PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

VIETgrlTerifa
11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
No problem. :)

I am completely enchanted by John Williams' score for the series and think that no one else measures up. Patrick Doyle was OK but it was downhill from there IMO. The Hedwig theme is iconic (and is my ringtone) :P

The problem with John Williams is that he often just reuses his old scores. Hedwig's Theme is iconic, but I wish that I didn't already hear it in Home Alone.

brina
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
I think that exchange is actually in the book, but he says something like "Midnight is scarier".

Er ... did they actually have Harry defeating Malfoy at the Manor and winning the allegiance of Malfoy's wand? Isn't that kind of a crucial plot point, that Malfoy's wand defeated the elder wand when he disarmed Dumbledore at the end of HBP?

Finally: dirigible plums :rofl:

Didn't you see the part where he literally wrenched the wand from Malfoy's grasp? I was :lol: at that part. What kind of wizard lets someone grab a wand out of your hands!

Stormy
11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Finally: dirigible plums :rofl:

I LOVED the dirigible plums! I don't remember if that was in the book (I am re-reading it and haven't gotten that far in yet), but that's exactly the kind of thing the Lovegoods would have!

Satellitegirl
11-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I loved the movie and really enjoyed it. I didn't reread the book before I saw it, because I didn't want to be bothered by things that were left out. Overall this has to be in my top two. Emma's acting was SO much better now. She doesn't over-act like she used to. The Ministry was hilarious with the polyjuice potions. Loved Ron's bit. great great stuff. Overall it set the mood wonderfully for the part 2 movie. The horcrux bit with Harry/Hermione kissing was weird, but the part where he tried to cheer her up with dancing and them being each other's shoulders to lean on so to speak, was very sweet. I can't wait to see part 2.

Luna was as great as always. Helena Bonham Carter was really good. I think she's been overlooked at just how good she is in these movies at playing deranged.

IceAlisa
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
The problem with John Williams is that he often just reuses his old scores. Hedwig's Theme is iconic, but I wish that I didn't already hear it in Home Alone.

Oooh, I will have to check that out. Got a link? :eek:

Satellitegirl
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Speaking of Hedwig :( I cried.

Didn't give a crap about Dobby though lol or however you spelled his name. Well, ok I was touched, but I thought that scene was milked too much.

Also if you're disappointed some things were left out of the movie that were in the book, I suggest never watching another movie adaptation(key word here) of a book again lol.

nerdycool
11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Oooh, I will have to check that out. Got a link? :eek:I don't think she meant it literally.... but Hedwig's Theme and Home Alone Theme are similar enough in feeling and instrumentation that one can tell right away that they had the same composer. And that said composer just rearranged some things and voila! A new song without too much work!

Hedwig's Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhL2HRAVKZs)
Home Alone Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUeK1PP7-s)

Satellitegirl
11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Really? that's a stretch other than the somewhat dark quality of the music and the light notes on the xylophone. The note rhythm and pattern is different. I give John Williams more credit than that.

Jimena
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I loved the movie. I loved the Ministry scenes and thought the Peter Mullan as Yaxley was fantastic. He was rather scary in the chase scene.

I wish there were opportunities to watch all these actors for longer in these films. They have bit parts, really, and they're so good.

IceAlisa
11-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Really? that's a stretch other than the somewhat dark quality of the music and the light notes on the xylophone. The note rhythm and pattern is different. I give John Williams more credit than that.

I agree. The Hedwig theme uses a celeste which I don't here in HA. Plus while you could probably see that the composer is the same, all it shows is that he has his own mature style but it's a far cry to say it's the same tune. Not a single phrase is repeated.

Remember, Hedwig's theme is just a few notes on the celeste that are pretty unique.

jen_faith
11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Saw it today. Monday afternoon is a great time to see a movie--the theatre was almost empty. Thought the movie was gloomy and dark, but then again that part of the book is gloomy and dark. Overall, enjoyed it and am looking forward to final installment.

