't.

No, he certainly didn't. But I have already made my peace with the fact that HP7.2 will be all about the action and ka-boom, and not so much about the emotional intensity (like HP7.1). They will change some stuff in order to make that happen.

I will be very happy if we see more of Tonks&Lupin during the battle, I found their death in the book very unsatisfactory, because we just didn't see / learn anything about it.

Bostonfan
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I see that they've left in Molly Weasley's battle with Beatrix (sp?)

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I liked Part 1 for many of the reasons others didn't (too meandering and slow), but I'm ready to strap in for the action-packed end.

rjblue
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I noticed that scene that didn't happen too. But it still looks awesome. They might have to do a slightly less disturbing take on the interaction between Voldemort and Harry.

IceAlisa
04-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that nose dive was weird. But otherwise, I am excited and sad at the same time.

agalisgv
04-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I hate 3D--I hope they show it in both formats so people can choose.