PDA

View Full Version : We're Novel Lovers (But We're All Booked Up)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Carry on.

milanessa
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
This thread title seems the perfect slogan for a popular bordello. :cool:

Prancer
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
It's a slight variation on a bookmark I have :D.

zaphyre14
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I picked up the one Falco book I haven't been able to buy from the library last night, "A Dying Light in Corduba" and moved it to the read-before-sleeping slot, which relegated "Killer Cuts" to the bathroom. :)

I also collected three more of Marcia Muller's mysteries on tape to add to the two James Patterson's I have for car-listening. So I'm either going to have to take a couple of loooooooong trips in the car over the next three weeks or dig out a cassette player and headphones at work in orsder to get through all of those.

Add to that the nearly $200 haul from B&N last week (i had a bunch of gift cards and coupons so I paid less than half that) and I think I have reading covered for a while.

rfisher
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I picked up the one Falco book I haven't been able to buy from the library last night, "A Dying Light in Corduba" and moved it to the read-before-sleeping slot, which relegated "Killer Cuts" to the bathroom. :)

:rofl: I have bedroom, bathroom, den, living room and car books all at the same time also. In fact, I have two bathrooms so there is a selection in each.

Fergus
06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks to Princess Victoria's wedding, I'm on a Scandinavian fiction kick:

The Mistress of Husaby by Undset,

The Royal Physician's Visit by Enquist,

and Music and Silence by Rose Tremain.

Matryeshka
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Finished The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Purse and found it really disappointing after The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The book doesn't really get interesting until over half-way through, and there are too many extra subplots that don't go anywhere. I understand that Bradley is setting up for the next few books, but it just muddied the waters, possibly because his mystery wasn't strong enough and instead of changing that, he added a bunch of extra filler.

I could deal with all that because I find in most mysteries, the actual mystery is the least interesting part if the characters were as good. In the first book, Flavia's sisters were kind of bratty to her, but in a mischievous, fun sort of way, and Flavia gave as good as she got. In this one, the sisters are downright vicious. The dad is more absent-minded, and there's a darkness in this one that wasn't as present in the first one. The secondary characters weren't as likeable or as fun to dislike.

But most disappointing to me was Flavia's voice--in the first one, she is precocious and does not act like your typical 11 year old, but it's written in such a way that you can suspend disbelief. In this one, she sounds more like the 50-some odd year old man that writes her, and her interest in poisons at certain points goes from being kind of naughty fun to signaling "future serial killer."

The one good thing about the book is that it gave me a new word--muddlerumpus, which basically means shenanigans. But in my head, I hear eccentric, middle-aged BBC characters in flowered dresses saying, "Mr. Thistlewaite, your addition of herring to the Earl Grey has caused a muddlerumpus of the first degree!" I'm trying to find a situation where I can combine "muddlerumpus" with "hootenany" to make the greatest, most annoying hipster sentence of all time.

Kasey
06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Just finished "Walking into the night" by Olaf Olafsson. It's a novel about the butler of William Randolph Hearst, at Hearst castle. Decent enough read, with the main character being both likeable and despicable. There's a lot of back and forth between his current station and his earlier years.

Just starting "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coehlo. About three chapters in and it's quite intriguing.

rjblue
06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Carry on.

I picked up ...

Finished ...

Just starting ...

Oh dear. *sigh*

My son-in-law gave me 11 volumes of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I'm on page 81 of the first book- The Eye of the World.

I'll be back with my review of the series in three months...I read all 11 books, bought the 12th and read it twice. Now I'm halfway through a re-read, made very enjoyable by Leigh Butler's re-read blog (http://www.tor.com/index.php?id=13372&option=com_content&view=blog), and anticipating book number 13 due out later this year.

I have books I received as Christmas gifts still unfinished and a stack of books from a library book sale that I haven't opened yet.

Apparently I've morphed from a 48 year old woman into a 16 year old boy. I can't believe I only scored 97% on the nerd test.

(But the book is amazing during the re-read. I can't believe that Jordan could write a series with 1000's of characters and so many events and individual histories and yet have so incredibly few inconsistencies. It's like Harry Potter cubed.)

Nomad
06-24-2010, 01:24 AM
I bought 42 books in the last 3 months (damn you, Feltrinelli International!) and, as usual, wanted to read them all at the same time. Finally settled on A Sultan in Palermo (http://www.amazon.ca/Sultan-Palermo-Tariq-Ali/dp/1844671011/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277338951&sr=1-3) by Tariq Ali and Passione di famiglia by Cristina Comencini.

LuckyCharm
06-24-2010, 02:17 AM
Just starting "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coehlo. About three chapters in and it's quite intriguing.

I read this one a while back. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts once you finish.

I just started The Last Child by John Hart. The premise is intriguing but it's off to a slow start. I'm hoping things pick up soon.

Evilynn
06-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I read all 11 books, bought the 12th and read it twice. Now I'm halfway through a re-read, made very enjoyable by Leigh Butler's re-read blog (http://www.tor.com/index.php?id=13372&option=com_content&view=blog), and anticipating book number 13 due out later this year.

I have books I received as Christmas gifts still unfinished and a stack of books from a library book sale that I haven't opened yet.

Apparently I've morphed from a 48 year old woman into a 16 year old boy. I can't believe I only scored 97% on the nerd test.

(But the book is amazing during the re-read. I can't believe that Jordan could write a series with 1000's of characters and so many events and individual histories and yet have so incredibly few inconsistencies. It's like Harry Potter cubed.)

I'm going to start rereading them next year, I think. I haven't read book 12 yet, because I refused to buy any more of them in hardcover. I'm half hoping I'll hate Sanderson's take on it so I can get rid of all 15 of them once I'm finished with the series. ;)

I finished 'Spirits in the Wires', and it was a middling effort from Charles de Lint. He still feels very "easy listening" to me, and I don't know if it's because his protags almost always end up with happy endings, which is a bit of an accomplishment considering how how many Newford books he's written by now. It's a pet peeve of mine when people write tech-y stuff into the plot and fall into the trap of naming the tech. It dates books quicker than Morozov can say "blonde!". :P

rjblue
06-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm half hoping I'll hate Sanderson's take on it so I can get rid of all 15 of them once I'm finished with the series. ;) Well. The Gathering Storm was the only book I had to re-read. I'm a new fan of the series, but from what I've read on the internet, I'd say the reaction to the book is 90% awesome, 8% adequate and 2% disappointed. Knowing that all the major plot points (all 485 of them) are all laid out and dictated by Jordan makes the transition to Branderson quite seamless.

Grannyfan
06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Got a gift certificate for Mother's Day and have ordered The Help, Child 44, and a Thomas Cook book not out yet, The Last Talk with Lola Faye.

PrincessLeppard
06-24-2010, 07:27 PM
I would like to comment on some books, but I have misplaced my glasses after unpacking all my crap. Or rather, I'm certain a small orange ball of fur has misplaced my glasses.

I can only read like five pages without a headache, so I am reading, in five page sittings, Who Hates Whom. It's a somewhat snarky look at how a lot of modern conflicts have arisen.

I'd like to read more than five pages at a time. Sigh.