PDA

View Full Version : Housekeeping becoming a luxury at hotels

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

cruisin
06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Question for everyone: Which would you rather have - clean towels every day or clean linens every day? Which one would you care most about losing?

Me, for under a week they don't have to change my linens at all, but towels every day. Even just cutting back on washing the bedding would save lots of water and $$$. And they don't have to provide all of the tiny bottles of stuff (like shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer). Those little plastic bottles are not green and people can bring larger bottles with them. All they need to provide is bar soap. And the rest of the stuff only on request (for those who may have forgotten something).

agalisgv
06-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Just curious cruisin, but do you wash your towels after just one use (including hand towels) at home?

genevieve
06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
If I were that freaked about towels, I'd bring my own. And I certainly would bring my own towels if I knew I was going to ruin the hotel ones with spray tan :eek: That's just common sense.

ETA: to answer cruisin's questions, I'd lose both linens and towels. I don't need either of them replaced daily.

agalisgv
06-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I certainly would bring my own towels if I knew I was going to ruin the hotel ones with spray tan :eek: That's just common sense. Yeah, to me that falls into the category of destruction of property--I can't imagine doing that intentionally. Anyone who did that should be charged with replacement of those towels since it's not like they can be used again.

Very, very thoughtless.

CynicElle
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
If I'm just staying for a couple of days, the only thing I really need replaced daily are the coffee fixins -- Mr. Elle and I are coffee fiends. I don't replace my linens and towels every day at home, so I don't need that done in a hotel.

overedge
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Replacing towels and sheets is one thing, but how about actually cleaning the room? The last few times I've stayed in hotels, I've seen evidence that e.g. the tub has not been wiped down during the daily cleaning. I know this because there was a hair that was definitely not mine in the tub when I checked in....and it was still there after the room had (allegedly) been cleaned the next day. I see stuff like this happening more and more.

I would sooner see the hotel staff spend their time on actually cleaning the room than on frills like "turndown service" at night. Which, at the last hotel I stayed at, arrived at 4 pm in the afternoon.

genevieve
06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, yeah, cleaning between guests should be a given :scream:

liv
06-25-2010, 08:46 PM
When I was a housekeeper at some swanky resorts during summers while at university, we would not replace sheets until there was a new guest. That made perfect sense to me. We didn't always replace towels, but if they were visibly dirty or very wet, we'd replace them or make sure the correct number was there. What we made sure we did do for the "stays" as we called them, was make sure the sheets were tight and hospital corners were redone etc on the beds. If the place really needed vacuuming we'd do that, fireplaces would have wood restocked etc. All things like coffee, shampoos were replaced if empty, garbages emptied, and the bathroom was cleaned, or at least everything was dried, no water spots on the mirror etc...although toilets that were dirty were cleaned with soap. It wasn't a cleaning, ie things were dried rather than washed with soap and then dried, but it was made to look tidy. Sometimes I would fold pyjamas if they were lying about, but now as I'm older, I realize I don't want some random person touching my pj's!

These days I would expect the same. I don't need new sheets, can live without new towels if they are clean (just need to dry), but I like to see my bed straightened and everything generally tidy. Because I was trained to have everything 'just so,' (the hangers had to be counted and arranged, the curtains had to be folded the right away, even the pamphlets arranged a certain way) I find that when I do stay somewhere I'm very critical about how things are done now, lol!

cruisin
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Just curious cruisin, but do you wash your towels after just one use (including hand towels) at home?

Bath towels, yes, they get washed after every use. I can't stand the smell of towels that stay damp. Hand towels, no, they get used for a day or two. But the hand towels are on a towel rod and they dry. I have no place to let the bath towels dry adequately.

bobalina77
06-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah, to me that falls into the category of destruction of property--I can't imagine doing that intentionally. Anyone who did that should be charged with replacement of those towels since it's not like they can be used again.

Very, very thoughtless.

Yeah I was gonna say something but decided to keep my mouth shut until someone else does. But seriously that's just rude. The hotel may be able to keep those towels to use the next year, but they still have to replace those towels and sheets that are now ruined because most places don't have THAT many extra towels and sheets.

People who don't respect the property are my biggest pet peeve.

zhenya271
06-26-2010, 01:09 AM
I convince myself that they wash the sheets and towels in boiling hot water with some bleach (that's why they are always white :)). So, in my mind any germs are killed. But, then they are handled with hands that are likely not washed between rooms, so... but, if I think about that, I will never leave home :lol:.

I too have seen the "green" signs in hotels for at least the last 10 years, it's nothing new. And I want to know what hotels the author of the article stays in that changes the sheets every day. I always thought protocol was every 3 days, unless you are staying for less than 3 days (:D). And even 3 days is more than necessary.

I like to bring my own pillowcases and first thing that happens when I get into the room is remove those comforters into a corner or stash them into the closet. I don't worry so much about the ones w/ duvets because I would like to think those are getting washed with the sheets.
You are right though, you can't think of everything or you would never leave the house and we do like to travel!

zhenya271
06-26-2010, 01:14 AM
I was told at a hotel in New Jersey that it's state law for housecleaning to come in at least every two days in order to ensure that nothing illegal was occurring, e.g. a temporary meth lab hadn't been set up. Maybe they thought I looked like I was up to no good...

LOL! I have seen this rule in some military temporary lodging, but for the most part most housekeeping staff seem to appreciate one less room to take care of, the only ones that I noticed that seemed to be a bit put off were German staff because they take their cleaning so seriously and don't like anyone to mess with their efficient order of doing things.:confused::lol:

MacMadame
06-26-2010, 01:34 AM
I don't mind not getting clean sheets every day but I do mind about the towels when I'm staying with my family. I really don't want to have to remember who used what towel and there aren't really enough racks to hang 4 towels out to dry and have them actually dry. Wet towels the next day are disgusting!

WindSpirit
06-26-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't like having hotel staff come through my room anyway, so I'm all for it. Same here. Plus they often start at 7-8am. I'm either still in bed or getting ready to go out, and I don't need strangers in my room to slow me down and get in my way.

This germophobe will not hang a towel over the toilet or shower rod and then use it :scream:! I could understand the toilet (although you can close the toilet seat when you flush... which as a germophobe you should be doing it anyway), but why the shower rod? You could wipe it clean first if you think it's so dirty.

As far as cleaning - I never unpack. I don't either. I hate packing/unpacking and I would probably forget something.

Zhenya271, I hear ya! :lol: I just bring antibacterial wipes and wipe down what I need to - toilet seat, faucet handles... I get a little :eek: even about clean towels, I know that housekeeping does not wash their hands before they handle them, and they are cleaning all of the bathrooms. So, I have to mentally cope :D! If you're so afraid of germs and other things, how do you deal with the bed? The sheets may be clean, but there's other people's sweat, among other things, in the mattress.

Prancer
06-26-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't mind not getting clean sheets every day but I do mind about the towels when I'm staying with my family. I really don't want to have to remember who used what towel and there aren't really enough racks to hang 4 towels out to dry and have them actually dry. Wet towels the next day are disgusting!

ITA. I don't care about having clean sheets every day and I don't need the room cleaned if it was clean when I checked in; we're not very messy.

But I HATE getting up to shower and having all the towels wet. It's not a problem if I travel alone or just with my husband, but all four of us? Ugh.

Otherwise, I don't care if I ever have housekeeping service in a hotel as long as the room is clean when I check in.