PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Othman retires from competition

Pages : 1 [2] 3

briancoogaert
06-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Pffff
Such a talented skater that we didn't see enough at competitions.
Good luck for the future, we love you ! :cheer2:

SamuraiK
06-19-2010, 06:58 PM
It's really a shame the swiss situation in their own Euros..:(

But then again they have multiple spots: 3 in men, 2 in ladies (2 in pairs also but there's none left), so this is gonna be a HUGE opportunity for the up and comers..

Rex
06-19-2010, 08:49 PM
The sky is black, for all the stars hath fallen from it.

Black is now the color of my soul.

MR-FAN
06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Stephane, Antoine, Jamal :(...I hope at least Sarah Meier will appear in Bern next year...

Yes. It still pains me that Stephane didn't stick it out till Euros in Bern

TAHbKA
06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
So at the best the Swiss skaters at Euros will be Meier and Morand, at the worst erm.. no one?

Best of luck to Othman, he will be missed

sweetsparky
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I certainly will miss watching him at Bern, I was hoping he would stay competing this season :(

I wish him good luck

Ziggy
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
:(:wuzrobbed *sigh* The dreaded mass exodus post-2010 Olympics is sadly upon us.

Oh it's much more than that. I am sure it has a lot to do with the reduction in the number of skaters at the ISU Championships that has just passed at Congress.

iamawake2
06-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I grew up in Malaysia and had no idea there was skating going on there. All the best to Jamal. Out of curiosity, based on his name, is he a Swiss who is a Muslim?

Ziggy
06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I grew up in Malaysia and had no idea there was skating going on there.

It hasn't been going on long, they've only started to develop it quite recently.

Aussie Willy
06-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Awww I really liked him.

Aussie Willy
06-20-2010, 05:03 AM
I grew up in Malaysia and had no idea there was skating going on there. All the best to Jamal. Out of curiosity, based on his name, is he a Swiss who is a Muslim?

For quite a while we get skaters popping up at our rinks in Melbourne who are pretty good. They are students studying here. So it has been going on quite a while. Probably just not in the top ranks of the sport.

Finnice
06-20-2010, 09:53 AM
The sky is black, for all the stars hath fallen from it.

Black is now the color of my soul.

My feelings, too!

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Jamal has been a huge favourite of mine. All the best for him in his studies, though!

Eislauffan
06-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Malaysia even has joined the ISU, maybe last year or so. The Federation has a website: http://www.isam.my/
There is figure skating going on in countries that are not members of the ISU and that obviously don't participate in ISU events. There was skating in Malaysia before they joined the ISU. Also, I remember there was an incident at the Winter Universiade in Harbin when non-ISU members sent skaters, Pakistan was one of them, Kuweit and maybe Malaysia as well. They were not eligible to compete, though, as the Winter Universiade is conducted according to ISU rules.
As for Jamal, his dad is from Malaysia if I remember correctly.

belladella
06-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm going to miss Jamal. I will miss his determination out there on the ice year after year. He added such grace and beauty to competitions. Congratulations to him and good luck in all his future undertakings.

overedge
06-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm going to miss Jamal. I will miss his determination out there on the ice year after year. He added such grace and beauty to competitions.

^^This. It was great that he stuck it out for so long, but I can understand completely if he decided it wasn't enjoyable any more, or if $$$ were an issue too.

He is the sort of skater that doesn't get the big attention or the medals but who is often way more enjoyable to watch....