PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) - Voulez-vous vuvuzeler avec moi ce soir?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Loves_Shizuka
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I reeeeeeeeeeally hope the Netherlands beat Uruguay and mae it to the final.

sweetsparky
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
But I have to say I have a problem with Suarez's purposely handball. That seemed... unsportsmanlike. Ghana was robbed!

Of course it was, but he was expelled and will lose next SF match for sure, maybe even more, considering how deliberate that hand looked and how obvious was the goal chance prevented.

Anyway strategically was the better option, he gave his team a slight chance that depended of Ghana wasting the penal. So Ghana just wuzrobbed themselves of converting a penalty in the last minute what is certainly shocking.

quintia
07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Uruguay!!!! :cheer: What an insane game...

oleada
07-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll be rooting for Netherlands next match for sure, anyway.
I know Ghana wuzrobbed themselves by the penalty, but the handball just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

sweetsparky
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I know Ghana wuzrobbed themselves by the penalty, but the handball just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand it. The worst part is that it wasn´t even the goalkeeper who stopped it. I guess Gyan was really nervous cause he had just qualification in his boots :(

Buzz
07-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Sad for Ghana and CRUSHED for Brazil! :wuzrobbed: But happy for Uruguay! :cheer2:

ballettmaus
07-02-2010, 10:58 PM

It wasn't the first and won't be the last. A Brazilian player used his hand twice in that one game against Ivory Coast, claimed afterwards that he didn't (when the referee asked him) and wasn't even punished for lying.
I don't see a problem with the hand, well, obviously there is a problem but there are rules for it and all of them were followed. What are the odds that a penalty will miss? They're slim which is why a penalty is given.

I didn't see the game Ghana-Australia but I remember the commentators and experts saying that Australia was awarded a red card which wasn't justified and I think the penalty Ghana got in that game wasn't either. (justified that is) So, Australia was likely to win that game and then Ghana wouldn't even have advanced to the next round. Where's the justice in that?
Ghana got justice for what Uruguay did wrong. And as I said, it's not the first time it happened and won't be the last. That's what the rules are for. Ghana blew their chance.

I think if anything should leave a bitter taste then it's when the rules aren't followed which happened more than enough during this world cup. But there is no reason for a bitter taste. It would have been bitter had the red card not been given and the penality not awarded. Then Ghana would have been robbed. But this way, the rules were followed and the only ones to blame are Ghana themselves... after all, they had 120 minutes to score one more goal than Uruguay. Blaming it on that use of hand is sort of silly in comparison.

itsartemis
07-02-2010, 11:01 PM
So Uruguay now has a hand of God as well. :(

dots
07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
A bittersweet victory for sure...

fragoletta
07-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I guess Gyan was really nervous cause he had just qualification in his boots :(

To be honest, given the way he blew off this penalty, I think even without it and its added drama Ghana was going to lose. After all, the penalty shots after the continued time put all the footballers under that same pressure, what if Gyan was the last to shoot and it all depended on him? I can't even imagine that kind of pressure, I still remember watching Fabio Grosso scoring the last one for Italy 4 years ago at the final...man, he must have had nerves of steel, knowing that not only one match but the whole freaking championship was in his boots :P

Anyway, I really was impartial between Ghana and Uruguay, cause I am so happy for Holland! :cheer2: I admit, I didn't thought it would be possible but wheeee :cheer: I only got to see the 2d half but I was in an English pub in the heart of Milan surrounded by tens of loud Brazilians and a few Dutch with 2 Bulgarians to keep me company! It was :rofl:

Orable
07-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Now that Brazil's out ( :fragile: ) I'll be rooting for Oranje, Hup Holland! :cheer2:

bek
07-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by oleada

In fairness to Suarez though, its not like this was something deliberately planned. I don't watch the sport much, but the guy had maybe a what split second? He could have been acting on part instinct. He looked actually upset right afterwards when Ghana was going to get a free shot, probably thinking he could have blocked it another way..

To call it a sporting injustice like Ghana's head coach called it, I don't think is particularly fair. I may not watch the sport much but if the sport wanted to make a handball an automatical goal for the opposing team, then they would have done so. Suarez was punished according to the rules.

I don't know what the culture is like in soccer/football. But as someone who played basketball a bit, I remember being taught that there are times when you have to foul to stop an easy basket. I'm wondering if this is the same thing but rather a much harshier penalty for the foul.

oleada
07-03-2010, 05:57 AM
I think most people would have reacted that way, given the intensity of the moment. But do I like it? No.

bek
07-03-2010, 06:24 AM
I think most people would have reacted that way, given the intensity of the moment. But do I like it? No.

I think though that plays like that can make the sport exciting, when you think about it. It brings talk. I don't know but it seems to me that there has to be choices like that available for players.. I.e big time penalty, but stopping the ball from going in the net..

I'm much more upset when I see players in any sport deliberately do things to injure other players or that could injure other players. Than stopping a ball from going in the net. Suarez essentially made a calculated/risk trade, and when you think about it the player who shot the ball in the net-right at Sourez, put Sourez in the position to make that trade.

deedeelocks
07-03-2010, 06:24 AM
aah Suarez... I never liked him to begin with :P For me he's like the C. Ronaldo of the Dutch league... :D

Anyway, I'm sad for Ghana/Africa... :(