PDA

View Full Version : Shibutanis make move to the big leagues

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sylvia
06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
New article on Maia and Alex Shibutani who will make their Senior debut both nationally and internationally in the 2010-11 season: http://goldenskate.com/articles/2009/062010.shtml

ros01
06-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Cute! Thanks for posting. I've never seen them skate but have read about them for a couple of years, so I'm looking forward to seeing them on the senior circuit.

shan
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Cute! Thanks for posting. I've never seen them skate but have read about them for a couple of years, so I'm looking forward to seeing them on the senior circuit.

My favorite program of theirs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ONEuW7RxE

~tapdancer~
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
That's my favorite of theirs, too, shan. Just lovely. I so hope they have a good season this year, (hope Maia has grown an inch or two!). They are a beautiful team and another Igor team I love. Wishing them nothing but the best this year! Great article on them, too, sounds like they've got things together well.

Interesting bit about Alex moving into his own apartment...with Trevor graduating, Charlie getting another roommate (and everybody knows who that is), and Alex moving, wonder if Evan found somewhere else and the red house gang is no more?

Stephanie
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Pure speculation, but maybe Charlie is moving in with Tanith? I believe she and Ben are moving/have moved back to Detroit?

~tapdancer~
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Pure speculation, but maybe Charlie is moving in with Tanith? I believe she and Ben are moving/have moved back to Detroit?
Yeah, that's what I meant about Charlie's new roommate.

mia joy
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
The thing she's that much shorter than her brother somehow makes it difficult to fully enjoy their skating. In ice dancing the hight difference shouldn't be that big, because of the dance positions or however it's called. So I really hope she grows a bit more, in other case they'll always look a bit badly matched for me.

Also, the thing she's only 15 bothers me as well. What happened to ice dancing be the discipline where you achieve your personal best appearances at late 20s or even at 30? Is this a new trend after VM winning the Olys so young? I have to say, I don't like it very much. No matter how technically great these kids are, they would still gain maturity and elegance with age, which they likely won't because the skaters will now retire at 25 and will never get the chance truly develop in the maturity area. I know some may say they are very mature for their age, blah blah blah, and then that VM are mature too, but you all gotta know that's not true. I mean the Del/Sch, F/S, K/K kind of maturity. When you see those teams skate, you see people who have experienced sth in their lives, who have lived a bit. And what a 15 or even 20 year old can know about life anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Shibutanis or any other young team are not great skaters, I'm just saying, what's the rush?

go ahead, attack me for this comment now :P

letsskate
06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I actually agree with the comment about her height. I just rewatched the link shan posted about their FD at world junior championship, I must say, the skating quality's exquisite, beautiful skating. But I still find it very distracting due to her height. I don't think Alex's too tall, just think Maia's too short..

shan
06-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I think the height difference is more distracting in the CDs...

Stephanie
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant about Charlie's new roommate.

Sorry, obviously a dense moment from me :-/

Lanna
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Also, the thing she's only 15 bothers me as well. What happened to ice dancing be the discipline where you achieve your personal best appearances at late 20s or even at 30?

:huh: They're moving up from junior after three seasons (nationally, two internationally) at that level; this is an article about that. No one is saying they've already achieved greatness.

LilJen
06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Interesting; I would have thought they'd stay junior for one more year. However, I think their skating is definitely senior-level worthy. I'm not bothered so much by the height difference. LOVE their edges and knees and she's fabulous with her arms. (I happen to think they're better than Chock and Zuerlein, but the judges disagree, so what do I know?)

Stephanie
06-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Is the junior short dance different than the senior short dance (IIRC the proposal gave the junior short dance one additional CD pattern)? If so, this could be one of the reasons for them moving onto the senior GP, since they're moving up to seniors nationally.

lilshorty
06-21-2010, 12:10 AM
IMO she's not that much shorter than her brother to where it's jarringly awkward to watch. Maia is pretty short (even though she's only 15) for an ice dancer, but Alex isn't really tall either, so it's a good fit. I really like them, even though I've only just begun to watch them. I don't expect them to dominate so soon, but to continue to grow and improve on their maturity, basic skating, and connection on the ice. Here's to the next couple of years. :D

dancefan17
06-21-2010, 12:17 AM
I find their skating quiet, smooth and elegant and I think their choreography plays to their strengths (as well as their size difference). Having said that, I couldn't help wondering if the judging/lower scores at the last two Junior Worlds (albeit they had some minor mistakes) was because of the height difference. Will be anxious to see if they can do as well as they are capable of internationally at the Senior level.