PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

VIETgrlTerifa
11-20-2010, 03:14 AM
I love that the main arguments from the negative criticisms were that you had to know what happened in the previous movies (or books) to follow what happened and that it didn't have a resolution.

Again, it's the 7th installment of a movie/book series. Did they really think that they would begin with "previously, on Harry Potter..." Anyway, I saw it with a friend of mine who has never read the book and only went to the 6th movie with me as a favor (it was her first HP film) and hardly remembers it. She loved it and she wasn't too lost. She was able to fill in whatever gaps there were by deducing things in context. It didn't need to be spelled out.

Also, for the other part...again, it's PART 1. I swear that these aren't really true criticisms but people not having any fun with the films so they want to shit on it.

I liked the Los Angeles Time's review even if it was a negative one. Kenneth Turan basically said that he wished they had more imagination with the storytelling because it felt very "by the numbers" with the production being adamant about being faithful to the book but he loved the Three Brothers scene and felt that if the movie showed that much creativity, then he'd enjoy it more. I think it's funny how many of the fans finally got a faithful enough adaptation to suit their needs and the movie critics who never read the books think that this movie failed because of that. Thank goodness most critics actually enjoyed the film.

nerdycool
11-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Yeah, HP movies have made me hate the term "stand alone" when it comes to movie terms. That generally means that they've taken liberty with the story. So it makes me hopeful to hear that pt. 1 doesn't stand so well on its own. Then we can hope that it's pretty accurate to the book (which is what Potter fans usually want).

I'm going tomorrow night! Super excited!

literaryfreak
11-20-2010, 06:16 AM
So what did you think of the Three brothers? I thought it was absolutely mesmerizing. Emma's voice suited the animation perfectly. There was total silence in the theater everyone was so into the tale, and for the 5 minutes it felt like the whole place was hypnotized.

I thought it was gorgeous, the creepy gothic artwork.

walei
11-20-2010, 07:40 AM
As a viewer who has never read the any of the book but saw all the movies up to 7.1... I think 7.1 is easiest my least favorite...

Two main things that I thought was disappointing:

- I understand they need to solidly establish the relationships between the Harry/Ron/Hermione but I thought it was dragged on way too long. I felt they could have condensed the plot into one hour.

- This is a personal point, I was disappointed that there are no Hogwarts Magic or anything 'new' in terms of setting. Every installment of HP we get to see the magical world of the wizards and there were awe inspiring settings. HP7.1 were mostly moody landscapes which actually reminded me of Twilight and IMO that's not a good thing O_O. I just wasn't 'wowed' by anything in the movie except for the Three Brothers scene.

On the other hand, I didn't felt that I'm not getting a payoff from 7.1 because...there will be 7.2. I do expect a lot out of 7.2 now with a HUGE payoff when they took the time to established everything a little too thoroughly in 7.1.

Also I want to ask about a plot related item: What's the significance of the three Deathly Hollows symbol? Is it JUST to point Harry to Luna's dad or is there like a cult that worships the Deathly Hollows that wasn't explained in 7.1? As of right now I felt it's a contrived plot device just to move the story along...

IceAlisa
11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
The above post is a good example of how viewers who haven't read the books rob themselves of the full enjoyment of the movie.

walei, if you had read the book, you'd know that the first half IS mostly moody landscapes and dialogues with barely any sparkling magical settings or displays of brilliantly creative CGI. The point of the last two movies is to be faithful to the book and for the first time it seems the movie was as faithful as possible when translating from the print to visual format. One of the big gripes Potter fans had with the previous movies are (unforgivable to some) diversions from the canon. Just ask rfisher.

And yes, the Deathly Hallows ARE important, even key to the denouement of the story. Hint: see the title of the final films.

I apologize for the overly snarky post. I've read too many criticisms from people who haven't read the book are complain of being lost and unconnected. The movie was not intended "to stand on its own", even less so than the previous ones.

walei
11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm waiting for the movies to be all done before I'm going to read the books. I read Lord of the Rings before the movie and although the movies are excellent I found myself constantly comparing it to the book which took away a lot of my enjoyment.

I know the Deathly Hollow are important, I'm asking about the symbol... Hope it will be explained in 7.2 because right now it seemed like the 'symbol' was a plot device to move the story along and didn't explain why Luna's dad is wearing the symbol.

IceAlisa
11-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes, the symbol is important. Can't say anymore without revealing what it is. I would read the books and then go back and re-watch the movies. I think you will watch them with different eyes and a new appreciation.

OTOH, I couldn't watch or read LOTR movies or books, try as I may, finding both extremely boring.

As to the HP books themselves--the plot is frequently full of holes, dei ex machina abound, dramatic writing sucks and most books follow the same formula. And the archetype of the final story was predictable to those who were paying attention (can't elaborate without spoiling).

Yet, with all these imperfections I found the books addictive, creative and entertaining. And the biggest difference from LOTR--Rowling has a marvelous sense of humor besides having an imagination.

rfisher
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree that the books are hardly great writing, but the characters are compelling. You overlook the plot holes (albeit it is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain the story lines over 7 sequential books) because you love the characters.

I vastly prefer the books to the movies. I've read them multiple times and will read them multiple times in the future. I usually don't bother watching the movies twice even though I have them all on DVD. Most have never been opened. :shuffle:

brina
11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I loved the movie. I thought the impression of being lost and alone was translated well into the film. I remember when I read the book, around halfway through I was feeling the same way as Ron when he said to Harry, I thought you knew what you were doing! Of course the film isn't meant to be complete in itself, so I am not disappointed in how unresolved everything seemed with it. Emma is an amazing actress. I really liked her role in the story overall, actually. It appears like she is doing most of the legwork for the three, which usually isn't the case with female characters in a movie.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
One thing that I thought the movie did well was that it let both Ron and Harry do enchantments and protective spells which made it seem like they were doing a lot of the work too. In the book, it seemed that Hermione was the only one who knew how to do those spells and it seemed sort of strange to me because you'd think Harry and Ron should pick up some of that slack.

Stormy
11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Do we really need to use spoiler tags? The book has been out for 3 years now. I know this is a movie...but still, the majority of people know what's going to happen.

rfisher
11-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm going this afternoon. I couldn't stand waiting. Screw doing laundry.

IceAlisa
11-20-2010, 05:53 PM

I hear ya. I am having a hard time waiting until next weekend when we are scheduled to go with friends. :drama:

IceJunkie
11-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I think JK is a solid writer, and likewise, the HP series is solid. It's not absolutely mind-blowing writing or the most creative or ingenious of plot lines, but what I always liked about the series is, for lack of a a better phrase, straight-forward. Not a lot of descriptive BS, which allows for your imagination to work.

I think at this point, even if you have watched all of the movies in succession multiple times, you're still going to be lost to some extent by the 7th and 8th movies. The movies are a good complimentary piece, but the books are SO much better. That being said, the Bill/Fleur wedding scene and Godric's Hallow were both spot-on to how I imagined them.

skatemomaz
11-20-2010, 10:11 PM

I hear ya. I am having a hard time waiting until next weekend when we are scheduled to go with friends. :drama:

I'm going again tomorrow with my husband, he was in China last week so couldn't go to the midnight opening with us.

I'll be interested in hearing your reactions. :)