PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

rfisher
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Yay! Exactly my opinion. Love the guy, but all this glossing over the bad things really bugs me in fandom.

Ginny in the movies was just badly handled. They already missed key-moments in the fifth movie, mostly when Ginny says to Harry that she knows how it is to be possessed by Voldemort. I think that was really important to Harry - and they completely blew it. They also never really emphasised her mischievous side, her similarities with the twins...

Her popularity with boys or the fact she's supposed to be really pretty and way more like the twins in personality than Ron.

I will add that the twins looked very nice in the movie. They've grown up nicely as well. At least they left George's holy joke in the movie.

nerdycool
11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Steve Kloves must be an HH shipper. The only movie that got the characters right and the trio's relationships right was the one he didn't write (5: OotP). Turning Hermione into GirlPower!Hermione and Ron into comic relief really pissed me off.Yes, Kloves has stated that he's always thought that Harry & Hermione would end up together, and that he was surprised when Harry ended up with Ginny, and Ron with Hermione. And for most of his scripts, his view is reflected. He did a better job with DH in showing Ron & Hermione really liking each other, though not so much with Harry & Ginny.

And I guess what stood out a lot for me in the movie was that they had Ron actually being a wizard. Even in the books, he's not known to do much magic, and even less so in the movies. So it was a little shocking for me when he started battling the 2 Death Eaters in the cafe and wasn't being a nervous bumbling mess about it. But it was a good shock! It made it feel like the trio's relationship wasn't so lopsided anymore. Of course his uncertainty came back at the Ministry, but since it was like it was written in the book, I'm okay with it.

Theatregirl1122
11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I think we just have to ignore the ages for most the adult cast members (much like Ethel Merman playing Annie Oakley well into her fifties where it was more like Granny Get Your Gun). Harry's mom and dad both looked too old for their parts too. I think that whole generation was supposed to be in their mid-20s when Voldemort came to the Potter's secret house.

They were all supposed to be 21 I believe. At least the Marauders and Snape.

Amy L
11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, in the DH book, James and Lily's graves are marked 1960-1981. In the movie, you couldn't really read the tombstone at all except for their names, and the dates were obscured. There's never been any attempt to set the movies in the 1990s, so you obviously couldn't have them dying in 1981.

nerdycool
11-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Part of me is always bothered whenever I see Harry's parents, Marauders and Snape looking way older than they were in the books. But I think they almost HAD to make everyone older once they cast Alan Rickman, since James, Lily, Sirius, Remus, Peter and Snape were all supposed to be the same age. I mean, he is the perfect Snape, and I'm so glad they didn't let Alan's age difference from Snape be a barrier from the part.

vesperholly
11-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I was always surprised that Harry's parents were so young.

igniculus
11-22-2010, 01:08 AM
I saw the movie tonight, and boy, I'm in love with it. I only saw it on a terrible cam version (because I didn't want to ruin the impression with the horrible dubbing we always have... :scream:), but it was all worth.

Generally, the first 400-ish pages of the 7th book is my least favorite one, I find it dull and uninspired, but the movie was picture perfect. Not only very accurate, but also managed to bring life into a lifeless camping and nonhappening. The actors did their jobs so well and it's actually the first time I can appreciate what Emma Watson did as Hermione. No more hyper!Hermione! All three matured into their roles and created imho a totally different atmosphere. :swoon:

The only thing I missed was the music. There were so many empty places where there was no background music at all, even though it played an essential part in the past movies. What happened? :(

Hannahclear
11-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Loved it! *Almost* made up for the giant pile of crap that was #6.

IceAlisa
11-22-2010, 03:11 AM
The only thing I missed was the music. There were so many empty places where there was no background music at all, even though it played an essential part in the past movies. What happened? :(

New composer Alexander Desplat happened. From what I've seen so far in terms of reviews, his work is one of the weak points of the movie.

Clarice
11-22-2010, 03:50 AM
I actually liked the lack of underscoring in this movie. It made everything seem more serious, somehow. I also really liked the almost inaudible quote from the earlier scores at the very opening of the film - just enough to draw us in before the entire mood changed.

igniculus
11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
New composer Alexander Desplat happened. From what I've seen so far in terms of reviews, his work is one of the weak points of the movie.

Oh, thanks for the info.

Actually, it wasn't that disturbing, it just really stuck out sometimes. For instance, I could have imagined some really intriguing music when Hermione is reading the tale.

That scene was PML btw, did you notice the little wink towards Twilight? :P

IceAlisa
11-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Oh, thanks for the info.

Actually, it wasn't that disturbing, it just really stuck out sometimes. For instance, I could have imagined some really intriguing music when Hermione is reading the tale. No problem. :)

I am completely enchanted by John Williams' score for the series and think that no one else measures up. Patrick Doyle was OK but it was downhill from there IMO. The Hedwig theme is iconic (and is my ringtone) :P

That scene was PML btw, did you notice the little wink towards Twilight? :P
I am completely ignorant of Twilight, so please elaborate.

Kruss
11-22-2010, 08:54 AM
One spoiler I'd heard was mercifully wrong. I'd heard that Harry released Hedwig to avoid danger for her. I'm glad the movie was like the book, because Hedwig's death was so sad and very symbolic.

igniculus
11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I am completely ignorant of Twilight, so please elaborate.

Me too, I hate Twilight with passion. :EVILLE: But it was fun.

When Hermione was reading the tale of the three brothers, one of the sentences had the word "Twilight", which Ron quickly corrected to "midnight", because his mom always said/read "midnight" to him, not "twilight". Hermione flashed a rather angry look, Harry was WTF, to wich Ron awkwardly responded: "Twilight's fine... better actually..." I totally :rofl:-d.

vesperholly
11-22-2010, 01:24 PM
When Hermione was reading the tale of the three brothers, one of the sentences had the word "Twilight", which Ron quickly corrected to "midnight", because his mom always said/read "midnight" to him, not "twilight". Hermione flashed a rather angry look, Harry was WTF, to wich Ron awkwardly responded: "Twilight's fine... better actually..." I totally :rofl:-d.

I think that exchange is actually in the book, but he says something like "Midnight is scarier".

Er ... did they actually have Harry defeating Malfoy at the Manor and winning the allegiance of Malfoy's wand? Isn't that kind of a crucial plot point, that Malfoy's wand defeated the elder wand when he disarmed Dumbledore at the end of HBP?

Finally: dirigible plums :rofl: