PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Voulez-vous vuvuzeler avec moi ce soir?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69

softlip
07-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Congratulations to Spain, the team with the currently best football :cheer2:
Also congrats to...
- Diego :swoon: Forlan for the Golden Ball (I think this awards naming is a little bit unfortunate :shuffle: Especially in Japanese)
-Thomas Mueller for the Golden Boot
-Iker Casillas for the Golden Glove
-Spain for the Fair Play Award
-Thomas Mueller for best young player award

3) Germany is also the 2009 U-17 champions so their future is extremely bright.

The 2009 U-17 champion is in fact... Switzerland :eek: They beat the Germans in the first knock-off stage game in PKs.
Germany is the 2009 Euro U-17 champion, though. The 2010 Euro U-17 champion is England btw.

Buzz
07-13-2010, 01:39 AM
The 2009 U-17 champion is in fact... Switzerland :eek: They beat the Germans in the first knock-off stage game in PKs.
Germany is the 2009 Euro U-17 champion, though. The 2010 Euro U-17 champion is England btw.

oopsie...again... :lol: Still say they have a great future in football ahead of them. :)

Lorac
07-13-2010, 01:40 AM
The 2010 Euro U-17 champion is England btw.

Hopefully something for us to build on as this WC compaign was a pretty dismal event for us. I'm hoping we can start with a good Euro 2012 campaign.

ballettmaus
07-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Why bother having competitions? I mean, why can't we gauge potential then just reward the title "Best Team of the World Cup." I mean it's not as if winning the big title means you're the best.

I'm sorry but for me it just takes more to be the best than winning the big title. I've never been a huge fan of hers but is Michelle Kwan a less good skater than Sarah Hughes? I don't think so. Sarah Hughes was better on that night in SLC, however, Michelle Kwan was still the better skater overall. Sarah Hughes benefited from Kwan's mistake. Of course, Hughes also had to keep it together.
Same applies to me to that tournament. Germany was better overall but when it mattered, they couldn't keep it together. Spain did, however, it doesn't make them automatically the better team. (though I think that their win was deserved in the end because they were the better team in that rather unentertaining game)

Germany, however, did something really stupid. They left the airport through the back exit today while hundreds of fans were waiting out front to at least give them a proper welcome after the team refused to go anywhere and celebrate. Many of them had apparently gotten up at 4 a.m. to be there.
I'm sorry, I understand that the players were disappointed but they've come in third and their fans supported them all the way. They were shown the pictures from home and in an interview Lahm stated that they watched those images before a game to get some extra motivation. The atmosphere was as high and great as it has been in 2006 even though the World Cup was held miles and miles away. The players could at least have had the graciousness to show up and thank the fans for their great support.
(and I think by refusing to be celebrated, they diminished their own worth because they got a bronze medal!! They can be proud of that especially since they didn't expect anything and making the Quarter Finals was their ultimate goal)

softlip
07-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Hopefully something for us to build on as this WC compaign was a pretty dismal event for us. I'm hoping we can start with a good Euro 2012 campaign.

Actually I think that England does have young talents. The U-21 team was runner-up to Germany in the 2009 Euro championship. The problem is that the young players weren't used. I am still shocked that Theo Walcott was left home for example. According to this article (http://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=1500318.html) only James Milner (1 game) and Joe Hart (3rd GK) were in the squad for this WC.

If I may compare this to the German team: 6 players of the winning Euro U-21 squad are now playing in the senior team. They not only know each other but also how to win. Granted, the current changes were a bit surprising and there was some "luck" (or bad luck as it seemed at first) involved with veteran players injuring themselves, but I'm sure this is the direction the coaching staff was always heading.
On the downside the German junior teams aren't doing so well now in their tournaments, because their best players are occupied with the big boys. (There are 6 players who are still age eligible in various U-21 teams.)

For lasting success a federation needs good grass-roots development (here Italy is currently lacking IMO), building teams through the junior ranks and then integrate good young players early in the senior squad so there is enough time the team can gel.
This was the case with the Spanish team, the Germans, Argentina (Peckerboys) and the Dutch.
With the last step a national coach takes some risks since there are always know-it-all-critics and old, establishes players who don't like changes. A coach should have the audacity to get rid of players who don't fit into the system.

That said I think that being the English national coach is the second most ungrateful job in the world right after being US president.

Lorac
07-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Actually I think that England does have young talents. The U-21 team was runner-up to Germany in the 2009 Euro championship. The problem is that the young players weren't used. I am still shocked that Theo Walcott was left home for example. According to this article (http://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=1500318.html) only James Milner (1 game) and Joe Hart (3rd GK) were in the squad for this WC.

I was visiting England when the squad was announced and the Theo Walcott ommission made no sense to many people. I do agree there is talent there - it needs to be nurtured and brought on.

That said I think that being the English national coach is the second most ungrateful job in the world right after being US president.

Agreed - especially with the English press always digging at them!!

Buzz
07-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Fernando Torres said he wants to stay in Liverpool.

oleada
07-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Iker & the little Infantas Sofia & Leonor (http://www.europapress.es/chance/gente/noticia-infantas-leonor-sofia-suman-roja-20100712190643.html) Awwww x a million :swoon:
Brazil 2014 logo (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mqZTrjHFzwU/TDfYYU0Eo_I/AAAAAAAADFI/-R4A4dNPEso/Brazil%20World%20Cup%202014.jpg)
Özil says he'll finish his contract at Werder Bremen (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1293845/Im-rush-leave-Mesut-Ozil-strikes-blow-Arsenal-Manchester-City.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Autumm_wind
07-13-2010, 08:41 AM
What could Brazil be trying to tell us with the logo? :lol:

zhenya271
07-13-2010, 08:59 AM

:lol:They are patiently waiting, while Spain celebrates.

fragoletta
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Iker & the little Infantas Sofia & Leonor (http://www.europapress.es/chance/gente/noticia-infantas-leonor-sofia-suman-roja-20100712190643.html) Awwww x a million :swoon:

Awww, I can't help it...:swoon: He's cute, that I've known for the last 8 years...but pics like this one and his kiss on air bring everything to a whole new level :lol:

allezfred
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

:grope:

calica
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Pepe reina Speaker
Spain celebration and Pepe Reina show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ODfbg2YjY

Pin= Little insignia tipe : http://s2pin.sifeuvg.org.gt/pines%20sec.2.jpg

empanao= Absent-minded person

farandula= show bussness

Yehudi
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Hughes and Kwan is not a good analogy. Michelle had an off-night and I don't believe Sarah had ever beaten Kwan before that night or after. Spain had beaten Germany not only in 2010, but also in 2008, with very similar teams.

As impressive as Germany's wins were over England and Argentina, you have to remember that the defense of both those teams was entirely suspect. Terry hasn't been the same since he flubbed that penalty in Moscow, Demechelis has been horrifying all tournament long. On the other hand, Puyol has consistently been the best defender in what is probably the worst league to play in if you are a defender (just ask Cannavaro and Zambrotta).

VIETgrlTerifa
07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
The difference between figure skating and sports like soccer is that the one sport pits competitors directly against one another while the other one has individuals (or teams) judged on their ability relative to their competitors. So the Michelle Kwan/Sarah Hughes and Spain/Germany comparison doesn't really fly.

Say what you want about Spain, but they were able to beat Germany head-to-head.