PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Voulez-vous vuvuzeler avec moi ce soir?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

walei
07-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I feel your pain.... At least they can still win the bronze.

I know there is a third place match but I don't think bronze is awarded to the winner... It's just the Cup or nothing (AFAIK).

Go Spain!

dots
07-07-2010, 04:53 AM
I feel your pain.... At least they can still win the bronze.

Bronze is for losers! :P :wuzrobbed

Jackie Sparrow
07-07-2010, 06:46 AM
I feel your pain.... At least they can still win the bronze. Oh please, who cares about any other ranking than first place in football :rofl: I wouldn't even remember who was in the final with Italy 4 years ago if it wasn't for Zidane's headbanger :P

itsartemis
07-07-2010, 09:09 AM
whole post
Thank you so much for explaining it from the Argentinian perspective.

And as for Maradona. It's been a delight watching him at this World Cup. A man who's certainly been to hell and back - and now in a good place. He added an extra dimension to this championship. :)

Buzz
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Germany was third in 2006 and Turkey was third in 2002. Croatia was third in 1998. I like watching the third place match. :shuffle:

oleada
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I actually do to. It's usually a pretty fun match.

as for today: Paul is just a mollusk. Om. Om. I am totally zen.

Buzz
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
:cheer2: España!!! :cheer2:

ballettmaus
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I didn't realize that being prettier made you the better team. I mean I can see why people would definetly prefer exciting football vs grit it out football. But my suspician is that sometimes in order to win, its well frankly NOT going to be well pretty. Especially when it comes to well defense. In basketball we can have players that are all about showboating etc, making crazy shots etc. But a lot of times these teams lose because the crazy moves don't always work, and sometimes simplier is way more effective. To be frank basketball is a team sport, and at times it actually can be frustrating watch teams that don't understand this basic concept. Football too-team sport. It seemed to me watching Argentina, that most of the time it felt like they were just relying on Messi to score. Because he was constantly getting the ball. Now Messi from what I understand amazing player. But Messi alone was not going to win the tournment with teams as good as Spain and Germany. Why Argentina didn't start changing around their offense to have well a way better system.

By what I was saying I didn't mean the tricks the players can do. I don't care for those because it doesn't matter if you can do them or not. What I meant is the forward play. The one touch play. Not kicking the ball around in the middle of the field and then maybe try to build up something.
A lot of games concentrated around the middle of the field during this world cup and last night there weren't many shots at the goal on either side. There were a lot of balls which didn't go where they were supposed to be, so if one guy from the Netherlands gave the ball to a team member it didn't always get to that team member but a guy from Uruguay got it. That is what's slowing a game down. Or when the teams try desperately to get the ball through the middle where the most players are located. When they run out of ideas.

I saw that Messi wasn't worth a thing ;) and neither were a lot of other players who were said to be so great.

Loves_Shizuka
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Viel gluck Deutschland!

Turkey was third in 2002. Croatia was third in 1998. I like watching the third place match. :shuffle:

Weird that neither team even made it to the finals this time round.

Zokko!
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Let's quote myself, 'cause yellow (gold) comes better on grey!

D E U T S C H L A N D !!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :encore:

Lena is watching, too ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUMDmj5dk8&feature=related), and 2006 she was "a lil' in love" with Arne Friedrich ... :swoon:

oleada
07-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Lena is watching, too ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUMDmj5dk8&feature=related), and 2006 she was "a lil' in love" with Arne Friedrich ... :swoon:

She has good taste; he's quite dreamy. :swoon:
I'm glad he got his first ever goal at the World Cup :cheer:

fragoletta
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Germany was third in 2006 and Turkey was third in 2002. Croatia was third in 1998. I like watching the third place match. :shuffle:

I remember watching Germany losing from Italy in one of the semis (probably the most memorable football experience in my life so far) but I had forgotten who France beat in the other semi-final (I had to checck it online and it was Portugal), which I guess shows how much I cared for the 3d place match that year. :P
OTOH I remember Turkey and South Corea made a very good and entertaining game, with the first goal coming 10 seconds after it started. :rofl: At the end players from both teams hugged and bowed to the public and it was a great sportsmanship moment, there were no clear losers as it happens in the real final.
And when my country played for the 3r place in 1994 :angryfire Man, I don't even wanna remember it :P

As for today's game, I really don't know who I am rooting for. I like Spain and Spain-Holland final would be very nice and whoever wins, it's going to be their first world title! :cheer2: And if Germany wins they are gonna tie Italy with 4 titles each and I prefer they don't :P. OTOH it's almost impossible not to like their young multi-etnical team, where talent, discipline and strategy are so well balanced...
At the end I think I am 70:30 for Spain but I hope for a great game and let the better team win! :cheer2:
(and I am going to watch it in a bar with a cute Brazilian barman so who cares if the game sucks :lol:)

bek
07-07-2010, 06:03 PM
While of course it would be cool for Spain and Holland as countries to win their first world cup. I think with the case of Germany, while it won't be Germany's first World Cup, it will be all of the German player's first world cup. I'm not sure the fact that my country won the World Cup 20 years ago, isn't that mollifying of a thing, to a player who hasn't won. I mean of course to the fans of Germany its comforting, but its not really comforting to the athletes.

I'd like to see the best team win, but I'm not sure who it is.. I really like this German squad as well from what I saw. With Spain, last I saw they felt kind of lethergic like they weren't putting everything into the game in the quaterfinals. At least I hope that's the case. Maybe playing against a team that is not only good defensively but also great offensively will kick Spain into another gear. The fact that all of their goals were scored by one person at this World Cup, isn't a promising thing (although they did face some tough defensive teams.

sweetsparky
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Fernando Torres won´t be part of Spanish initial team. I think it could be a good decission

oleada
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Fernando Torres won´t be part of the Spanish initial team. I think it could be a good decission

Agreed.

Still, let's go Germany! :cheer2: