PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Voulez-vous vuvuzeler avec moi ce soir?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

sweetsparky
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
BTW I love that Robben and Sneijder who were :kickass: from Real Madrid have taken Holland to the final HA! :EVILLE:

sweetsparky
07-06-2010, 09:45 PM
For the first time in the history of the World Cup there will be a European winner on a continent other than Europe. This is a great achievement, especially after the voices at the beginning of the World Cup, that made it sound as if Europe is only slightly more successful than Antarctica at this World Cup.

:lol:

Go Penguins! :P

Loves_Shizuka
07-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Netherlands :cheer2: Now all I need is Germany to make the final, and I'm so happy with whoever wins. :D

Buzz
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Congratulations to the Dutch and it is my hope that they will face the Spanish in Sunday's final. :D I am sad for Uruguay but they sure made a game out of it! Very well done by "the little engine that could" a.k.a Uruguay!!! LOL I am very proud of how they have done and now on to the bronze medal match!!! :cheer2: As for tomorrow....

GO SPAIN!!! :cheer2:

sweetsparky
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I am sad for Uruguay but they sure made a game out of it! Very well done by "the little engine that could" a.k.a Uruguay!!! LOL I am very proud of how they have done and now on to the bronze medal match!!! :cheer2:

ITA :respec: Uruguay

D&Sfan4ever
07-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Can somebody explain why the Brazilians welcomed home their players so differently than the Argentinians? Is it all because of Maradona? Argentina were utterly humiliated by Germany, Brazil were not by Holland. It made me sad to see Melo at the airport. :(

May be because of the highre expectations? Brazil has always been contender no.1 for a world title and they looked very strong this year, and they were definitely tha favourite against Holland, hence the schock and disappointment in their defeat.

Argentina OTOH, while always strong, wasn't the favourite to win it all, despite Leo Messi. They've had shaky qualification rounds and people had their concerns with Maradona for a long time. The fact that they looked so strong and confident at the beginning of the championship was actually a surprise.

And yes, there is also the charisma factor. Maradona is god in Argentina, while Dunga....:yawn:

Yes, it's mostly because of Maradona, people were supporting him, besides that they were proud of the team for getting that far. Dunga has been criticized for a long time, the world cup was a culmination of everything that was bad about his coaching. Maradona is not a good coach but somehow he brought hope back to the people, that can be more precious than winning. Dunga did nothing of that sort.

About the Argentinians, I was surprised as well how well they were received. And since the final was predicted to be Brazil-Argentina (all around me anyway) I don't think they expected so much less from Argentina. I guess it's Maradonna who makes the difference which beats me though.

I know this was discussed some pages ago, but since I am argentinian, I think I can try to explain the difference.
Is true, we thought the team could, and should, make it to the final, Maradona was a factor, and at the same time we were proud at how far the team had gone in this world cup.
Argentina had a hard time when trying to qualify for the World Cup, Madarona was resisted as a coach for that reason, and everybody felt that we had just squeased in at the last second and that the players were not giving all they could when they played at the national team.
But even before the tournament even begun, actually, I think it was when we defeated Germany at the begining of the year, the country sorta gave the coach and the players a second chance. Everybody stopped critisising them and hoped for the best.
Then, we defeated Canada 5-0.
And you all saw the first 4 games of this World Cup.
For a team that last year was a big question mark, this was huge. Everybody dared to dream. Finally the team was winning convincingly. Finally it seamed like Maradona actually knew how to coach a team into a thriump.
Of course, eventually one has to wake up. A 0-4 will do that in a second.
But still, they gave us 3 weeks of pure joy. And that, in a country where you have to have eyes in your back to merely survive the different, and ciclic, economic crises, and bad, stupid or useless presidents, it's like a gift from the Gods.
That's why they were welcomed with arms wide open.
And another thing, no one would have showed up if they felt "betrayed" or angry at the team or the coach. It's not common here to go to recibe a team just to insult them, we show them what we think simply by not showing up when they arrive.

Sorry, can't help it! There's something wrong with Argentina and their obsession with "godlike" Maradona ... he may appear on random stages and just let a few, stinky, random farts ... and people will still down on their knees and praise him ... :duh: :wall: :scream:

Because, Zokko, Maradona, with all his faults, gave the country a World Cup and a second place finish at the next one. At Italy '90, he played the entire World Cup virtually in one leg, his ankle was the sice of an orange, and he still managed to get us to the final (with the help of Goycochea, our goalie, of course) when other players would have gone home to heal. Also, keep in mind that football is here the most watched, played and followed sport by a huge margin.
He has had his ups and downs, but he keeps coming back, showing that there is a ray of hope at the end of every tunnel for many people.
Finally, because he speaks his mind. True, he speaks to much, but its what he thinks, he won't lie or keep something for himself because its "politically correct" and that is something deeply valued here.

Really
07-06-2010, 11:52 PM
My Dutch friend is very happy today.

ballettmaus
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm going to disagree with that - any team - and their supporters - will tell you that winning at this level is what matters - regardless how ugly and boring it may be to others. Lose and you go home (or the 3-4 play off game in this case), win you make the WC final. Sure I'd love to see an entertaining match - but if it's my team out there (and for the record my boys went home at the round of 16) I want the win first, entertainment second.

But a team who plays like crap and wins doesn't necessarily deserve to win and isn't necessarily the better team. So while the Netherlands might have won each game, they still don't play the best soccer.
It's great for them that they won, I was rooting for them but I cannot say that I was captured by the game.
So, winning matters to the team, of course it does. But to me, winning doesn't determine who's the better team and who deserves something.

ballettmaus
07-06-2010, 11:59 PM
BTW I love that Robben and Sneijder who were :kickass: from Real Madrid have taken Holland to the final HA! :EVILLE:

Robben plays at Bayern München :confused:

allezfred
07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Go Spain! Go Germany! :cheer2:

deedeelocks
07-07-2010, 12:39 AM
... :swoon:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :40beers:

Yes, I know we've been playing shit football (but effective!), and yes, I know it wasn't very entertaining, but we have been entertaining for like 30 or more years and it never really got us anywhere or anything (except ok '88) .
Now... finally.... we are in the final. :cheer2: :swoon:

I hope for Germany to meet us there... :D a lot of Dutch people have been waiting for something like this since '74 ;)

beepbeep
07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
V is for Vuvuzela (http://wp.clicrbs.com.br/foradeserie/files/2010/06/vdevuvuzela.jpg) :D

Don't know if someone posted this before...

I really wanted Uruguay to win today... :(

I'll be glad whoever wins tomorrow (but a little bit more if Germany wins :shuffle:)

bek
07-07-2010, 03:08 AM
But a team who plays like crap and wins doesn't necessarily deserve to win and isn't necessarily the better team. So while the Netherlands might have won each game, they still don't play the best soccer.
It's great for them that they won, I was rooting for them but I cannot say that I was captured by the game.
So, winning matters to the team, of course it does. But to me, winning doesn't determine who's the better team and who deserves something.

I didn't realize that being prettier made you the better team. I mean I can see why people would definetly prefer exciting football vs grit it out football. But my suspician is that sometimes in order to win, its well frankly NOT going to be well pretty. Especially when it comes to well defense. In basketball we can have players that are all about showboating etc, making crazy shots etc. But a lot of times these teams lose because the crazy moves don't always work, and sometimes simplier is way more effective. To be frank basketball is a team sport, and at times it actually can be frustrating watch teams that don't understand this basic concept. Football too-team sport. It seemed to me watching Argentina, that most of the time it felt like they were just relying on Messi to score. Because he was constantly getting the ball. Now Messi from what I understand amazing player. But Messi alone was not going to win the tournment with teams as good as Spain and Germany. Why Argentina didn't start changing around their offense to have well a way better system.

Other players from Spain will have to step up if they want to beat Germany too. It doesn't mean though that creativity doesn't have its place. It definetly does because it involves out thinking your opponents.

My sneaking susicipian is that probably the best teams are teams that combine creativity and the ability to play HARD/nitty gritty football. Using both areas when its the smartest time to use them. I think its the same in basketball.

One thing I will say about the Dutch is that I noticed that for example against Brazil they DID attack a lot. So even if they may not have the prettiest offense, they do focus a lot on it.

I guess what I'm saying is I personally will never disrespect a team who plays hard grit it out defense as a basketball fan and now a football fan. Of course though offense IS important to, and I was glad to see Spain come out ahead of Parguay because in the end of course the most important thing is to score. And if you don't have the ability to score you don't deserve to win.

dots
07-07-2010, 03:20 AM
*DEVASTATED* :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

URUGUAY :fragile: :fragile: :fragile:

Buzz
07-07-2010, 03:34 AM
*DEVASTATED* :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

URUGUAY :fragile: :fragile: :fragile:

I feel your pain.... At least they can still win the bronze.