PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Voulez-vous vuvuzeler avec moi ce soir?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69

Buzz
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Just took a walk outside and there are a lot of Spanish fans celebrating on Yonge Street. Almost made me wish I was in Spain to witness the partying there. LOL I find it hard to except that this is it for another four years. :(

fragoletta
07-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Congratulations to Spain and sweetsparky! :cheer2: I was kinda rooting for Holland (I have had a soft spot for this team for years) but I am not dissappointed with Spain winning. Those misses from Robben when he was almost on his own against Casillas probably decided the match. And yes, the Dutch did play rough but Iniesta was quite the movie star on more than one occasion, so I guess sportsmanship and fairplay aren't really on the menu when the stakes are so high...

Milan's center square was totally owned by the Spaniards tonight, I envy them :)

liv
07-12-2010, 01:08 AM
ahhhh...I've adored Casillas for years, ever since I saw him first play...that was so sweet.

Congratulations for Spain. They won over a team that unfortunately had some dirty playing. It wasn't that good a game, pretty dull to me for the beginning anyway, but the right team won in the end. I don't know if Spain is the best in the world, but they won the tournament and that says for now they are.

Congratulations to Paul. Perfect record in choosing the winners. When I read that he had chosen Spain, I just knew they'd win. What's with this octopus? :)

Andrey aka Pushkin
07-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Paul! :cheer2:
He's the only reason why I even bothered :lol:

sweetsparkie, congrats! I wonder if the Spaniards will finish celebrating till I get there.
Today in Madrid (http://pics.livejournal.com/drugoi/pic/01077xb8.jpg)

VIETgrlTerifa
07-12-2010, 05:27 AM
I can disagree, can't I? They won, yes and they won when it mattered but they weren't by far the best team of this world cup.
And on contrary to what everyone else is saying and thinking, Spain was able to win that game against Germany because Germany was scared like hell. If Germany had played like they had against Argentina, Australia and England, Spain wouldn't have been where they are tonight. Yet the Germans had doubts and they allowed Spain to have as much ball possession as they did. They allowed Spain to play the game they wanted. Spain wasn't playing any different from how they were playing in any of the other games they've played. But Germany did play different. They played worse. And that's why Spain could win.

To me, the best is not always who wins. Especially not in sports like soccer where so many other factors are factoring into the outcome.
The skater who wins is not always the best skater. I compare that entire World Cup to a splatfestival in figure skating when those with the fewest falls win. Spain was that team but they benefited from mistakes others made.

That is my opinion anyway and how I see it.

Why bother having competitions? I mean, why can't we gauge potential then just reward the title "Best Team of the World Cup." I mean it's not as if winning the big title means you're the best.

Anyway, I was at a bar with mostly Spain fans, with a few vocal Dutch ones, and I had a blast. I never really watched a soccer game in full, but man the excitement of the game was intoxicating...as were the ales I was downing.

Viva Espana!

Ninchen
07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
My brother is trying to convince me that the spanish keeper looks like Joubert...does anyone else see it?

I kept saying that for me Casillas is the best looking guy of the World Cup and then one of my friends said: "of course you think he's best looking...he's exactly looking like Joubert" :lol:(they know i'm his fan)
i hadn't noticed that myself :P

Coco
07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Like Joubert, but better. Much, much better.

NeilJLeonard
07-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Glad for Spain. They were the better team in the match & had developed into the best team in the tournament, IMO, despite what others may think. Spain deserves the Cup & the week long party that will probably happen now...:D

By halftime I was disgusted with the Dutch for one of the more interesting displays of thuggery in WC history. Certainly Nigel de Jong's assault in the 1st half deserved a red card instead of a yellow & the constant fouling by the Dutch probably deserved at least one more. Not awarding them with at least 1 red in the 1st 90 minutes was Howard Webb's worst mistake, IMO.

My congrats to South Africa, too. They put on a good show. Hopefully the USA can get another shot at doing the same during my lifetime. South Africa, and probably Brazil the next time around, have given us a good target to shoot for if we get another chance. Hopefully without the vuvuzelas, thank you. Let's hope those remain part of this WC's identity...;)

NJL (...I also love Forlan getting the Golden Ball....he deserved it...:)...)

itsartemis
07-12-2010, 01:39 PM
NJL (...I also love Forlan getting the Golden Ball....he deserved it...:)...)

He gave everything for his country. How wonderful he got the Golden Ball when they lost out on the bronze. :D

Like Joubert, but better. Much, much better.

I agree. Casillas is really handsome :grope: (Brian, not so much. :slinkaway)

I think he is staying in Liverpool (http://assets.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/assets/ft1.jpg) :cheer:

Congratulations, Spain! (http://twitpic.com/24jr6m)

Autumm_wind
07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
@ balletmaus

You can vote for the most entertaining team (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1272376/index.html#what+your+favourite+moment) regardless of what others may say. ;)

I went with Germany. :shrug: (I think the Spaniards are too drunk to care anyway.)

skatefan
07-12-2010, 02:34 PM
:cheer2: Congratulations to Spain - worthy Champions :cheer2:

icewalker08
07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Viva Espana :) Congratulations :) They are the best.

Ah and I forgot to say congratulations to Forlan the best player :)

walei
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Congrats to Spain for winning the WC! They were the best team of the tournament and love all the photos/vids of the Spaniards celebrating, really brought back the memories of Vancouver 2010 when Canadians won the hockey gold.

Rob
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I hadn't realized Brazil was host next time. Hmmm --- 2014 is also the year my husband turns 50; he's never been to Brazil and I have only been to Rio. Sounds perfect.

Jackie Sparrow
07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
ESPAÑAAAAAAAAA!!!
(I just realised that I haven't expressed my joy in this thread yet :))