IceAlisa
11-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Alright, I caved to the incessant HP publicity. I turn on the TV--it's the documentary about special effects in HP. I turn on the classical music radio station--it's the HP soundtrack, movies 1-7. HP all over the internets. And of course, the tantalizing reviews of fellows FSUers--so I left work early and saw it. Good thing it's the holiday season and the schedule is a bit lighter. The theater was full of men and women in business suits! :lol: I will see it again this weekend with a group of friends.

Random thoughts with SPOILERS:

I liked it!

Loved the way Daniel handled the 8 Harry Potters scene, well done!
I agree with those of you who said Dan and Bonnie Wright don't have any chemistry. OTOH, with Emma Watson there's plenty of chemistry which was oozing from the screen during the dance scene. And that was one hot smooch between the two of them. I guess Daniel wasn't lying when he said Emma ambushed him although it wasn't a very gentlemanly thing to say.

Loved the The Three Brothers' animation sequence although I wasn't thrilled with her reading voice--a bit monotonous. Also, for some reason Death had puppy eyes. Weird.

The whole atmosphere of the movie reminded me of that in WW2 movies where they show the Nazi Germany and the occupied towns. It had that kind of terror and hopelessness. So David Yates finally made a good, atmospheric HP film.

And the kids' acting skills have really improved, especially Daniel's. However, I agree with the poster who said that HBC was overacting. Yes, we get it, Bellatrix is crazy but this was cartoonish. This isn't a Tim Burton film, you know.

ITA with whomever said DD is awfully well preserved for a corpse. He had a cool, modern artsy type of a gravestone too.

Didn't really like the editing of the Snatchers chase scene, very Moulin Rouge-y. I get what they were trying to do but it's unpleasant to watch because of the crazy editing/a million frames per second.

Does anyone remember if Bathilda/Nagini actually has a conversation with Harry in Parseltongue in the book? If so, what do they talk about?

Probably it went something like this:
-What big and clouded over eyes you have, Miss Bagshot!
-I am going to have me some high protein snacks this afternoon!
-Miss Bagshot? Miss Bagshot? Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Can't wait for July! :)

Without the Potter family tree, the Peverell grave doesn't mean anything. Maybe Hermione has a "Who's Who" in her beaded purse for the next movie. Actually I thought that plot point was well made. She was looking for Lily and James' grave and found that of Ignotus Peverell with the symbol on the grave stone. She has also been reading the fairy tale book DD left her and noticed the symbol there on the flyleaf. And then she saw the same symbol in one of DD's letters as reproduced in Rita Skeeter's book. She is good at connecting the dots.

My question is this: how come Harry thinks of asking the Horcrux locket to open in Parseltongue only after Ron gets the sword? How come before he was just trying to incinerate it and cause a forest fire?

Amy L
11-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Maybe after his experience with not!Bathilda, it reminded him of opening the Chamber of Secrets with Parseltongue, and decided it was probably the way to go with the locket. I don't have the book with me right at the moment though.

nerdycool
11-23-2010, 04:07 AM
ITA with whomever said DD is awfully well preserved for a corpse. He had a cool, modern artsy type of a gravestone too. He was well-preserved in the book, too.

Does anyone remember if Bathilda/Nagini actually has a conversation with Harry in Parseltongue in the book? If so, what do they talk about? She does speak Parseltongue to Harry. She had to get him away from Hermione to do it, and when she did start speaking, he didn't even realize that it was Parseltongue because he understood everything she said.

My question is this: how come Harry thinks of asking the Horcrux locket to open in Parseltongue only after Ron gets the sword? How come before he was just trying to incinerate it and cause a forest fire?I think it just came to him. Besides, it probably was for the best he didn't think of it before they had a way to destroy it. Imagine him opening it up and all of them ending up possessed....

IceAlisa
11-23-2010, 04:13 AM
He was well-preserved in the book, too. That's a very good magical embalming job. :P

She does speak Parseltongue to Harry. She had to get him away from Hermione to do it, and when she did start speaking, he didn't even realize that it was Parseltongue because he understood everything she said. So what does she say? I will go flip through the book now--never mind, just some small talk like verification of identity and attempts at misdirection.

I think it just came to him. Besides, it probably was for the best he didn't think of it before they had a way to destroy it. Imagine him opening it up and all of them ending up possessed....

Good point. That would have been ugly.