PDA

View Full Version : ISU Championships 2013 - locations announced

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Squibble
06-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Also, for the people that were saying that Winnipeg is boring and there is nothing to do there....I wonder what they will think of London?

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. :hat1:

icedance21
06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
The Croation figure skating federation must have funding from the state or municipalities, because they host a surprising number of international figure skating competitions for such a small country! Annually they have the Golden Spin, Golden Bear and two other international competitions, they have already held the Euros and Junior Worlds and several JGP events.
Zagreb, Croatia also hosted the World Synchronized Skating Championships twice in 2009 and 2004, even though they aren't a synchro skating power. Croatian figure skating federation is becoming a power player! :eek:

Do we know where 2012 4CC is?
I don't think that's been announced yet. 2011 4CC are in Taipei, Taiwan. I assume 2012 will go to the U.S. or Canada, although I think Australia should get it.

I am very surprised that Sochi, Russia didn't get the 2013 Europeans or World Jrs because of the Olympics being held the next year. I do note that Sochi, Russia gets the 2013 World Single Distances Speed Skating Championships, which may serve as the test event for speed/figure skating. (?)

Italy is an outstanding choice for World Jrs since they've never hosted that before. I do hope the U.S. hosts World Jrs again soon. I hope that the 2011 Sr/Jr GPF goes to Canada, 2012 Sr/Jr GPF to the USA, and 2013 Sr/Jr GPF to France.

Michael O'C
06-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Re: London being hard to get to for Western Canadians...I've always had the opposite experience. Direct flights to London from Calgary, in the $400-range on seat sale fares. Easy peasy.

I was just wondering about that. Sounds better than going to Toronto and then finding the way- is that right?

Dortmund was a little tricky too - I flew Brisbane- Singapore- Frankfurt- Munich-Dortmund. Of course, my luggage took longer than I did. On the way out I got the train to Dusseldorf then flew to Malta.

danafan
06-22-2010, 12:20 AM
OMG London! What are the chances March break will be that week......

essence_of_soy
06-22-2010, 12:52 AM
After seeing Australia diddled out of Worlds in 2000, we'll never get a major skating event so long as Speedy is in power.

Rock2
06-22-2010, 01:43 AM

Really? You musn't get out much

Rock2
06-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I am still betting that the 2014 Olympics will be happening somewhere else. I am hoping that Miracles Will Happen.

It won't be a miracle.

If you're going to change venues you have to do it like yesterday. You can't just move an Olympic games. It's like taking a quick jog to the left on the Titanic. Can't happen.
The amount of prep required to pull off an Olympics makes it nearly impossible to coordinate inside of about five years for a winter one. The IOC pumps in a SWAT team to make things happen come hell or high water if they absolutely have to.
If any OG should have been moved it would have been Athens...a total Gong Show, but they had to hammer it through.

Jenny
06-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Flying is an absolute nightmare coming from the West. If people are flying in from other counties, this is going to be a major headache for them too I think.[

Like it or not, most of North America's population is in the East, and in fact much of it is within driving distance of London. For skaters etc and fans from outside NA, I'd have to think that Toronto is a better entry point with more direct and competitive flights.

Also, for the people that were saying that Winnipeg is boring and there is nothing to do there....I wonder what they will think of London? :P

I haven't spent any time in Winnipeg, but did go to Cdns last January. London has dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the arena, and some good shopping (I found a great used bookstore just around the corner!). For those who like to party, remember that it's a university town - there are too many bars and clubs to count, of all varieties.

i love to skate
06-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Like it or not, most of North America's population is in the East, and in fact much of it is within driving distance of London. For skaters etc and fans from outside NA, I'd have to think that Toronto is a better entry point with more direct and competitive flights.

Yes, Toronto is a better entry point than Winnipeg for international flights, I don't think anyone is saying the opposite. I don't see how Winnipeg is harder to get to than London though, right now there are 9 direct flights from Toronto to Winnipeg a day on AC alone! People still have to get from Toronto to London, so how is that any different than getting to Winnipeg from Toronto?

I haven't spent any time in Winnipeg, but did go to Cdns last January. London has dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the arena, and some good shopping (I found a great used bookstore just around the corner!). For those who like to party, remember that it's a university town - there are too many bars and clubs to count, of all varieties.

My biggest issues with London being host to Worlds are; the lack of seats at the JLC, the flight issue (it is a problem for me), and the lack of hotel rooms. In Winnipeg, you can walk to everywhere from the arena (hotel, bars, shopping, entertainment) and there are more than enough hotel rooms. This does not sound like how the situation is in London. I am sure London will put on a great Worlds, but I would hope they are done for hosting major events for awhile!

I just made the point about London being less than exciting because people were ragging on Winnipeg for being "boring" - when it fact it is a huge hub for the performing arts, is rich in culture (Cultural Capital of Canada in 2010), and has many entertainment venues (there is also two universities in Winnipeg - so no lack of night life).

ETA:
I am just immensely disappointed :(

lexeoe
06-22-2010, 04:42 AM
most likely sochi will get cup of russia in 2013.

Domshabfan
06-22-2010, 05:24 AM
It won't be a miracle.

If you're going to change venues you have to do it like yesterday. You can't just move an Olympic games. It's like taking a quick jog to the left on the Titanic. Can't happen.
The amount of prep required to pull off an Olympics makes it nearly impossible to coordinate inside of about five years for a winter one. The IOC pumps in a SWAT team to make things happen come hell or high water if they absolutely have to.
If any OG should have been moved it would have been Athens...a total Gong Show, but they had to hammer it through.

If they have problems with the venue, they can always move those events to another Russian city. If for instances Figure skating ice rink is not finished, they can move the those events to Moscow or St.Petersburg. Remember, so many of the London 2012 events have been moved outside of the city, like the Canoeing/ Kayaking, Rowing (initially the proposed site was the docklands within London) etc. so this won't be first time they had to move the venues around.

But, i am very confident Sochi 2014 will finish the venues in time. London 2012 had financial worries that forced the abandonment of a lot of venues, Sochi 2014's last of problems is financial. Plus, they are trying to bid for Football 2018 world cup... and budget for that event is just enormous. I don't think they will want to send a bad impression to FIFA(FIFA Pres. Sepp Blatter has been very favourable to Russian bid).

Ziggy
06-22-2010, 10:32 AM

The real one, not the fake one. :P

skatak
06-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, at least Portugal must have been part of the ISU, as there was a female skater from Portugal at St Gervais JPG in 2000 (the first participation of a portuguese skater I think). It's been kicked out later ?

Ziggy
06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, at least Portugal must have been part of the ISU, as there was a female skater from Portugal at St Gervais JPG in 2000 (the first participation of a portuguese skater I think). It's been kicked out later ?

Yes. She's competed for a very short time (I believe she was Spanish Portuguese and trained in Spain?) and there has been no further activity since she stopped.

skatak
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I remember she had a lonnnnng preparation into her 2A ;)