PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping becoming a luxury at hotels

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

cruisin
06-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I can see putting guest towels out when you actually have guests.. but not just to sit there not getting used. To me that's a waste of towel bar space :lol:

These are not guest towels.

It's like hanging curtains. It makes the room look finished. The towel bars are not that big and I wouldn't want sloppy wet towels hanging there, that's just messy. And it would ruin the finish on the brass towel bars. To each their own. But hanging decorative towels is not an unusual thing to do, as I said, most people I know do it. My daughter just moved into an apartment with a former college roommate. They are 25 and 24. The roommate bought decorative towels for the bathroom that match the shower curtain, the bath mats, the finger towels, and the curtains. So, it's not an age thing, maybe it's an area thing. These are towels that would be ruined if they got used, they don't wash well, the embroidery gets lumpy.

genevieve
06-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, what are the big bath-sized guest towels used for? If nothing, wouldn't it be a cleaner look to just not hang towels there?

cruisin
06-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, what are the big bath-sized guest towels used for? If nothing, wouldn't it be a cleaner look to just not hang towels there?

They are decorated. They add color to the room. They are pretty. They are folded neatly with the borders showing and usually have a smaller towel over the top. It's a decoration, like a curtain.

my little pony
06-27-2010, 12:27 AM
My next door neighbor has them but she's 85 years old. I always thought it was a 50's household thing. Other than next door I don't know anyone else that does.

I have them. I thought everyone had them. Does this mean guests don't know they aren't supposed to touch them?

PDilemma
06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
They are decorated. They add color to the room. They are pretty. They are folded neatly with the borders showing and usually have a smaller towel over the top. It's a decoration, like a curtain.

I think I'd rather hang wet towels there to dry than have all that "pretty" spoiled by the very attractive towels on the door knobs you mentioned. :duh:

My grandmother had those, but had another rack for towels to dry.

Jenny
06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
And here I thought it was important to decorate for visual appeal *and* practical use. Silly me.

Really
06-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't have a guest bathroom. Or guest towels. I must be a cretin. :shuffle: My bath towel dries on a hook hanging on the door. I have hand towels on the rack that whoever uses the bathroom uses to dry their hands.

milanessa
06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Pretty is in the eye of the beholder. My bathrooms are decorated, I guess, but it's with lithographs and plants. Oh, and there's a copper birdbath with Florida seashells in it in the half-bath. :lol:

Prancer
06-27-2010, 12:34 AM
I have them. I thought everyone had them. Does this mean guests don't know they aren't supposed to touch them?

I think a lot of people think they are there for decoration.

And then there are people like me who don't like to use them because they are invariably much prettier than they are effective :shuffle:.

allezfred
06-27-2010, 01:32 AM
allezfred, if you've never seen decorative bath towels in bathrooms, you must not get out much :D:P. Almost every home I've ever been in has them.

Oh, I get out enough. I just dry my hands with whatever towels are available in a bathroom no matter how decorative they look. I bet there are people who do the same when they come around to your place. :D

genevieve
06-27-2010, 01:58 AM
And then there are people like me who don't like to use them because they are invariably much prettier than they are effective :shuffle:.
True.

And I thought curtains were to be used too (er...not to wipe hands on :P ).

This thread did inspire me to do a deep clean on my bathroom this afternoon :saint:

Southpaw
06-27-2010, 02:08 AM
My grandmother used to make these gadgets (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5L213Ip_Dg4/SSMPEpSQVYI/AAAAAAAACCA/c26ATPSZVz4/s320/doll+5.jpg) to hide the toilet paper.

genevieve
06-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Were the guests allowed to touch it? :EVILLE:

milanessa
06-27-2010, 02:11 AM
My grandmother used to make these gadgets (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5L213Ip_Dg4/SSMPEpSQVYI/AAAAAAAACCA/c26ATPSZVz4/s320/doll+5.jpg) to hide the toilet paper.

Oooh - so did mine - and it sat on top of the tank.

Jenny
06-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Mine too - no doll though, it was shaped like a straw hat with a ribbon and fake flower in the band. I guess TP was something ladies did not acknowledge back in the day. :drama: