PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Othman retires from competition

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eislauffan
06-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Jamal Othman sent out a press release this morning, announcing his retirement from competitive skating. He will study in Malaysia, coach skating there and would still like to skate in shows.

MikiAndoFan#1
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Aw, that's too bad.

:(

I hope he becomes a great coach!

:cheer2:

HisWeirness
06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Sad to hear, but I wish him success in his new endeavors. I really enjoyed watching him skate.

Eislauffan
06-19-2010, 01:37 PM
This is an excerpt from the press release (English translation at the end of the German text).

(...) Sehr, sehr lange habe ich nachgedacht, mich mit den Leuten, die mir nahe stehen, unterhalten, studiert, und auf mein Herz gehört. Ich liebe das Eiskunstlaufen, es hat mich unglaubliches erleben lassen und es hat denjenigen aus mir gemacht, der ich heute bin.
Es ist sehr schade kann ich an den Europameisterschaften 2011 bei mir zu Hause in Bern nicht mehr auf dem Eis stehen. Aber meine Entscheidung hing von so viel mehr und grösseren Faktoren ab. Es ist Zeit geworden für mich, einen Schritt weiter zu gehen im Leben.
Als Empfänger des „Limkokwing Foundation for Creative Excellence“ Stipendiums werden mir an einer top modernen Universität der Künste die Studiengebühren gänzlich erlassen. Also werde ich nach Kuala Lumpur ziehen, wo ich das Studium in Event Management beginne.
Ich schliesse ein Kapitel, habe jedoch auf keinen Fall vor das Eislaufen aus meinem Leben zu verbannen. In Malaysia kann ich als Eislauftrainer meinen Lebensunterhalt bestreiten. Und auch an Schaulaufen wird man mich hoffentlich zwischendurch engagieren, auch in der Schweiz. (...)

Translation
(...) I’ve thought for a very long time, I talked to people close to me and I listened to my heart. I love skating, thanks to it I was able to experience incredible things and skating made me the person I am today.
It is a shame that I cannot be on the ice during the European Championships 2011 at home in Bern. However, my decision depended upon more and bigger factors. Time has come for me to take another step forward in my life.
As the recipient of the “Linkokwing Foundation for Creative Excellent” stipend, I am exempted from all fees at the modern University of Arts. So I will move to Kuala Lumpur to study event management.
I am closing a chapter, but I definitely won’t exclude skating from my life. I can make a living as a skating coach in Malaysia and hopefully I will be invited once in a while to shows, also in Switzerland. (...)

He also thanks everyone who supported him, especially his coach Jacqueline Kiefer who coached him for 17 years.

Good luck, Jamal, for your future!

shah
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Stephane, Antoine, Jamal :(...I hope at least Sarah Meier will appear in Bern next year...

Eislauffan
06-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Stephane, Antoine, Jamal :(...I hope at least Sarah Meier will appear in Bern next year...

Yes, it's really unfortunate for Switzerland that so many of their top skaters are retiring just before Euros in Bern.

MikiAndoFan#1
06-19-2010, 02:44 PM

I read somewhere that Sarah will continue for Europeans in Bern. She said she wanted to do her best in her home country!

Kasey
06-19-2010, 04:02 PM
:( I'm glad he has other plans, and I hope he will be happy and successful in his life. He'll be missed, what a beautiful style on the ice he has.

museksk8r
06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
:(:wuzrobbed *sigh* The dreaded mass exodus post-2010 Olympics is sadly upon us.

Marge_Simpson
06-19-2010, 04:33 PM
:(

elanor
06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Looks like almost the entire Swiss team decided to retire. :(
It's understandable he chose education. I greatly enjoyed his skating.
Good luck to Jamal, maybe we will still see him in Art on Ice.

Jackie Sparrow
06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes, it's really unfortunate for Switzerland that so many of their top skaters are retiring just before Euros in Bern.
The fed should have done some effort to get Euros earlier but they didnt plan ahead which isnt surprising :blah:

Domshabfan
06-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Good luck to Jamal with both his studies and as well as coaching in Malaysia.

genevieve
06-19-2010, 05:29 PM
:wuzrobbed

Best of luck to Jamal, sounds like he has a really exciting opportunity. I will miss seeing him on the ice.

igniculus
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
:fragile: :wuzrobbed Such a beautiful and graceful skater! I wish him all the best in his education and hope he can teach many younglings to skate as gorgeous as he did! :saint: :swoon: