PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

vesperholly
11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't think she meant it literally.... but Hedwig's Theme and Home Alone Theme are similar enough in feeling and instrumentation that one can tell right away that they had the same composer. And that said composer just rearranged some things and voila! A new song without too much work!

Hedwig's Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhL2HRAVKZs)
Home Alone Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUeK1PP7-s)

Psh ... they're clearly by the same composer, but I don't think they're recycled at all. Hedwig's Theme is perfection in score: beautiful, evocative, unique, instantly recognizable. John Williams at his best.

If you want to talk recycled music, James Horner is your man.

My question is this: how come Harry thinks of asking the Horcrux locket to open in Parseltongue only after Ron gets the sword? How come before he was just trying to incinerate it and cause a forest fire?

Here's the relevant portion:

"How are you going to open it? asked Ron. He looked terrified.

"I'm going to ask it to open, using Parseltongue," said Harry. The answer came so readily to his lips that he thought that he had always known it deep down. Perhaps it had been his recent encounter with Nagini to make him realize it.

IceAlisa
11-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks, vesperholly! I am in awe of the FSUers' commitment to the text. :respec:

Ajax
11-24-2010, 01:07 AM
I saw the movie this weekend and absolutely loved it. Deathly Hallows is my favorite of the books so I had high expectations and the movie met almost all of them. I was very impressed by the Trio's acting and thought the relationships between them were captured perfectly.

Two things I was sad that they left out: One is Kreacher's Tale, which I love for the way it shows how Hermione's SPEW ideals, so long made fun of, actually have so much merit. I understand though why this was left out because as long as the Trio get the locket it doesn't really serve the plot much. The other thing is a couple of tiny snapshots from the Godric's Hollow chapter. One is when Harry looks at his parents' graves and there flashes a hologram of the Potter family, and the other is when he arrives at the Potter house and sees all the messages of encouragement people have left for him in the hopes that he's still out there fighting against Voldemort. It's a tiny thing but I always thought that was such a lovely moment in the book.

I was surprised to see so many critics complain that the movie feels unfinished- well, duh. The camping parts in the book have this incredible aura of sadness, frustration and hopelessness that haunted me for weeks after I first read the book and I think the movie captured this perfectly, and for that I am planning to rewatch it very soon :)

IceAlisa
11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
I was surprised to see so many critics complain that the movie feels unfinished- well, duh. The camping parts in the book have this incredible aura of sadness, frustration and hopelessness that haunted me for weeks after I first read the book and I think the movie captured this perfectly, and for that I am planning to rewatch it very soon :)

Absolutely agree with all of this. The critics' mantra "it doesn't stand on its own, it's unfinished" is really getting old. :violin:

VIETgrlTerifa
11-24-2010, 01:48 AM
It's also stupid.

pollyanna
11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
It's also stupid.

Don't they remember Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or Back to the Future Part 2?

Amy L
11-24-2010, 02:51 AM
This week's Newsweek review is :blah: The reviewer complained about Harry and Hermione looking tired during their dancing scene (oh REALLY??? Why would they ever be TIRED from living in a tent and running away from Nazi-ish assassins and having their best friend leave them?) Then it went on to praise Twilight for being a guilty pleasure with cute werewolves. I just... woah. :lynch:

AshleyN
11-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Just got back, and wow. That was easily the best film in the series. It was the first time one of films actually came close to capturing the magic of the books for me.

Two things I was sad that they left out: One is Kreacher's Tale, which I love for the way it shows how Hermione's SPEW ideals, so long made fun of, actually have so much merit. I understand though why this was left out because as long as the Trio get the locket it doesn't really serve the plot much. The other thing is a couple of tiny snapshots from the Godric's Hollow chapter. One is when Harry looks at his parents' graves and there flashes a hologram of the Potter family, and the other is when he arrives at the Potter house and sees all the messages of encouragement people have left for him in the hopes that he's still out there fighting against Voldemort. It's a tiny thing but I always thought that was such a lovely moment in the book.
If there's one thing they cut from the movie I really wish they could have included, I think that would be it. Like you said, it's a small scene, but it really is wonderful, particularly since it comes at quite possibly Harry's lowest moment is the series.

Satellitegirl
11-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Glad you liked it :)

Yeah the critics are really being dumb. I've heard plenty of people say they liked it though :) I think it'll be one that grows on those who don't like it as much now, as well.

IceAlisa
11-24-2010, 05:43 AM
This week's Newsweek review is :blah: The reviewer complained about Harry and Hermione looking tired during their dancing scene (oh REALLY??? Why would they ever be TIRED from living in a tent and running away from Nazi-ish assassins and having their best friend leave them?) Then it went on to praise Twilight for being a guilty pleasure with cute werewolves. I just... woah. :lynch:

:scream: Clearly off their rocker.

manleywoman
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
This week's Newsweek review is :blah: The reviewer complained about Harry and Hermione looking tired during their dancing scene (oh REALLY??? Why would they ever be TIRED from living in a tent and running away from Nazi-ish assassins and having their best friend leave them?)

I once read a review of Lord of the Rings in the Washington Post. The reviewer, Steven something, actually asked why Viggo Mortenson's character had such stringy, dirty hair during the whole movie, and couldn't he just once have taken a shower with some shampoo. :wall: Um, because he's camping, getting in bloody battles and chasing orks?

IceAlisa
11-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Well, I'll be. Turns out Alexandre Desplat, the composer for the movie has written the very lovely and haunting River Waltz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urci4i9zX6M) from the movie The Painted Veil. I guess he is talented after all. Has anyone skated to this? Sorry for the thread drift. :shuffle:

literaryfreak
11-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Well, I'll be. Turns out Alexandre Desplat, the composer for the movie has written the very lovely and haunting River Waltz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urci4i9zX6M) from the movie The Painted Veil. I guess he is talented after all. Has anyone skated to this? Sorry for the thread drift. :shuffle:

I know Jeremy Abbott has used it in his LP. I can't remember what year, maybe 2008. It's the one where he looks like a vampire. :D

Yehudi
11-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Random thoughts:

That lead Snatcher who sort of looks like he came straight out of an Adam Ant video:swoon:

Xeno Lovegood looks like Lucius Malfoy's deranged twin.

After spending all spring seeing David O'Hara as Lord Surrey, it's a little jarring to see him playing a Harry pretending to be Runcorn.

Theatregirl1122
11-26-2010, 02:34 AM
That lead Snatcher who sort of looks like he came straight out of an Adam Ant video:swoon:

Personally I called him Billie Jo Armstrong the wizard.