PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Othman retires from competition

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Jackie Sparrow
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
As for Jamal, his dad is from Malaysia if I remember correctly.
You are correct.

mrinalini
06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I grew up in Malaysia and had no idea there was skating going on there. All the best to Jamal. Out of curiosity, based on his name, is he a Swiss who is a Muslim?

If I remember correctly, his dad is a Malay from Malaysia, and if Jamal had been born and raised in that country, he would have to be Muslim because that's how it works in Malaysia. If at least one parent is Malay/Muslim (Malays are not allowed by law to follow any religion other than Islam), the spouse would have to convert and thus the children would be Muslim, too.

I'm not sure how it works if one is born (of a Malay parent) and raised overseas, but just going by his name I would guess Jamal was raised Muslim and that his father remained in the faith even after moving to Switzerland.

Nan
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I will miss seeing him skate in competitions, but hope we will still see him in shows. It sounds like he has some great opportunities available and a plan for his future in place.

skatesindreams
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Jamal will be missed.
He was a lovely skater; and seems to be a fine young man.
I wish him every success in the future.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Antoshka retired???
Where have I been?

TAHbKA
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Antoshka retired???
Where have I been?

In the wrong thread, apparently. Wait, you still are!

yukky
06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I will miss him.:(

Civic
06-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Jamal Othman sent out a press release this morning, announcing his retirement from competitive skating. He will study in Malaysia, coach skating there and would still like to skate in shows.

I didn't realize Malaysia had any ice rinks; let alone organized figure skating instruction. The best of luck to Jamal in both his studies and coaching.

Edited to add: I guess that leaves Tugba Kadamir as the only Muslim competing at the international level in figure skating. Or has she retired as well?

Ziggy
06-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't think there have been any announcements regarding Tugba's competetive career.

Although being the age she is and with not much progress on the jumps for the last several years, I would imagine she might throw in the towel.

I hope not, because I really adore her skating and I loved her Turkish Folk SP this season. :)

MR-FAN
06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I hope not, because I really adore her skating and I loved her Turkish Folk SP this season. :)

Not a big fan, but that was one of my favorite SPs last season!