PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Canada

Pages : 1 2 [3]

marbri
06-24-2010, 02:06 AM
My parents are in Ottawa and I got a phonecall from my mother all shaken up about 30 minutes after it happened. They felt it quite a bit, said it sounded like a freight train going by and thought maybe the furnace was about to explode (which apparently my father decided to head to the basement to check :lol:)

So once I calmed her down I chuckled and reminded her how she was disappointed that I was sending the kids to Iceland for the summer (with the earthquakes and volcanoes) and that I should send them to her where they would be safe ;)

I also told her to tell my father the next time he thinks the furnace is about to explode that it's probably best to leave the house and not head to the basement to watch it happen :lol:

liv
06-24-2010, 02:11 AM
It was felt in the Kitchener/Cambridge area of southwestern Ontario...and Woodstock, near London. It's funny, I was walking at the time and felt nothing, while others who were sitting said they felt it and they were right freaked out. One coworker was having a nap in the staff room and she said all the locks on the lockers were swaying. Everyone was talking about it and I was like, what? and I missed it?

I know there was some bad damage closer to the epi centre northeast of Ottawa, but it wasn't too bad as these things go. We are just so unused to them that we get freaked out!

Norlite
06-24-2010, 02:21 AM
........... and thought maybe the furnace was about to explode (which apparently my father decided to head to the basement to check :lol:)

I checked the basement too. The city is working on the watermains on my street and 2 big trucks were right outside my house making tons of noise all day. I wondered if the pipes into my house burst or something because of their drilling, hoping I didn't find a flood downstairs.

At the same time though, I figured it was probably an earthquake.

Strange thing about some feeling it and some not. I'm only about 160 miles from the epicentre. My house swayed quite a bit, my son said the computer monitors shook across the desks at his work, but my daughter was in the grocery store at the time and felt nothing.

figurefan
06-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Some other folks here in Cincinnati felt some shaking this afternoon but I was riding in a car at the time and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm glad everyone seems to be all right! :)

I work in Northern Kentucky just across the river from Cincinnati and some of my coworkers on the 5th floor of the building said they felt it.

KikiSashaFan
06-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Short but sweet here in Kingston. Felt like a combination of shaking and swaying to me.

I'm in Belleville. No one in my office felt a thing.

Parsley Sage
06-24-2010, 03:02 AM
I felt it in Hamilton. My office is in a trailer at the moment though and that thing shakes so much that I really didn't notice it at first.

CarolineL
06-24-2010, 03:29 AM
We have been having the driveway done at work so I just thought the workmen were back to finish the job. It felt pretty much like a truck passing by. Lots of shaking but over in about fifteen seconds (east Ottawa-Orleans). A co worker of mine was driving and felt nothing but her wheel bearings were blown off her car. Last I heard she was still waiting to be towed :(

manhn
06-24-2010, 03:45 AM
My sister lives in Montreal but didn't feel a thing. Her boyfriend, however, did feel it. Said it was like a huge truck speeding past him.

sulin
06-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I'm in Barrie and didn't feel a thing yet friends definitely felt it. Of course I was relaxing and having a facial at the time, so I suppose I could have slept through it. ;)

firefly
06-24-2010, 08:23 AM
I live in Montreal and I felt it. I was in bed and everything started shaking. It took some time to realise what was going on because we're not used to that! It lasted about 15 to 20 seconds. It was skary! Enough that my sister and I believed it was safer to go down the stairs to the first floor...I cannot imagine what it was like in Haiti and Chile last winter!

Lanie
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
According to the NJ news it was felt all the way in Hackensack, which means the Ice House must have been sha-ha-haking. I wonder what that feels like, skating on earthquake ice?

Very weird. You're moving and everything else is moving! I was at a public session during a little quake. I didn't really notice movement, I just heard all the noises and I was like, "SWEET, we're having an earthquake while I'm skating!"

I'm from California. We're used to these things. :lol:

Rex
06-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I've been in four quakes - one in Japan, three in San Diego. Survivor :respec:.

MOIJTO
06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I live in Cleveland, Ohio. The earth did not move for me. Others felt it and were talking about it though.

I live in Cleveland too!

I guess it was Canada's earthquake that I felt. I couldn't figure out why the chair I was sitting in was vibrating and her sliding glass doors were vibrating. Mom didn't feel it, but I sure did!

No jokes either! :P

Twilight1
06-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I didn't feel it at all and I was right in the middle of it. I was eating Sushi so maybe I was too engrossed with that?? :lol: