PDA

View Full Version : Quad/roller skating

Bunny_Hop
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I live quite far from an ice rink and can only get there twice a week. However, I'm in love with the sensation of skating and gliding, and I'm looking into off-ice alternatives (roller, inline and PIC skates). If I go ahead with this, I will be skating on paving/sidewalks. My major priorities are:

1. Something that will stand up to skating on hard cement.
2. Will not ruin my muscle memory for ice skating!

PIC skates look the most like ice skates but seem pretty pricey; also, do they need a soft-ish/smoothish surface (eg. tennis/basketball court) to work on and not get destroyed?

I've used regular inline skates and found them "slippery" -- their rounded-side wheels reawaken my tendency to skate wide-footed, which might carry over into ice skating. Also, the rounded-side wheels would probably make one-foot gliding maneuvers difficult to balance?

Roller skates look harder than ice skates as their "blades" don't extend behind the heel; ie. lean back and you splat. But I like the appearance of them, plus their "culture" seems close to that of figure skating.

So, I have a few questions:
1. Does doing other types of skating ruin your on-ice ability? I'm fine with "five minutes of stroking to get the feel of the ice" (do that for warm-up anyway), but do they have a risk of seriously affecting/confusing your muscle memory for figure skating?
2. Which of the above feels most like figure skating? (also, add any ideas I haven't had yet!)
3. Which, if any, of the above will not get destroyed by skating on hard and rough cement/pavers?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I don't want to be able to do any skating elements on these, other than basic push-glide stroking, maybe crossovers and spirals. No spins, jumps etc.

TAHbKA
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I think you should be asking those questions here (http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/)

In general if all you do is just basic stroking and crossovers then you might as well use the inline skates. It's not much. If you would like to try anything else the inline skates would be useless. You wouldn't even be able to do a 3 turn, unless the surface is completely wet.

Oh, and use protectors. The feeling of falling on the concrete is very different from falling on the ice - by far more painful.