PDA

View Full Version : Deathly Hallows Trailer

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

dbell1
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Is he trying to become Andy Dick? because he's gone from high fashion all the way over to complete dork.

I was thinking Mondo ripoff (Project Runway). :scream:

And we need a HP DH1 thread!!! :watch:

lmarie086
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
It was so good!! I loved it, IMO probably the best of all the movies so far. It wasn't exactly like the book, but very close to it.

I think I might be seeing it again this weekend...lol.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Possible spoilers below.

I was reading some of the negative reviews (they're in the minority) and their biggest gripe (other than it being so close to the books that new viewers can't get into it) is that it's all tension with no resolution or pay-off.

Um...what part of "Part 1" did they not understand? I love how some people complain that there was either too much talking (which I loved because it showed off the relationship between the trio) or that there wasn't enough (saying it was too action-packed).

I remember why I don't trust the majority of film critics. I find that a large number of them have narrow-minded philosophies on film and are more in the business in trying to sell us on their intelligence or snark rather than looking at a film.

FigureSpins
11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Our local paper's film critic despises Harry Potter. He really only likes slasher movies, so his "opinion" is generally useless unless it's a mindless comedy with lots of groin injuries and belching. (Will Ferrell is his hero)

The HP6 review he gave last year was really snarky. The review create some feedback online since he admitted he had never read the books, thought the actors/filmmakers involved were sub-par, and hated the debates/discussion about book vs. movies.

This year, we haven't heard a word from him in the paper about HP7.1. They've had three guest columnists write fluff pieces (growing up with HP) and the initial review. Either he's not doing movie reviews anymore, or he had to abstain from this one to avoid a repeat of last year's performances.

Theatregirl1122
11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Don't know if I should use spoiler tags. I assume anyone who hasn't seen it won't be in this thread if they don't want to know?

Saw it last night at midnight after having just reread the book and I think they did just about as well as they could have done. They kept a solid pace, didn't really invent anything, and didn't lose anything essential. I thought they way oversold Dobby dying though. Like, it was sad and stuff but the whole speech about being with his friends was laying it on a little thick.

IceJunkie
11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought it was good. I re-read Deathly Hallows about a year and a half ago, and everything seemed fairly true to the book.

The only thing that deviated was the quasi-romance between Harry and Hermione. Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe do have really good chemistry together, and it was way more believable than Daniel/Bonnie. The whole theater erupted during the topless kiss/semi sex-scene. It was like no one had seen anything like that before. :rofl:

Plus here was just one kissing scene between them and Harry really didn't think anything of Ginny the whole movie.

I definitely would have liked to have seen more Snape, though, but I honestly don't remember if he makes more appearances in the later half than the first or not.

IceAlisa
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I saw a documentary on the shooting of HP films and one episode showed them filming the kiss between Harry and Ginny in HP 7.1. I got the distinct impression that Daniel Radcliffe does not find Bonnie Wright the least bit attractive and didn't even bother to feign it in the film. She was the one who leaned into the kiss and he just stood there not moving a muscle, not leaning towards her at all and looking disinterested.

OTOH, weren't Dan and Emma caught making out in some bar a few years ago?

skatemomaz
11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I went to the midnight showing last night. This is the first time I have truly felt they stayed true to the book, I have been disappointed with most of the other movies, so while I have a few minor quibbles I overall loved the movie. I do think they did not place enough emphasis on the Deathly Hallows and exactly why they are important, especially the elder wand.

FigureSpins
11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't want to spoil this movie or the next one...

I think the script deliberately avoided in-depth discussion of the Deathly Hallows because they're saving that for Part II, when they come to realization that the DH could be real. (Which is the way it happened in the book, iirc. Sudden awareness.)

I'm guessing that, since we just left off with Voldy grave-robbing to get DD's wand, that act will be the trio's wakeup call to the existence of the two other DH trinkets, both of which are within their reach.

FWIW, I thought DD looked pretty good for a dead guy who's been in a crypt for months! He should get a job at the Haunted Mansion, lol.

IceAlisa
11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Our local paper's film critic despises Harry Potter. He really only likes slasher movies, so his "opinion" is generally useless unless it's a mindless comedy with lots of groin injuries and belching. (Will Ferrell is his hero)

The HP6 review he gave last year was really snarky. The review create some feedback online since he admitted he had never read the books, thought the actors/filmmakers involved were sub-par, and hated the debates/discussion about book vs. movies.

This year, we haven't heard a word from him in the paper about HP7.1. They've had three guest columnists write fluff pieces (growing up with HP) and the initial review. Either he's not doing movie reviews anymore, or he had to abstain from this one to avoid a repeat of last year's performances.

This review, or rather the video review that accompanies the article (http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2010/11/18/harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_drags_out_the _suspense_of_the_series_finale/?rss_id=Top+Stories) really pissed me off.

The article itself is fine but there is another reviewer, the self-important looking guy in a rose-colored shirt who whines and complains about how TERRIBLE HP 7.1 is and how it burned the bridges for him to the point that he will not be seeing HP 7.2. :drama:

Well, the little detail he does mention is that he hasn't read the books! :duh: Of course you are going to be lost in this movie because apparently it does not cater to a newcomer to Potterverse (and why should it this far down the line?). But he doesn't blame his own ignorance of the plot, nooooo, he blames the movie. :rolleyes:

jollibee
11-20-2010, 01:01 AM
So what did you think of the Three brothers? I thought it was absolutely mesmerizing. Emma's voice suited the animation perfectly. There was total silence in the theater everyone was so into the tale, and for the 5 minutes it felt like the whole place was hypnotized.

skatemomaz
11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
So what did you think of the Three brothers? I thought it was absolutely mesmerizing. Emma's voice suited the animation perfectly. There was total silence in the theater everyone was so into the tale, and for the 5 minutes it felt like the whole place was hypnotized.

Loved that scene. It was so perfectly done and beautifully suited the mood.

rjblue
11-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I thought it was great. It was probably as interesting to non-book people as it was to the readers, and emphasized the importance of the tale.

I just got back from the movie and I loved it. Like everyone else, the only thing I can find to criticise is thelack of Harry/Ginny chemistry. I was glad they put George in as comic relief to their only scene together, because it distracted nicely from how icky it was.

I almost cried when Harry and Hermione were dancing. My husband's sister passed away two years ago, and one of my fondest memories of them is how they loved to dance together just as Harry and Hermione did.

rfisher
11-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Ok, I'm getting excited since so many are saying it followed the book. I fear I'd have caused a scene at the theater if they'd done what they did in OtOP or HBP. (or every movie since SS). I'm waiting to go next Monday. or maybe Sunday. possibly tomorrow.

Theatregirl1122
11-20-2010, 01:55 AM

I thought it was amazing. I had no idea how they were going to make that story work and it was just wonderful.