PDA

View Full Version : ISU Championships 2013 - locations announced

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

skatak
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Giovanna ALMEIDA LETO was her name.

Jenny
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, Toronto is a better entry point than Winnipeg for international flights, I don't think anyone is saying the opposite. I don't see how Winnipeg is harder to get to than London though, right now there are 9 direct flights from Toronto to Winnipeg a day on AC alone! People still have to get from Toronto to London, so how is that any different than getting to Winnipeg from Toronto?

Like I said, a large number of people - fans, competitors, officials - can actually drive to London. Winnipeg is relatively remote - you either have to already be living there, or spend the money on flights.

In Winnipeg, you can walk to everywhere from the arena (hotel, bars, shopping, entertainment) and there are more than enough hotel rooms. This does not sound like how the situation is in London. I am sure London will put on a great Worlds, but I would hope they are done for hosting major events for awhile!

As people have been discussing in the other thread on this topic, the JLC is in downtown London, in the middle of restaurants, bars, shopping and within walking distance of several hotels.

The city did a great job of welcoming Cdns this year - billboards and banners, signs in the local businesses, many waiters etc aware of the event and asking us how it was going, etc.

I'm quite sure they can handle this, and will do it well.

oubik
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Giovanna ALMEIDA LETO was her name.

Yes, but she was from Italy, not Spain.

BTW, Worlds in London - it was really a nightmare for Czech synchro team to get their to Synchro Worlds (flights from Toronto to London was nearly on similar to price to the one from Prague to Toronto) so I am expecting big headaches for each of the travellers.

allezfred
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
BTW, Worlds in London - it was really a nightmare for Czech synchro team to get their to Synchro Worlds (flights from Toronto to London was nearly on similar to price to the one from Prague to Toronto) so I am expecting big headaches for each of the travellers.

Yeah, I think I'm not going*. It's just too much of a pain to get to (fake) London. There should be an ISU rule that you can't host Worlds in a city whose "international" airport only has scheduled flights to one other country.

Wonder if anyone will mistakenly book flights to (real) London instead. :EVILLE:

*Probably just as well seeing as I'm likely to barred from entering Canada for making fun of standing ovations and slam poetry. ;)

BittyBug
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
If they have problems with the venue, they can always move those events to another Russian city. If for instances Figure skating ice rink is not finished, they can move the those events to Moscow or St.Petersburg.:huh: It's one thing to have the venues for certain events in suburban locations that might be one or two hours outside of the main city (this is fairly common), but St. Petersburg is 1,920 km from Sochi and Moscow is 1,360 km from Sochi. It would be closer to have the event in Turkey or Georgia. :lol:

Besides, there is no way the venue will not be ready.

i love to skate
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
As people have been discussing in the other thread on this topic, the JLC is in downtown London, in the middle of restaurants, bars, shopping and within walking distance of several hotels.

There may be some hotels that are close, but these are most likely going to be the "official" hotels and all the rooms will be taken up by the ISU and Skate Canada, don't you think? Many people have said that they had difficulty in securing a hotel room, even for Nats last year...

skatingfan04
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
YAY!!!:D:D 2010 Worlds in London! I guess I'd better start saving my money now, becaue there is NO WAY I'm going to miss that.

chipso1
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
YAY!!!:D:D 2010 Worlds in London! I guess I'd better start saving my money now, becaue there is NO WAY I'm going to miss that.

I think you already have missed 2010 Worlds.

:P

Jenny
06-22-2010, 05:58 PM
There may be some hotels that are close, but these are most likely going to be the "official" hotels and all the rooms will be taken up by the ISU and Skate Canada, don't you think? Many people have said that they had difficulty in securing a hotel room, even for Nats last year...

A quick search reveals more than two dozen hotels in London; unless there are several other major events happening in the city at the same time, I can't see that it will be a problem. If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

snobben2345
06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
A quick search reveals more than two dozen hotels in London; unless there are several other major events happening in the city at the same time, I can't see that it will be a problem. If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

You’re kidding, right?

Most of the hotels are outside the downtown core. Hotel space was packed for *Nationals*, without the influx of feds and media that will arrive for a *Worlds*. And just not any Worlds – the one before 2014 Olympics. Cripes, the media & entourage surrounding Yu Na will take up one hotel all by themselves. I exaggerate, but not by much.

If you can’t get in to an “official hotel” or are unwilling to pay those prices, the only hotel space will be well outside the downtown core. That means expensive cab fares or the cost renting a car with all of the parking hassles that others have mentioned.

Still not convinced? Let’s do a little comparison, shall we? London has a population of about 450,000. The population of Victoria (2011 Nationals) has a population of 330,000, and Kingston (2010 Skate Canada) has about 150,000.

According to Trip Advisor, London has 41 hotels and 7 B&B’s.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154995-London_Ontario-Hotels.html

Victoria? 72 hotels, and 109 B&B’s
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154945-
Victoria_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia-Hotels.html

Kingston? 33 hotels and 24 B&B’s
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154992-Kingston_Ontario-Hotels.html

When the location for this year’s Skate Canada was announced, people on this board started booking hotel space fast and there was a thread in which posters reported back that some hotels started boosting rates when they figured out a major event was coming to Kingston. Which has more accommodation than London despite being about 1/3 the size.
You can’t book hotels in 2010 for 2013. London hotels now know they have a major event. When supply and demand kicks in, London’s hotel prices might start looking “real London” rates.

And it’s not like there is another decent sized city that is within commuting range with additional hotel space.

According to Tourism London, the city has about 3,300 hotel rooms in total

http://www.londontourism.ca/Meeting-Planners/Why-London

Yes, the event will sell out, especially if V/M are still competing in 2013. But that will come from the local base. The tickets are likely to be expensive/hard to get, just because so few tickets will be available. The JLC has a seating capacity for hockey of about 9,100. That’s *before* you subtract capacity for K&C, sponsor tickets, judges, broadcast booth, etc. Supply and demand again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Labatt_Centre
I hope I turn out to be wrong on this, but I can see the cost of tickets and travel putting this event out of reach for the budgets of many people on this board.

Yes, the people in London are friendly and hospitable and there’s no question that there are great dining choices near the JLC. But that’s not the real issue.

Jenny
06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
You’re kidding, right?

What's that? Sorry I can't seem to hear you over the sound of the vuvuzelas.

snobben2345
06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Ah... sound of vuvuzuelas affects your ability to read and respond to factual information? OK :P

i love to skate
06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.

You can't book a hotel room three years in advance...

Cripes, the media & entourage surrounding Yu Na will take up one hotel all by themselves. I exaggerate, but not by much.
:lol:

I hope I turn out to be wrong on this, but I can see the cost of tickets and travel putting this event out of reach for the budgets of many people on this board.

I think that's the situation I will be in but we will see what happens I guess. Hopefully Skate Canada returns to the West next year after four years in the East :)

Jenny
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I think I'm not going*. It's just too much of a pain to get to (fake) London. There should be an ISU rule that you can't host Worlds in a city whose "international" airport only has scheduled flights to one other country.

Actually, there are also direct flights to and from the important skating nations of Mexico, Jamaica and Cuba ;)

allezfred
06-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Actually, there are also direct flights to and from the important skating nations of Mexico, Jamaica and Cuba ;)

Holiday charter flights don't count. :P