PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping becoming a luxury at hotels

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

mmscfdcsu
06-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I like fresh towels, though I don't use a fresh towel every time at home. :shuffle: The sheets don't bother me. I change them every 5 or 6 days at home, and could live with that at a hotel as well. I guess that part of the reason for that is that I prefer to shower at night. I am always squeeky clean when I get into bed. I have no romantic relationship right now, so how dirty are the sheets going to get in one night? :P

snoopy
06-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Ditto on those who say sheets don't need to be washed but prefer clean towels. But I put up with consistently damp towels rather than fuss about it EXCEPT for wash cloths. I am a wash cloth fiend. I want a fresh dry wash cloth every time. I own over 50 wash cloths (which I also use as hand towels because I don't need a big old hand towel to wipe my face each time I brush my teeth.) If people ever stop by when I am doing laundry and see me in the middle of my marathon of wash cloth folding, they are always :eek:

agalisgv
06-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Am I supposed to have towels draped all over the doors in my home? Do you not have towel racks? They have stand alone ones that are heated so they dry very quickly without any mildew forming. Course most racks that aren't heated will do the same.

Prancer
06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
If people ever stop by when I am doing laundry and see me in the middle of my marathon of wash cloth folding, they are always :eek:

Where do you store them all? :eek:

The last three expensive hotels I've stayed in (expensive meaning I paid a lot more than I normally do for a hotel) have had dirty rooms. I'm not at all picky and I'm definintely no germophobe and I don't expect clean sheets every day, etc., but even I don't like seeing dirty carpets because only the middle of the room gets vacuumed and hair in the bathtub.

OTOH, I've read that maids have to average around 12 minutes per room to keep pace. That's not easy to do and then you get things like this: http://www.snotr.com/video/662

KikiSashaFan
06-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Ditto on those who say sheets don't need to be washed but prefer clean towels. But I put up with consistently damp towels rather than fuss about it EXCEPT for wash cloths. I am a wash cloth fiend. I want a fresh dry wash cloth every time. I own over 50 wash cloths (which I also use as hand towels because I don't need a big old hand towel to wipe my face each time I brush my teeth.) If people ever stop by when I am doing laundry and see me in the middle of my marathon of wash cloth folding, they are always :eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I change my towels every 3 or 4 days, but I use a new facecloth every single time I wash my face.

cruisin
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Do you not have towel racks? They have stand alone ones that are heated so they dry very quickly without any mildew forming. Course most racks that aren't heated will do the same.

No, I don't have towel racks. I have one towel bar and I have decorative towels on it that are not used. And as I said above, my bathroom doesn't have much ventilation, so towels that are left hanging over a doorknob or the top of the door, don't dry. In fact, the door knob that my husband likes to hang towels on gets mildew around it on the door. As I said, the towels smell if I leave them hang to dry (actually not dry, damp), that is from bacteria growth from being damp. Would you want to dry off with that?

For those of you who do not wash towels each time you use one: How many showers do you take a day? Do you shower every day? Do you wash your jeans, t-shirts, blouses, pajamas, bras each time you wear them? I don't. I wear clothing several times before I wash it. The only clothing I wash after one day of wearing is panties. I also, always do big loads of wash to save on water. I have "green" toilets in my house - half flush for liquids, full flush for solids. As I said above, we all can be considered wasteful with water, it's all perspective.

allezfred
06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Forget about asking how many people wash their clothes every time they use them. I want to know how many people have decorative towels in their bathroom. :eek: :lol:

kwanfan1818
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Forget about asking how many people wash their clothes every time they use them. I want to know how many people have decorative towels in their bathroom. :eek: :lol:
That's pretty standard in most of the houses in which I've been, especially if there is a guest bathroom. Those decorative towels are usually guest towels, and I remember reading a letter to Miss Manners asking for advice on how to get the guests to actually use them at parties. She suggested crumpling up one and putting it in the discard basket (for washing, not trash) as an example, since no one wants to be the first, and people aren't sure whether or not to use them.

I've never known anyone who didn't expect them to be used, though.

allezfred
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
If people are using them/are expected to use them, doesn't that by definition mean they aren't decorative? ;)

milanessa
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
That's pretty standard in most of the houses in which I've been, especially if there is a guest bathroom.

My next door neighbor has them but she's 85 years old. I always thought it was a 50's household thing. Other than next door I don't know anyone else that does.

kwanfan1818
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
If people are using them/are expected to use them, doesn't that by definition mean they aren't decorative? ;)
Guest towels tend to be fancy, not regular towels, and they decorate the guest bathroom until someone goes in and tries to figure out whether to use them, or to dry their hands using toilet paper or their clothes.

zhenya271
06-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Coincidentally, my husband mentioned that he gets complimentary shower pouffs at the hotel he is staying at in Manila, PI. Now that is something, I would definitely use.

He showed me on sykpe as he thought it was something I would be happy to know that he was using! :lol:

genevieve
06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
My next door neighbor has them but she's 85 years old. I always thought it was a 50's household thing. Other than next door I don't know anyone else that does.
We had them growing up, in our downstairs bathroom - but they were for everyone, including us. I'm pretty sure my grandmother had them too.

cruisin
06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
I have a brass towel bar in each of my bathrooms. I have nice towels hanging there that go with the colors in the room. Then I have a brass towel ring, next to the sink with guest towels on it. The big, bath sized decorative towels are not to be used for showers, etc. The decorative hand towels, near the sink, are to be used. I like the bathrooms to be neat. I don't want a bunch of wet crumpled towels hanging all over them.

allezfred, if you've never seen decorative bath towels in bathrooms, you must not get out much :D:P. Almost every home I've ever been in has them.

For your amazement and enlightenment: :lol:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stylePage.asp?RN=274&

bobalina77
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I can see putting guest towels out when you actually have guests.. but not just to sit there not getting used. To me that's a waste of towel bar space :lol: