PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping becoming a luxury at hotels

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

Southpaw
06-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Oooh - so did mine - and it sat on top of the tank.

But of course. Where else to put it? :lol:

milanessa
06-27-2010, 02:18 AM
In pink.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=318121.0

Southpaw
06-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Crap. Now I want to pull out my knitting needles.

Karina1974
06-27-2010, 03:30 AM
I think I'd rather hang wet towels there to dry than have all that "pretty" spoiled by the very attractive towels on the door knobs you mentioned. :duh:

Exactly. That's why towel racks are put in bathrooms, to give you space to hang up your wet towels, unfolded, to dry.

I don't have "decorative" towels in my bathroom, and neither do my parents. Neither did my grandparents either, and, considering they would all be in their 100's if they were still alive, they were far more "old school" than anyone here (for the poster who thought this was a '50's thing). There were 5 people in my house when I was growing up (3 bedrooms -- I slept in the attic -- and one bath), and 10 in my paternal grandparents' -- you learn very quickly to use wisely whatever space you have and not to waste it on frivolities like fancy towels and the like. I've picked up on that, because I don't have them either, and I live in a household of one.

Norlite
06-27-2010, 04:00 AM
My next door neighbor has them but she's 85 years old. I always thought it was a 50's household thing. Other than next door I don't know anyone else that does.

This was done in the 70's, when I first got married. By almost everyone I knew. I'm sure it was a decorating leftover from my parents generation.

No one I know still does it though. Except perhaps people my parents age. (and apparently a couple others)

cruisin
06-27-2010, 04:00 AM
I think I'd rather hang wet towels there to dry than have all that "pretty" spoiled by the very attractive towels on the door knobs you mentioned. :duh:

My grandmother had those, but had another rack for towels to dry.

I have wall mounted towel bars. And the only doorknob that gets attacked with wet towels is the one in the master bathroom. :lol: I always take it off and put it in the hamper, my husband is just lazy :lol:. But that bathroom holds the dampness and nothing dries. That hopefully will change soon though, we are gutting it. The shower is leaking into the sub floor. We are putting a new window in, one that opens!

I don't have a guest bathroom. Or guest towels. I must be a cretin. :shuffle: My bath towel dries on a hook hanging on the door. I have hand towels on the rack that whoever uses the bathroom uses to dry their hands.

I have hand towels on a ring next to the sinks. They are used. It is the big decorative towels that are not used. And I have a linen closet full of regular towels, right next to the master bath stall shower. No one uses the tub shower in the main bathroom, and there is no shower in the downstairs bathroom, it's just a powder room.

Pretty is in the eye of the beholder. My bathrooms are decorated, I guess, but it's with lithographs and plants. Oh, and there's a copper birdbath with Florida seashells in it in the half-bath. :lol:

I have water colors on my bathroom walls, but no plants, not enough light. And I have a brown thumb, I am terrible with plants. :lol:

I had no idea that my decorative towels would cause such a commotion :lol:
As I already said - to each his own.

my little pony
06-27-2010, 04:03 AM

I blame you for outing me

cruisin
06-27-2010, 04:08 AM
I blame you for outing me

:lol: Sorry! But someone has to buy and display all of those "pretty" towels :D! We're just too cool, that's it! :lol:

Okay, I never had a toilet paper cover, my grandma did, she also crocheted them for church fairs. I never had a tissue box cover either.

Does anyone remember the trend for making big caftan style robes out of oversized bath towels? That was quite the rage in the 60s. The more psychedelic the towel, the better. http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbian7/sets/765026/detail/

Prancer
06-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Does anyone remember the trend for making big caftan style robes out of oversized bath towels? That was quite the rage in the 60s. The more psychedelic the towel, the better. http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbian7/sets/765026/detail/

:yikes: My mom made me one like this as a swimsuit coverup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbian7/35721831/in/set-765026/

I don't know where she found the towels, but that thing weighed about 10 pounds and I weighed about 40 or so. I don't think I ever wore it anywhere, but sometimes I put it in on in the winter after a bath.

Japanfan
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Well, not everyone has the luxury of an en-suite or second bathroom.

My towels match the colors in the bathroom and are also functional in that they serve their purpose as towels.

If I had a second bathroom I would probably again have towels that matched the colors of a room. But I think I'd draw the line at decorative borders - a towel is a towel is a towel. A fluffy towel is nice, but only when you use it.

And if you have a decorative border on your towels in the second bathroom, I would assume you anticipate people using that bathroom and admiring the towels? But wouldn't they also need to use those towels, given that they used the bathroom?

Cyn
06-27-2010, 12:20 PM
My grandmother used to make these gadgets (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5L213Ip_Dg4/SSMPEpSQVYI/AAAAAAAACCA/c26ATPSZVz4/s320/doll+5.jpg) to hide the toilet paper.

My great-grandmother always had one sitting on the top of the commode tank - the woman was a sewing/knitting/crocheting freak, and when I was four or five, I could have sworn she had either 20 or 30 toilet-paper cover dolls. If not, she must have had a whole wardrobe for them - a wedding dress, several varieties of ball gowns, a Christmas/Snow Queen, the characters from Little Women (all knitted, of course :lol: ), but my absolute favorite was the one modeled after Scarlett O'Hara's green "portieres" dress in GWTW.

I may or may not have been caught several times trying to strip the TP doll of that ensemble so my Barbie could have a new dress :saint:

Oh, in addition to the TP-covering dolls, did anyone else's grandmother's/great-grandmother's bathroom also have a glass jar similar to these (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rj_nIT5XXsU/Sl21VgTUf9I/AAAAAAAAC3I/TzhJVMyDcHQ/s400/Apothecary+jars_destination+hardware.jpg) filled with bath oil balls (usually red or pink, but always rose-scented) but nearly always coated with at least 10 years of dust?

cruisin
06-27-2010, 02:33 PM
:yikes: My mom made me one like this as a swimsuit coverup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbian7/35721831/in/set-765026/

I don't know where she found the towels, but that thing weighed about 10 pounds and I weighed about 40 or so. I don't think I ever wore it anywhere, but sometimes I put it in on in the winter after a bath.

That is exactly the pattern my mom used. And she put ball fringe on them! :scream: They were very heavy, but warm in the winter. I'm thinking that I should get my sewing machine out :D!

Well, not everyone has the luxury of an en-suite or second bathroom.

All I did was say that I have decorative towels in my bathrooms. I got snarked up the wazzoo and for some posters it seems to annoy them that I have more than one bathroom. I'm not criticizing anyone,I'm just trying to explain why I like decorative towels. I like the way they finish a bathroom. No one else has to. But I don't get why my having them has caused such criticism. Sheesh! I think the fuzzy covers on toilet seats look silly, but I wouldn't rag on someone if they had them.

And if you have a decorative border on your towels in the second bathroom, I would assume you anticipate people using that bathroom and admiring the towels? But wouldn't they also need to use those towels, given that they used the bathroom?

It seems that everyone keeps missing the point here. I have a brass towel bar on the wall facing the toilet in the powder room - I have large decorative towels hanging on it for decoration. There is no shower and no reason to use the big towels. The sink is on the other side of the room, on the wall next to the sink is a towel ring with hand towels that ARE used. The ones on the bigger towel bar are for show, they are not washed, not used, they are like curtains - decoration. In my upstairs bathrooms the towel bars are not next to the tub or shower - they have decorative towels on them. the big fluffy towels that we use are in the closet/on shelves right next to the tub/shower. No guest that has stayed at my house has ever used the decorative towels, the towels for use are right there for them (and they are fluffier and bigger, anyway).

Do any of you have small throw pillows on your beds? In addition to the regular pillows with pillow cases - the little decorative pillows that match the comforter or bedspread? Do you sleep on them? Probably not, they would be ruined from saliva or get misshapen. It's the same thing. A pillow is a pillow, but some you wouldn't use to sleep on.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=286174&CategoryID=44455

Wouldn't you take the small pillows off the bed ^^ before you went to sleep?

Norlite
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't have decorative pillows on my bed.

But mlp probably has them.

milanessa
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
:lol: I think you're taking this way too seriously, cruisin. Of course your house can look any way you want it to as can mine. Snark is what we do.

milanessa
06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't have decorative pillows on my bed.

But mlp probably has them.

She ironed them to death.